What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hell has frozen over!!! Live Footy in Melbourne!!!

applesauce

Bench
Channel 9 are showing the Storm V Panthers LIVE into Melbourne at 3:00pm! (According to the FootyShow)

You Victorians better watch it!!!

So could this be a regular thing and this is a preview to the AS laws?

Ladmate

Bench
Hopefully. Maybe this is desperate from 9, they want the NRL rights and don't want the NRL to tell them to f**k off.

Brutus

Referee
I'm not that excited.

It needs to be written into a contract and shown on a regular basis.

I'll bet this is a one off or close to it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Typical, show a Penrith game with no crowd support just to reinforce the vic veiw that RL is dying :roll:

9 had their chance any time so far during the season and esp in the first week or two when there was no AFL on.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I'm not that excited.

It needs to be written into a contract and shown on a regular basis.

I'll bet this is a one off or close to it.

this is basically it unfortunately.. one offs wont rate at all especially when the public won't even know it's being broadcasted

YA!D

Juniors
Dammit. I enjoyed watching Channel 9 show 5 minutes of advertisements inbetween each tackle.

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, it's good news. However, as well as concuring with Brutus' point, I have to ask: why has this happened all of a sudden, after so many years of neglect? I'm more interested to see whether or not Ch9 are prepared to do this if the Storm are playing on a Friday Night (as the Friday Night ratings are more higher than Sunday afternoons)? THAT will be the real test that Storm fans face, not showing games live on the lower rating Sunday afternoon timeslot. However, we probably won't know that until at least Rd 20 (when they play the Broncos at AAMI Park, which most likely will be on Friday Night).

Last time Storm got a live Ch9 game was vs Brisbane last year (first game at AAMI Park) on Sunday arvo, and got about 90000 viewers into Melbourne. Will be interesting to see what they get this time. Realistically, what do you think this game should draw into Melbourne? 100000+ viewers?

Last edited:

AuckMel

Bench
Going up against the Suns v Demons AFL game from the Gabba.

A one-off game which wont be done again. I'd expect around 80k if the game gets some advertising before kick off.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Doesn't even matter if there are 0 people at the ground.

The reason channel 9 is doing this is to DEVALUE the product for renegotiation. It's not because they're scared at all.

All they want to do is show the NRL live into Melbourne on a Sunday afternoon, get a terrible audience there, and then say 'see - why should this thing be worth bidding on channels 7/10?'

A second bonus for nine is that they can then say 'see - Sunday afternoon LIVE footy doesn't rate well -let's keep the delayed broadcast' [which they prefer since it leads into the news]

Scumbags!

user_nat

Coach
Last time Storm got a live Ch9 game was vs Brisbane last year (first game at AAMI Park) on Sunday arvo, and got about 90000 viewers into Melbourne. Will be interesting to see what they get this time. Realistically, what do you think this game should draw into Melbourne? 100000+ viewers?

Don't think it will do more than last year. Last year had the advantage of being 2 days after the Anzac test. Which was also live into Melbourne, so that they could advertise it. It was also Storms first game at AAMI, and against Brisbane (who probably draw better than Penrith).

parano1a

Juniors
I could see this game rating reasonably in Melbourne for a few reasons:

The AFL match is on a one hour delay, is between 2 teams with very low support, and likely to be a blow-out where the result could be already known before the telecast starts.

The factor working against the NRL is the late notice and lack of promotion. All the weekly tv guides have the game listed as after midnight, and there only indication of this broadcast i've seen in the media was a 1 line column in the herald sun today. There's not much point announcing it on The Footy Show NRL version when it airs after midnight as well. If Nine are serious they need to promote the broadcast during National 9 news tonight and Saturday night.

Brutus

Referee
Nine will not advertise this game, so nobody will know it is on.

Why couldn't these pricks have started the season yelling from the rooftops "any Sunday afternoon Storm games will be live"?? Why start doing this sh*t now with no publicity at all.

Nein are pricks.

gUt

Coach
Fatty on the Footy Show last night after announcing this: "Nine are the best... the best!" I know it's his job but still he must know what utter bollocks that is.

applesauce

Bench
I think it has to do with the anti-siphoning laws coming in.

Melbourne will have to show the Sunday game LIVE every week once it is finalised (but possibly only on GEM or GO).

Otherwise they will lead into the news with the low rating RL games or have to show it in Prime time according to the "no later than 4hours broadcast rule".

adamkungl

Immortal
Doesn't even matter if there are 0 people at the ground.

The reason channel 9 is doing this is to DEVALUE the product for renegotiation. It's not because they're scared at all.

All they want to do is show the NRL live into Melbourne on a Sunday afternoon, get a terrible audience there, and then say 'see - why should this thing be worth bidding on channels 7/10?'

A second bonus for nine is that they can then say 'see - Sunday afternoon LIVE footy doesn't rate well -let's keep the delayed broadcast' [which they prefer since it leads into the news]

Scumbags!

^this

Ram Man

Juniors
Fatty on the Footy Show last night after announcing this: "Nine are the best... the best!" I know it's his job but still he must know what utter bollocks that is.

If I was a talentless dickhead that fell arse backwards into a job that pays over $700k a year, I would be smoking my employer as well.