What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Bills: Union-league hybrid 'saviour of both codes'

Stagger Lee

Bench
Union know they have too many players in a team and know that it's as boring as bat sh*t ..... let the bumsniffers rot in hell

Go league! :)

Brutus

Referee
Well 6 Nations and HEC cup look pretty big to me.

Take the 6 nations out and union is nothing special.

Saw highlights of an English union game from the last season and there was three men and a dog in the crowd.

We know you love it Teddy.

You are one of the more low-key trolls here. You do it well.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Take the 6 nations out and union is nothing special.

Saw highlights of an English union game from the last season and there was three men and a dog in the crowd.

We know you love it Teddy.

You are one of the more low-key trolls here. You do it well.

If being a troll is telling your view of things then I stand guilty.But if Rugby League in Europe had a great crowds from internationals,6 Nations and the HEC then i be happy as i pig in sh*t.
You can not ignore how big Rugby Union is on a certain scale in Ireland,France,England as well as Wales and Italy.
You and I and the rest of the board know Rugby League is so much better then Union but for some reason there are a lot of idiots in the U.K.,France,Italy who strangely don't like or watch RL which pisses me off.
Saying that there are a whole load of idiots in Australia who think Rugby League is sh*t and Aussie Rules is good.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Union is nothing in Ireland compared to Gaelic Football and Hurling.

Rugby Union has grown a rapidly in the past 8 years in Ireland while GAA crowds are falling.
No one is saying Rugby Union is bigger then the GAA.
The only place where crowds are bad is Scotland (which is expected as the game had more old farts then England) and the made up Welsh teams although the welsh national side is still the number team.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I wouldn't call Italy a Union stronghold either.

No but it's doing alight for crowds in internationals.If that was Rugby League I be pretty proud.
I think a lot of the problems with Rugby League is historical but I need a big glass of Red to type that down (I might start a new thread about it).

Rogue.9

Juniors
I cannot see the 60 second rule helping league. The entire time would just be players running from dummy half.

LRC

They dont get it..rugby league is rugby union...except its the evolved form of the game.
Remember, when it (rugby) became proffesional they had to evolve the rules so people would actually want to pay to see it because the original was so boring...and its kept on evolving for a 100 years or so!!
Why would you take it back a step towards union when we have evolved it so far..its not perfect yet but its a hell of a lot closer than union is.

babyg

Juniors
There are points that are valid such as we should work together more against soccer and afl. But agree that it's better to focus on promoting touch and oztag. It would be awesome to see Nrl and union players both in the sevens at the olympics. A high profile sevens game between both games would generate heaps of interest and would be for the game.

Teddyboy

First Grade
There are points that are valid such as we should work together more against soccer and afl. But agree that it's better to focus on promoting touch and oztag. It would be awesome to see Nrl and union players both in the sevens at the olympics. A high profile sevens game between both games would generate heaps of interest and would be for the game.

Agreed.

lturner

Juniors
A Kangaroos V Wallabies game would be huge, no doubt. Or instead combined Aus V combined NZ would be massive as well.

With the amount of money a one-off hybrid game could generate, I reckon it will happen sooner or later.

BDGS

Bench
Does anybody else remember how this worked out?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ue-v-rugby-union/story-e6frfgbo-1111118120874

SECRET negotiations are taking place to secure an historic Kangaroos versus Wallabies match next October.

The game has been booked for ANZ Stadium, where officials have labelled it the biggest event since the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The negotiations are in their infancy and their eventual success ultimately will depend on the delicate relationship between the Australian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby League.

However the first dramatic chink in the seemingly impenetrable barrier that has separated the codes for 100 years has been made.

The prospect of watching Matt Giteau taking on Darren Lockyer, Stirling Mortlock against Greg Inglis and the like would cause unprecedented interest among Australian sports fans.

The blockbuster will generate an estimated $15 million, while promoters have promised $2 million to a children's hospital.

ARL chairman Colin Love has agreed, in principle, to the game - supporting an idea that benefits children's charities.

Australian Rugby Union chairman Peter McGrath was told about the bold proposal yesterday and preferred to speak to chief executive John O'Neill before commenting.

Promoter Phil Franks has promised to work closely with both the Australian Rugby Union and Australian Rugby League in order to ensure the game goes ahead.

Franks intends to formally approach ARU chief executive John O'Neill and ARL counterpart Geoff Carr this week.

"I didn't want to speak to them until they got a taste of the enormity and benefit of it," he said last night.

"John O'Neill is the sort of man that can make this happen because he is a business genius."

For 100 years football fans have argued about the respective merits of league versus union - who would win and why - and now they appear set to get their answer.

Some of the biggest names from each code, including former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer and former Kangaroos coach Bob Fulton, support the hybrid match.

"There's a lot of reasons for playing it," Dwyer said.

"One of the important reasons is, if we are in the entertainment industry and those people that we are trying to attract want to see it - and it does seem like the people we're trying to attract do want to see it - then isn't that what we're here for?"

Until now, any attempt to decide the best footballers between the codes has been unsatisfactory. Generally played under home team rules, the result has often ended wildly in favour of the home team.

But Franks, a property developer who played league for Norths, Balmain and Penrith, believes he has the key, and after booking ANZ Stadium for the game last week he patented "Hybrid Twelve" on Friday.

He is also close to signing an underwriter for a multi-million- dollar deal.

The success of the match will depend on establishing rules that ultimately decide the best football team and not which team is best advantaged by the rule interpretations. Dwyer and Fulton will be part of the rules committee charged with finding rules that suit both codes equally.

Another high-profile rugby expert has also committed, while it is planned that other experts will also be invited.

"It will be an absolutely outstanding promotion and, just being a football fan, I'd love to see it," Fulton said.

"And I'm sure there's plenty of other people that, as long as the t's are crossed and the i's dotted in relation to getting it together, would love to see it also.

"The players from both codes would also love to be involved in a game of this stature."

While both codes will undoubtedly have their prejudices about pushing forward with the game, the money involved might make it impossible to ignore.

Both the codes are currently exploring new ways to supplement their income.

The recent world economic downturn has also bitten hard, with rugby sponsorships dropping by more than $1 million among some Australian provinces.

The ARU also has several "black holes" in next year's schedule brought about by the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. Because the Lions are touring, the British nations - Scotland, Wales and England, as well as Ireland - will not be touring individually, ruling out any tours to Australia.

The "Hybrid Twelve" would sell out ANZ Stadium, drawing a gate upwards of $8 million with local and international television rights on top of that.

Still, for all the financial benefits Franks knows a lot must happen before contracts are signed.

ARL chairman Colin Love supports the hybrid match in principle, while ARU chairman Peter McGrath will speak to O'Neill about it this week after being told about it yesterday.

Another obstacle for the ARU is that it would have to receive IRB approval.

"I want both of these parties to embrace it and get the politics out of it so they will see the benefits to their codes," Franks said.

Lol, good luck with it Yawnion.

Last edited: