What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

*Sandy*

First Grade
I would hope that Petero had a good relationship with Elliott. So I'm not surprised by his response or by any players response. They still have a season left with him.

Elliotts time was up, he's had his 5 years, 2 more years than he should have imo and he has to move on.

I'm definately not sorry to see him go but I wish him luck for the rest of the season and he needs it if he wants to stay being a head coach anywhere else in the future, cause he knows his time at Penith sucked majorly and will impact on his portfolio.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gee people are quick to jump on Petero. It's not like he is a rookie. He's knows a thing or two & had 10 odd years at a very successful Brisbane.

Although he won't say anything publicly. I would think the captain would know more then us. People higher up may of signed the duds we have currently hence them not being played. Given we signed Tahu from player pressure how do we know others haven't been wanted to be denied or mucked up negoiations.

The players don't want to lose. Whilist I applaud the choice to punt ME. The players know more than us.

Article in todays herald saying our main target is sheens.

I dont really want him TBH , we need a younger coach with a connection to the modern game. Sheens record since he left the raiders is pretty ordinary.

Panthers have Sheens in their sights as man to take over from Elliott
Brad Walter, Greg Prichard, Chris Barrett

April 27, 2011

art_tim-sheens-420x0.jpg
Wanted man . . . Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens. Photo: Peter Rae

WESTS TIGERS coach Tim Sheens has emerged as a surprise candidate to replace Matthew Elliott at Penrith next season, with the four-time premiership-winning mentor understood to be at the top of a hit list to be discussed at a Panthers board meeting today.
Penrith directors have been considering a new coach for more than a week after voting to sack Elliott on the morning of the April 17 clash with Melbourne but insist no decision has been made on his successor at the end of the season.
As revealed in Saturday's Herald, former St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown, NSW Origin mentor Ricky Stuart and Elliott's assistant, Steve Georgallis, are the other leading contenders for the job.
Advertisement: Story continues below
But the Herald understands that Sheens is the No.1 target of Penrith officials hoping to persuade him to return to the club he played 166 first-grade games for between 1970 and 1982 and began his coaching career with after that, taking the Panthers to their first finals series, in 1985.
Despite the Tigers board endorsing a two-year contract extension for Sheens at a meeting on April 6, the Australian Test coach is yet to finalise his future, and it is understood he was unhappy with reports it was a done deal for him to remain at the club.
English club Widnes, who have been re-admitted to Super League next season, have also targeted Sheens, and he has been linked to the Wigan job made vacant by South Sydney's appointment of Michael Maguire, but the strength of the Australian dollar has made a move overseas less appealing for coaches and players.
Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys was aware of the interest in Sheens but remains confident the man who steered the joint venture to the 2005 premiership will remain at the helm until at least 2013.
''Given Tim's credentials, I am not surprised there is interest in other clubs in Super League and other clubs in the NRL,'' Humphreys said. ''I would expect any club looking for a coach would have him at the top of their list. But I am not concerned with who other clubs want as coach, my only concern is doing what is right for Tim and for us and every conversation I have had with him has been positive. He has invested a lot of himself in our club and I think he can see successful times ahead.''
Penrith chief executive Michael Leary said it was ''100 per cent'' that the club had not yet signed a coach for next year but added: ''The position will obviously be discussed at the meeting in the morning.''
Leary said the decision not to renew Elliott's contract was based on the board's assessment of his performance as coach since taking over from John Lang in 2007.
He said it was best for the club and Elliott that a decision was made early in the season, to give everyone involved plenty of time to make other arrangements for next year.
Asked if the club had a preference among the coaches in the mix for the job, he said: ''I can't say that, can I?''
Asked about Sheens, and whether he was a target, Leary replied: ''You know how many coaches have been linked to us. I'm not prepared to discuss any of those names.''
Brown has another year to run on his contract with Huddersfield but is expected to return home at the end of the Super League season after his wife, Tanya, gave birth to their fourth child, a boy, at the weekend.
Stuart is also looking to resume his NRL coaching career and it is understood Melbourne under-20s coach Dean Pay, who is off contract with the Storm at the end of the season, would be his assistant if he got the job.
Georgallis is also considered a serious option, and Elliott has given the former Magpies, Roosters and Wests Tigers utility his backing to step up to the head coaching job next season.
The Panthers financial situation, illustrated by the fact they do not have a full-time physiotherapist or strapper, may favour Georgallis, as he would be a cheaper appointment than the likes of Sheens and Stuart.
The Herald has been told players have regularly had to strap themselves or be strapped by a teammate before training - a situation one club insider described as ''being like park football''. However, Panthers officials insist they could afford to pay as much for a top coach as most other NRL clubs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rom-elliott-20110426-1dv6w.html#ixzz1KdjSr4rK

age.s

First Grade
I'd take Sheens. His record at the Tigers is up and down, and he's not anywhere near perfect but IMO he's a better choice than most of the options being bandied about. He knows how to win premierships at least. He'd get us playing attacking footy, and it would be nice to be the media darlings for a change.

Doubt it'll happen though. I'd be fine with Brown too.

franklin2323

Immortal
So he was gone 2 weeks ago? Why not announce it sooner we could be 2 weeks closer to having a coach named and working towards a new roster for next year.

Big Mick

Referee
No thanks to Sheens.

I just think he is past it now. He has as questionable selections as Elliot.

If he brings Marshall with him but...awesome..lol

Petero was dumbfounded by the decision
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...yers-are-stunned/story-e6frf3ou-1226045196036

You know Petero was a great signing but I think he has overstayed his welcome, he has aligned himself way too closely with Elliot and if anything I don't think his form warrants starting anymore, McKendry and Grant should be our starting props.

You serious? He is one of the leading players with meters gained and hit ups. Without him here, Grant and McKendry wouldn't be one tenth of the players they are developing into. Petero leads up example and until McKendry, Grant or Bell do the same then obviously Petero deserves to start. It's not like the other veteran forward in Waterhouse leads from the front, take Petero out and watch the Panthers capitulate quicker and worser than they have already.

Big Mick

Referee
Yeah, I know....So?

Really...still need an explanation.

Ok...

His assistant coaches coach for him. He just speaks...

You can't do that in the NRL.

Its fine for a 3 game series where motivation is high and your are among elite of the elite athletes.

You can't do that in the NRL where you have to manage a lot more ego's and actually coach juniors and develop players not just talk to established and star players.

Hence why he was bounced from Canberra & hasn't been seen coaching a first grade team since.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No thanks to Sheens.

I just think he is past it now. He has as questionable selections as Elliot.

If he brings Marshall with him but...awesome..lol
come on Mick, you're not being fair.

We've been trying to unload this Sheens prick for the last 4 years, we finally have an opportunity and you want to get in the way lol

He'd improve the attack and players attitudes, but he'll also demand more authority within the club than he deserves/requires as well.

come on Mick, you're not being fair.

We've been trying to unload this Sheens prick for the last 4 years, we finally have an opportunity and you want to get in the way lol

He'd improve the attack and players attitudes, but he'll also demand more authority within the club than he deserves/requires as well.

We just suffered Elliott be fair

parra pete

Referee
Really...still need an explanation.

Ok...

His assistant coaches coach for him. He just speaks...

You can't do that in the NRL.

Its fine for a 3 game series where motivation is high and your are among elite of the elite athletes.

You can't do that in the NRL where you have to manage a lot more ego's and actually coach juniors and develop players not just talk to established and star players.

Hence why he was bounced from Canberra & hasn't been seen coaching a first grade team since.

I didn't realise he knew nothing about the game...Thanks for putting me straight....

Big Mick

Referee
I didn't realise he knew nothing about the game...Thanks for putting me straight....

LOL

Did I say he knew NOTHING about the game.

My point is the tactical side of things, setting gameplans in motion, developing younger players, setting up a structure for junior leagues development. He doesn't do that kind of thing normally.

That is my point.

Its a big difference coaching elite stars for 3 games a year, to coaching an NRL team every week.

He failed at that once.

He is a great motivator for QLD because he has passion for it. You honestly think he'd bring that same passion to Penrith?

anjado

Juniors
I would love Sheens at Penrith. He is the greatest coach we have ever had yes better than Gould. When he originally took over Penrith we were on the verge of folding yet got us to the Semi finals 2 years later. He unearthed some of the best players we have ever had Geyer,Alexander,Cartwright,Van Der Voort,Carter he also signed Fittler when he was a schoolboy.

He also brought through Carroll and Butterfield but the club got rid of them.

People say his win record is ordinary but he has only really been bad at the cowboys when they were a brand new side.

He used to go to every schoolboy game and loads of junior club games when he was Penrith coach. Guy has a fantastic record in bringing in quality juniors and would really help the club in this way.

We would also be good to watch which we haven't been since 2004. I think Sheens would do a fantastic job at the club he is someone we should never of lost to be honest.