What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Art Vandalay

Juniors
yes i agree fathertime, every game they have lost they have been extremely competitive and often the better team. the only game i can think of them getting dominated was against parra, i wont be one bit surprised if they upset illawarra. look for lodge, glanville and zelezniak to fire, cant wait !

stretcher

Juniors
yes i agree fathertime, every game they have lost they have been extremely competitive and often the better team. the only game i can think of them getting dominated was against parra, i wont be one bit surprised if they upset illawarra. look for lodge, glanville and zelezniak to fire, cant wait !
The only difference now is that every game from now on is a grand final with more pressure but i think the hard coaching they have had all year will steel them for the pressure cooker semis and the whinging everyone has done about hard coaching may pay dividends........

junior fan

Juniors
The only difference now is that every game from now on is a grand final with more pressure but i think the hard coaching they have had all year will steel them for the pressure cooker semis and the whinging everyone has done about hard coaching may pay dividends........

Agree 100%. No doubt the coaching has been the difference. Addison is a quality coach and a tough early draw and good coaching has paid huge dividends. They haven't lost since round 3 and despite a speed bump against the roosters (played in atrociouis conditions) they have improved every week and are now firing at the right time of the season. Reminds me of the tigers of 05 shocking start to the season 0-5 to come good at the right time. No doubt Illawarra will be nervous the contest could come down to a few match-ups Lodge v Attalah, Glanville v Bird, Viiga v Monds and who ever can contain DJ Harris out wide. Good Luck Boys tipping them for a win. Also think Dogs will get Parra which will open the comp right up.

ranga

Juniors
well its all over for this year but I believe there high hopes for next year for both sides ,mats will be strong and ball could have maybe 10 or so backing up

stretcher

Juniors
well its all over for this year but I believe there high hopes for next year for both sides ,mats will be strong and ball could have maybe 10 or so backing up
Sgball will have DAVID ANJELIC,ROY TEUKU,LEONATI FELICKATAU,BRYCE CARTWRIGHT,JAKE MACLOUF,SAM HICKEY,WIKI TUAVAO,JOSH WALKER THAT MAKES 8 BACKING UP PARRAMATTA HAVE 15 SO I GUESS THEY WILL BE THE YARDSTICK NEXT YEAR

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Rob Jennings played sensationally well a year young this year. I expect him to really carve Harold Matthews next year.

fathertime

Juniors
Will Matt Elliott leaving at seasons end mean anything for the Junior Rep structure? Will any of the lower coaches get promoted or will they get cleared out?

stretcher

Juniors
Will Matt Elliott leaving at seasons end mean anything for the Junior Rep structure? Will any of the lower coaches get promoted or will they get cleared out?
dID ELLIOT ACTUALLY HAVE ANY REP STRUCTURE ?ITS A BIT OF A COINCEDENCE THAT SINCE HE HAS BEEN THERE OUR JUNIOR REPS HAVE GONE DOWNHILL?OR AM I BEING CRITICAL IN MY OPINION HE HAD HIS CHANCE 5YEARS TO PROVE HIMSELF I BET SOME OF THE JUNIOR COACHES WOULD LIKE THE SAME BENEFIT.....BUT AS USUAL THEY FAIL THEY GO LOOK AT THE LAST TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THIS YEAR SGBALL MADE THE SEMIFINALS AND GOT BEAT BOTH COACHES GONE WILL IT MAKE SENSE THAT ATKINS GET ANOTHER GO GIVEN HE DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE SEMIS????????AND NOW ONE OF HIS OLD MATES ELLIOT IS GONE..

straightup

Juniors
dID ELLIOT ACTUALLY HAVE ANY REP STRUCTURE ?ITS A BIT OF A COINCEDENCE THAT SINCE HE HAS BEEN THERE OUR JUNIOR REPS HAVE GONE DOWNHILL?OR AM I BEING CRITICAL IN MY OPINION HE HAD HIS CHANCE 5YEARS TO PROVE HIMSELF I BET SOME OF THE JUNIOR COACHES WOULD LIKE THE SAME BENEFIT.....BUT AS USUAL THEY FAIL THEY GO LOOK AT THE LAST TWO YEARS PRIOR TO THIS YEAR SGBALL MADE THE SEMIFINALS AND GOT BEAT BOTH COACHES GONE WILL IT MAKE SENSE THAT ATKINS GET ANOTHER GO GIVEN HE DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE SEMIS????????AND NOW ONE OF HIS OLD MATES ELLIOT IS GONE..

stretcher why is jj looking to buy more 16&17yr old players outside the metro area and overseas, havent we got the biggest talent pool in the penrith area.

Fibroman

First Grade
stretcher why is jj looking to buy more 16&17yr old players outside the metro area and overseas, havent we got the biggest talent pool in the penrith area.

Biggest talent pool doesn't necessarily mean the best talent. Johns, Lockyer, Lewis etc. didn't come from Penrith JRL.

straightup

Juniors
Biggest talent pool doesn't necessarily mean the best talent. Johns, Lockyer, Lewis etc. didn't come from Penrith JRL.

that is true fibroman but they should put more effort into the ones they have got and develop them better.because i hear disharmony at matts and sgball.

cmtf

Juniors
What is u/12 development weekend, u/13 development squad, u/13 development squad & games, u/14 development squad & games, u/ 15 development squad & games not enough? And as for disharmony, from what i have seen (at games) it looks like some kids think they are better than they actually are, thats not disharmony its called having a big ego! That does not work in a team environment.

fathertime

Juniors
that is true fibroman but they should put more effort into the ones they have got and develop them better.because i hear disharmony at matts and sgball.

Sounds like someone trying to start a nasty rumour here. I was at the Penrith Ball v Perth game and you could tell by the body language after the first try at about the 15 minutes mark (just after the long injury break) that Penrith thought they could cruise to victory. I would suggest that was more a sign of confidence than disharmony

I remember a key stage when the big 24 (im terrible with names) fell just short of the line and then Bryce Cartwright tried a difficult offload. I remember thinking that was a key moment, because not long after that, Perth raced to a 28 - 16 lead and the game was gone. It seemed to start a chain of dropped balls early in the tackle count for penrith, including one straight froma drop out right near the end. That one phase of the year cost the ball team their place in the 8. They looked like a team under pressure at the end of that game, not a team in disharmony. Apart from that, they beat the teams they should beat with the exception of the Roosters in round 5. Santini was excellent all year

The Matts meanwhile played their guts out in the semi v the steelers and many, including myself believe the best team lost. You are always going to get some disgruntled players in any team, particularly those who are not playing much.

Not fair to start rumours.....pass opinions on by all means but rumours are no good

ranga

Juniors
Sounds like someone trying to start a nasty rumour here. I was at the Penrith Ball v Perth game and you could tell by the body language after the first try at about the 15 minutes mark (just after the long injury break) that Penrith thought they could cruise to victory. I would suggest that was more a sign of confidence than disharmony

I remember a key stage when the big 24 (im terrible with names) fell just short of the line and then Bryce Cartwright tried a difficult offload. I remember thinking that was a key moment, because not long after that, Perth raced to a 28 - 16 lead and the game was gone. It seemed to start a chain of dropped balls early in the tackle count for penrith, including one straight froma drop out right near the end. That one phase of the year cost the ball team their place in the 8. They looked like a team under pressure at the end of that game, not a team in disharmony. Apart from that, they beat the teams they should beat with the exception of the Roosters in round 5. Santini was excellent all year

The Matts meanwhile played their guts out in the semi v the steelers and many, including myself believe the best team lost. You are always going to get some disgruntled players in any team, particularly those who are not playing much.

Not fair to start rumours.....pass opinions on by all means but rumours are no good

sweet-as

Juniors

To me it seemed like they had way too much focus on the following week and the semis. For example, Jennings being dropped and Waddell being "rested". On the other hand that was WA's grand final for them, espescially for the ones who had to travel to Western Australia as they didnt make Penrith.
They underestimated Western Australia who came off a narrow loss the week before to canberra who beat the Roosters by 60 points.

Coaches can't be blamed for our poor rep season, I believe Jim Jones is the person to blame and if Penrith are serious about getting back to where they were, he needs to go.

Fibroman

First Grade
To me it seemed like they had way too much focus on the following week and the semis. For example, Jennings being dropped and Waddell being "rested". On the other hand that was WA's grand final for them, espescially for the ones who had to travel to Western Australia as they didnt make Penrith.
They underestimated Western Australia who came off a narrow loss the week before to canberra who beat the Roosters by 60 points.

Coaches can't be blamed for our poor rep season, I believe Jim Jones is the person to blame and if Penrith are serious about getting back to where they were, he needs to go.

The whole joint needs a swish with a big broom. The results across all grades speak for themselves.

If it's broken..................... fix it.

franklin2323

Immortal

Yep. The coach can only use what he has got. It's up to management to adequately fund and Jim Jones to affectively give them the best in the respective age groups.

fathertime

Juniors
Yep. The coach can only use what he has got. It's up to management to adequately fund and Jim Jones to affectively give them the best in the respective age groups.

It will be interesting to see where they lay the blame this time. Penrith Junior reps is not known for it' stability. There have been lots of new coaches each year with only one recent success (2010) It would be a pleasant surprise if there was some stability and they let each coach have at least another year but I cannot see it happening.

SOmething definitely needs fixing somewhere because the talent base is being maximised