What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

city/country

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It is a trial for NSW, but not all positions. Some are taken, but not all.

This also helped Dugan become 2nd in line behind Hayne, over Coote.

People underestimate, what playing in the game does, for a fringe guy, he knows he is at least being looked at, or not being looked at. Playing well enhances you rep.

Not a nothing game.

It should be a trial for NSW. If the selectors (who have done such a great job over the past five years) choose not to use it such that's their fault. Doesn't mean it isn't a worthwhile game though. It would be a huge event for the Albury area this year, and since many NRL clubs refuse to take pre-season games to the bush anymore the C/C game is at least one guaranteed country fixture per year. And it's actually even better than a pre-season trial because it is televised and gets plenty of attention. Plus it's a chance for country players to represent Country. If I was an elite player I would rather play for Country than NSW in a lot of ways.

Basically a test for fringe origin players to see who can make the step up. If you perform well in this game your origin chances improve. If you go out and have a howler, your origin chances take a big hit. There's been plenty of blokes who have made their NSW debut after a good performance in this game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well for me, we can all have opinions, but one thing that is consistant is the Players want to play the game.

SDM

First Grade
It is a good game to see how some players step up, and to see what injury Cooper will invent to get out of it.

johns_reds

First Grade
Not a nothing game, there is a good chance that half the nsw population will get to win a representive game this year. Knowing the players though they'll stuff it up and the game will end up being a draw and nobody wins.

LRC

If selectors need this one game to make a selection for origin then they have issues.
Im sure the selectors pretty much know exactly who is in the origin team already..if not, then another couple of rounds will certainly assist.
I agree with some aspewcts of Mr Angrys comments regarding giving young guys confidence...but maybe it should have an age restriction.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
waste of time. it's outdated from what i think it was intended to be used for decades ago.

i don't see how playing someone like hindmarsh or anasta shows the selectors anything they didnt know before.

i heard on one of the shows (roast? league lounge?) someone suggest they make it for under 23's, to me that idea has more merit than playing old timers against each other in a meaningless games

only good i can see out of it this year is that ennis and farah have another game to get at each other

Fibroman

First Grade
waste of time. it's outdated from what i think it was intended to be used for decades ago.

i don't see how playing someone like hindmarsh or anasta shows the selectors anything they didnt know before.

i heard on one of the shows (roast? league lounge?) someone suggest they make it for under 23's, to me that idea has more merit than playing old timers against each other in a meaningless games

only good i can see out of it this year is that ennis and farah have another game to get at each other

Agree. Should be only for players that haven't played origin before.

Latest posts