What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
You Nsw plebs just haven't seen Lockyer play enough that's all. Properly educated fans of the game know Lockyer owns Johns. Watch the first time they clashed in 1998. Both teams were premiers. Lockyer tore Johns and the knights to pieces. The Broncos made Johns and the whole town of Newcastle their BITCHES. In the biggest games eg finals, origin and test football Lockyer has it all over the incredibly over-rated Johns. If Johns were from Qld he would be just another good player. You nsw PLEBS just want to be able to say you've got the greatest of all time. Unfortunately for you it's WALLY by a mile. Johns isn't even the best player to come out of nsw. He may make the top 5 though. Have a look at Lockyer stats they speak for themselves. If only he kept kicking goals he'd have the points scoring for sure.

You're an idiot. Seriously mate this is the third bump i have seen from you today and all have been pointless.

In response to your post i only remember 1 premiers from 1997 and it wasn't the Broncos.

Pigskin

Juniors
I don't disagree with the poll result ... but Langer was better than Johns

Lewis is off the charts in front of all

Oink !

BunniesMan

Immortal
Andrew Johns is the greatest halfback of all time. Darren Lockyer is an absolute legend as well but not as good as Joey. QLD teams Lockyer was in could only win consistently when Joey retired.

IMO both are the #1 and #2 best players of the last 25 years. Ideally they'll be made immortals on the same day.

_Johnsy

Referee
Joey is just ahead of wally, why ?

Better goal kicker, tbh apart from that they didn't have a weakness.

Langer was great, but not in Joeys or wallys class.

timka4

Bench
Joey - by some fair margin. If he had an injury-free career like Lockyer... boy how much better he would have been.
What I was going to say. I admire Lockyer a lot and I believe he has had the best career out of any player over the past 20 years, maybe even longer as well, didn't know or see much of players before that.

But Joey was the better player and like said, if he wasn't so injury riddled he could of had an even better career to what he did have.

We are very lucky to have had them both in our game

Perce

Juniors
What I was going to say. I admire Lockyer a lot and I believe he has had the best career out of any player over the past 20 years, maybe even longer as well, didn't know or see much of players before that.

But Joey was the better player and like said, if he wasn't so injury riddled he could of had an even better career to what he did have.

We are very lucky to have had them both in our game

Spot on. And I'm a Queenslander.
You'd like Locky's public image, his premierships, his standing - but Johns is the best I've seen. And that includes Wally.

Loudstrat

Coach
I don't disagree with the poll result ... but Langer was better than Johns

Lewis is off the charts in front of all

Oink !
Squeal like a pig.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Joey is just ahead of wally, why ?

Better goal kicker, tbh apart from that they didn't have a weakness.

Langer was great, but not in Joeys or wallys class.

You lot forget that Wally was owned by Brett Kenny.

I dont remember anyone owning Joey, apart from maybe Freddy in the second half of the 2000 prelim final

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Joey. Even on performance debilitating drugs he was twice the player Lockyer was.

I wish JT played for a club with more grit - then it would be a more interesting poll.

LRC

Joey played a few of his years in the unlimited interchange rule era as well..this made it easier to mark him out of a game...yet he still was a star.
Lockyers build would never have survived the front line in that era.

Azkatro

First Grade
I dont remember anyone owning Joey, apart from maybe Freddy in the second half of the 2000 prelim final

Not sure how one half can "own" another when there are so many other factors which determine a football result. But if you're going to go there, you could happily argue that Brett Kimmorley "owned" Andrew Johns a number of times.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Joey, he was the absolute heart and soul of Newcastle for such a long time. And that 05' SOO comeback was amazing. Terrific goal-kicker, great defender and a superb competitor

babyg

Juniors
Gotta go with the guy with all the silverware. Lockyer. Who is the man to have at the end of a tight game? One is the ultimate clutch player, the other will just throw a tanti

applesauce

Bench
Gotta go with the guy with all the silverware. Lockyer. Who is the man to have at the end of a tight game? One is the ultimate clutch player, the other will just throw a tanti

That's the main reason I voted for Lockyer.

Johns had more brilliance to his game but not the consistency or longevity Lockyer has.

I think people will truly see how good Locky is once he is gone from the Broncos, QLD and Aus teams.