What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fitler v Laurie Daley

RABK

Referee
If I'm picking an all time Origin NSW team it'd be

6. Daley
13. Fittler
(Clyde backrow)

I think Daley was the slightly better player.

anjado

Juniors
Fittler was better had more longevity. Fittler's best performances were better then Daley's. When Daley retired the Raiders didn't really drop that far the Roosters dropped like a stone when Fittler retired.

I always thought Fittler was better, Daley whilst a great player in Canberra's great sides 89-94 you could argue he was there 3rd or 4th best player. When he became the Raiders best player they never came close to winning the Premiership in all honesty.

Fittler was Penrith's 3rd or 4th best player in 90-91. Fittler was the man for the Roosters in all four of there Grand Final appearances.

Fittler was the star player for a team who made 4 Grand finals out of 5.

Daley you could argue was behind Clyde,Meninga,Stuart in terms of that team's star player.

If you took Daley out of that Canberra side could you see them doing as well maybe not, But you could still see them challenging for Premierships with or without Daley.

Take Fittler out of the Roosters side from 00-04 and they truly have no chance of winning the competition.

LRC

IMO, Fittler had more ability but Daley had a much better work ethic than Fittler. Daley was a better defender and a better leader but Fittler could step off both feet and was lethal close to the line.

His semi final against Newcastle in 2000 was sublime. He single handedly dismantled the Knights after Darren Albert made that stupid gesture to the camera after scoring.

Fittler was lazy at times where as Daley was always competing at 110%. Daley retired relatively early (31) whereas Fittler retired at 33.

For mine, Daley wins on work ethic but there is a struck match between them.

Ive said this a million times before re: Fittler...he played alot his years in the unlimited or many interchange era.

He with Johns were the only 2 players from that era who stood out.... they were both playing against fresh defenders for 80 minutes as the opposition teams would just keep rotating their players to mark them out and run at them... yet he still stood tall..I dont think it was as much about work ethic rather than trying to keep fresh for when thye got an oppurtunity.

When they reverted back to limited interchanges he stepped up again taking his team to 3 GFs in a row despite having every team they played trying to measure up against them.

Who would you rather be running at all game.. a tired Blocker Roach,Martin Bella,Sam Backo type or a fresh Bra dThorn, Gordon Tallis, Tonii Carroll....

Last edited:

chunk

Juniors
Both great players with plenty of skill but Daley for mine.

As stated before I thought Fitler could go missing in action at times. Daley was always committed and a very tough player.

Slackboy72

Coach
I'd have to go with Fittler was a better playmaker but Daley was a better player. I personally believe Daley should have stayed a centre.

As people away from football, Fittler makes Daley look like Stephen Hawking, Macgyver and Mother Teresa all rolled into one.

lol it's amazing how people think Fittler was just average an first grader. Fittler dominated with such inspirational halfbacks as AWOL Adrian Lam, Craig Wing and he made Brett Finch look so good the guy became the f**king dally m halfback of the year. We'd made the finals series 1 time in about 15 years before he arrived and didn't miss the finals until the year after he left and in that time we made 3 consecutive GF qualifiers and 4 grand finals.

Brad Fittler has seriously become the most under appreciated first grade player to ever play the game. lol Daley has a solo 60 metre try in a grand final that was over from the first kick off, good on the little tucan. Fittler carried a team that was brutaly torn apart by Bob Fulton's insider trading and team went to shit without him.

f**king Canberra fans who thought 2011 was a write off and automatic premiership come in and start downplaying Fittler's career, you can go back and vandalise cars now.

Slackboy72

Coach
lol it's amazing how people think Fittler was just average an first grader. Fittler dominated with such inspirational halfbacks as AWOL Adrian Lam, Craig Wing and he made Brett Finch look so good the guy became the f**king dally m halfback of the year. We'd made the finals series 1 time in about 15 years before he arrived and didn't miss the finals until the year after he left and in that time we made 3 consecutive GF qualifiers and 4 grand finals.

Brad Fittler has seriously become the most under appreciated first grade player to ever play the game. lol Daley has a solo 60 metre try in a grand final that was over from the first kick off, good on the little tucan. Fittler carried a team that was brutaly torn apart by Bob Fulton's insider trading and team went to shit without him.

f**king Canberra fans who thought 2011 was a write off and automatic premiership come in and start downplaying Fittler's career, you can go back and vandalise cars now.

If I was picking greatest 5/8s I've seen play it would be Cliff Lyons 1st, Fittler 2nd. Walters, Lockyer, Kenny and Lamb don't rate in my book.

Greatest 5/8 of all time he is more than likely not and Cliffy was a wonderful player so I would not argue that selection at all but it's time to call bullshit on these people, mostly star struck Canberra fans, who say Fittler wasn't committed and Daley was better in all areas except for kicking.

Most of Daley's career includes playing week in week out with Meninga, Stuart, Walters, Belcher, Mullins at his best, Lazarus, Clyde and whoever else Canberra had whereas Fittler never had another superstar player in his team during his years at the Roosters with an argument possibly to be made for Minichiello when he was at fullback, that's it and that happened in the twilight of his career. Fittler made shit players like Finch, Hegarty & Byrne look like superstars to the point of rep selection for Finch and Hegarty and he had the Warriors convinced on Byrne, Fittler played injured in 2000 and still took a team with bloody Richie Barnett, Shane Rigon and Dallas hood to a grand final and did it all again with Chris Walker, Todd Byrne and a Justin Hodges who spent the year crying his girlfriend left him.

Imagine if Fittler had a halfback who had 10% the skill that Ricky Stuart had between 2000 and 2004 we'd have won the comp every year.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Two great players but Fittler was better for mine.
How anyone can try to say he wasn't a good leader or couldn't turn a game is bloody amazing. He was a brilliant captain for NSW (as was Daley) and turned plenty of games on his Pat Malone for any team he played for.
He had a presence on the field that only a select few have had.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fittler never dropped the premiership trophy and broke it.

Fittler did have a kip in the Glebe lockup one night, but the legend of "Tooley" is in a league of it's own.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

Maybe just whip the hose out and wash the sand out of your vagina champ....

Daley by a nose.

Dazraider

Juniors
Just have a look at the Origin highlights and see how many times Daley makes a great play by either breaking the line himself or setting up tries and linebreaks.
Much better player, fittler was good but not in the same league when it came to game breakers.
plus his defence was great alot better than fittlers

just editing as you should watch the old origin tapes then come back and tell me if he wasnt a real champion or not and thats the biggest stage of rugby league and he performed in every single match

Last edited:
Fittler looked up to the great Laurie Daley.

Daley carried NSW from 92-94. And was the youngest captain ever and he won 3 series. In Basketball terms Fittler was a mere role player in that team.

LOL @ butt hurt Roosters fans who cant accept the truth.

legend

Coach
Greatest 5/8 of all time he is more than likely not and Cliffy was a wonderful player so I would not argue that selection at all but it's time to call bullshit on these people, mostly star struck Canberra fans, who say Fittler wasn't committed and Daley was better in all areas except for kicking.

Most of Daley's career includes playing week in week out with Meninga, Stuart, Walters, Belcher, Mullins at his best, Lazarus, Clyde and whoever else Canberra had whereas Fittler never had another superstar player in his team during his years at the Roosters with an argument possibly to be made for Minichiello when he was at fullback, that's it and that happened in the twilight of his career. Fittler made shit players like Finch, Hegarty & Byrne look like superstars to the point of rep selection for Finch and Hegarty and he had the Warriors convinced on Byrne, Fittler played injured in 2000 and still took a team with bloody Richie Barnett, Shane Rigon and Dallas hood to a grand final and did it all again with Chris Walker, Todd Byrne and a Justin Hodges who spent the year crying his girlfriend left him.

Imagine if Fittler had a halfback who had 10% the skill that Ricky Stuart had between 2000 and 2004 we'd have won the comp every year.

Fittler won his only premiership with the Roosters with an all star cast that included:

Ricketson (NSW, Aus)
Morley (Eng, GB)
Fitzgibbon (NSW, Aus)
Minichiello (NSW, Aus)
Wing (NSW, Aus)
Fletcher (NSW, Aus)
Hodges (Qld, Aus)
Mullins (NSW, Aus)
Phillips
Crocker (Qld)
Flannery (Qld)
Cayless (NZ)

He had virtually the same team the following two years and couldn't get them over the line, especially against Penrith, who were underdogs in 2003.

IMO, the difference is a struck hair and that is represented by Daley's three premierships to Fittler's two even though Fittler appeared in six grand finals to Daley's four.

edabomb

First Grade
Fittler was better had more longevity. Fittler's best performances were better then Daley's. When Daley retired the Raiders didn't really drop that far the Roosters dropped like a stone when Fittler retired.

I always thought Fittler was better, Daley whilst a great player in Canberra's great sides 89-94 you could argue he was there 3rd or 4th best player. When he became the Raiders best player they never came close to winning the Premiership in all honesty.

Fittler was Penrith's 3rd or 4th best player in 90-91. Fittler was the man for the Roosters in all four of there Grand Final appearances.

Fittler was the star player for a team who made 4 Grand finals out of 5.

Daley you could argue was behind Clyde,Meninga,Stuart in terms of that team's star player.

If you took Daley out of that Canberra side could you see them doing as well maybe not, But you could still see them challenging for Premierships with or without Daley.

Take Fittler out of the Roosters side from 00-04 and they truly have no chance of winning the competition.

Canberra went from top 4 in 2000 to bottom 3 or 4 teams in 2001, pretty major drop off.

And the fact is Freddy only won one premiership in those final years, so you could say he failed to step up in the big games given his side was fairly dominant over the regular season.

Daley was definitely more consistent throughout his career, with the peak of Freddy's final years (02 - 04) probably only being matched by Laurie over one full season (1995).

BM1979

Juniors
Daley for me , was never completely sold on Fittler.
If we are talking about commentary though it's Fittler by a mile.

Latest posts