What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels win race for Ben Roberts

pedge

Juniors
Not sure if this is a great signing for you. Sure it's better than Morts and Sandow is better than Robson but both Sandow and Roberts are terribly inconsistent.

As a Bulldogs supporter I can tell you that Roberts at his best is as good as anyone. He has a tremendous left boot and a good running game. His defence can be patchy but not too bad but his big knock is consistency.

During his 6 years with us he always was the player we thought would come through as every now and then he would do something that was breathtaking. A couple of years ago against the Broncos he played an 11 out of 10 game and then went missing for the rest of the season. Recently he has been injured a lot.

I'm sure both Sandow and Roberts will win you games but im just not sure how consistent they will be. Sandow might struggle behind a much weaker pack whilst Roberts enigmatic performances might have you lot calling for his head this time next year.

gimme ben roberts inconsistency over mortimers consistency any day of the week!

Gigolo

Juniors
gimme ben roberts inconsistency over mortimers consistency any day of the week!

Morts is such a disappointing player. Maybe as a pure dummy half he might find his niche as he seems fit and has good pace off the mark but probably reaching...we're happy we didn't sign him

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not sure if this is a great signing for you. Sure it's better than Morts and Sandow is better than Robson but both Sandow and Roberts are terribly inconsistent.

As a Bulldogs supporter I can tell you that Roberts at his best is as good as anyone. He has a tremendous left boot and a good running game. His defence can be patchy but not too bad but his big knock is consistency.

During his 6 years with us he always was the player we thought would come through as every now and then he would do something that was breathtaking. A couple of years ago against the Broncos he played an 11 out of 10 game and then went missing for the rest of the season. Recently he has been injured a lot.

I'm sure both Sandow and Roberts will win you games but im just not sure how consistent they will be. Sandow might struggle behind a much weaker pack whilst Roberts enigmatic performances might have you lot calling for his head this time next year.

Our forward pack is our biggest strength. We're still a little weak in the back-row department, but when you have a front-row rotation consisting of Moimoi, Mannah, Webb, Shackleton, Poore and Allgood (who has proven handy), it will cause headaches.

Our problem is that Horo is out of form, Lasalo is inconsistent (as a lot of young blokes tend to be), Smith (though I like him) is mostly a defensive forward - thus we lack any real hole-punching, line-breaking back-rowers. Until Maitua comes back.

The reason we have at least been competitive in a lot of games this year boils down to the fact we have a strong pack, and in particular our front-row.

Gronk

Staff member
Morts is such a disappointing player. Maybe as a pure dummy half he might find his niche as he seems fit and has good pace off the mark but probably reaching...we're happy we didn't sign him

No he doesn't.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I feel for Morts. He is a good young man.

He is. I'd like to think that there is somewhere a bloke with his commitment and determination could play, but every week I see the bugger play, I understand more and more why he cops so much criticism.

Mind you, out of Robson and himself, IMO Morts has improved whilst Robbo has gone backwards.

Avenger

Immortal
He is. I'd like to think that there is somewhere a bloke with his commitment and determination could play, but every week I see the bugger play, I understand more and more why he cops so much criticism.

Mind you, out of Robson and himself, IMO Morts has improved whilst Robbo has gone backwards.
I agree they are both tragic.

Kornstar

Coach
So many attacking options now with Sandow and Roberts. Hayne will be better for it.

You know what that means though, more "adjustments" to each others style, which means another poor start to the year while we get our "combinations" in order :(

Gigolo

Juniors
No he doesn't.

He is quick off the mark, the fact he has the worst kicking game in the history of the NRL doesn't take away his zippyness.

As for your forwards, they're not too bad but I think Souths are probably stronger.

I thought Lasalo was going to be anything earlier on, he's s strong runner but seems to have lost a bit of confidence

Avenger

Immortal
He is quick off the mark, the fact he has the worst kicking game in the history of the NRL doesn't take away his zippyness.

As for your forwards, they're not too bad but I think Souths are probably stronger.

I thought Lasalo was going to be anything earlier on, he's s strong runner but seems to have lost a bit of confidence
Lasalo will come good.

Gronk

Staff member

Sorry, no. Morts is not quick. So many times he has found himself in a hole and he struggles to get out of first gear.

I'll be interested to see if anyone here agrees with you.

cv8z

Juniors
Sorry, no. Morts is not quick. So many times he has found himself in a hole and he struggles to get out of first gear.

He looked a bit lost when he was put through the gap on sat

Ollie Webb

Juniors

Agree, he is only quick over the first 10 metres and gets run down easily, also very good at passing when under pressure.

Lasalo is a victim of a side not going well and having an extensive workload.... probably playing longer minutes than Sk would want. Needs a break to refresh but who replaces him!

MrT

Juniors

Lasalo needs good halves giving him good ball on the edges

Cocidius

Juniors
You know what that means though, more "adjustments" to each others style, which means another poor start to the year while we get our "combinations" in order :(

I see the eels next year as the dogs of this year! New halves paring with some other key positional changes.
One thing dogs halves have is they are consistent on the little things; but in saying that, Sandow has been very consistent this year and probably souths best player on a weekly basis!
If we can get that out of Roberts too, we will have a very strong halves pairing!
People dont forget, when roberts was playing...he was playing with the holdsowrths of the world! IMO play him in the current line-up with the dogs form atm...he would kill it!

IMO taking off my eels glasses a 1. Hayne, 6. Roberts and 7. Sandow is potentially alot more potent then what the dogs have atm...

mickdo

Coach
I am led to believe we can not actually get their signatures on contracts till after the june 30 deadline, so I take it that is why these details are being released to the media without the club making official press conferences with the player.

I think you can get their signatures on contracts, but the contracts will not be registered by the NRL until July 1, giving their existing club a shot at them until then.

Latest posts