What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended contract offer to Kearney

haynenation

Juniors
why would we re-sign kearney. dont give him the easy option let him achieve somthing first . theres plenty of time to re-sign him

TheParraboy

Staff member
3 year extention? 6 months into a 3 year deal, damm thats a great gig if you can get it

I think SK has a good clause in his contract and they have all come at once. His name is Santa

haynenation

Juniors
forward pass i just dont get it. why would we re-sign him???? what does this achieve? hes in his first season and weve hardly been ground breaking. let him furfill most of his contract before we make a decision.

daniel anderson had a great record and got the best out of hayne and we just turned our back on him so quick yet kearney gets off after not achieving anything, no worries kearney here you go have an upgrade.

cv8z

Juniors
It already been mentioned, the article sounds like a beat up and probably is.

If not a beat up there has to be more to extending it on what we presume to know or what we've see so far
Hopefully a decent signing perhaps?

forward pass

Coach
forward pass i just dont get it. why would we re-sign him???? what does this achieve? hes in his first season and weve hardly been ground breaking. let him furfill most of his contract before we make a decision.

daniel anderson had a great record and got the best out of hayne and we just turned our back on him so quick yet kearney gets off after not achieving anything, no worries kearney here you go have an upgrade.

When you learn what capital letters are - I'll bother talking to you!

oldmancraigy

Coach
If the article is true, I don't really see the problem?

If Andersen had been hired by the current board, he'd probably be on the 6 year deal right now. They wanted their "own guy" - why not pick the fellow who has been mentored by both Bellamy and Bennett?

He also happens to be the Kiwi national coach, has a 'firm' control of his players - but is well liked and respected by players, officials and is something of a media darling.

If you want long-term stability in a club, pick a coach and stick with him. Sure, Kearney hasn't had a lot of top grade experience in the number 1 spot, but PLENTY of experience with first grade squads.
As a player and assistant coach he was a winner - no reason to think he won't be successful as a head coach based on what we've seen is there?

Stability = good for club.

84 Baby

Referee
There are a lot of claims you've made which none of us have any knowledge of.

How do you know what deals have been struck by the club & other 3rd parties via manager (or even by SBW) to pull in SBW?

How do you know what SBW will do with his life, dreams impacting his decisions effecting $$$ etc. The news I have is SBW has unfinished business with NRL fans and the sporting public at large.

All the scenarios you have raised will still not stop a club from acquiring the services of SBW.
Regardless how good they are, all players are unknowns - injuries being one of many factors that can change the life of any player in any moment during an NRL season.
Would rather have SBW on our books than not - How many club wouldn't?
We have a better chance of getting to a GF and winning it with SBW on board rather than not having SBW on our books. And yes, he could get injured or suspended or has a drop in form - something that could happen to Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall or even Jarryd Hayne.

All great players still played in a squad run by a club.
This is inevitable for SBW if he rejoins the NRL - may it be with us.
Casper, do you read other people's posts or do you 'read' other people's 'conspiracies'?
The 'claim' I made was $BW was on half a mill at Dogs. Maybe he wasn't at the time, but with his marketing value and 3rd party deals, he could have been if he hadn't done the runner.
Other than that I didn't mention his future or whether we have/will/should sign him. I was disputing your inference that he guarantees a premiership singlehandedly. I argue that football goes for 80+ minutes, and that a player who gives you a handful of good runs, offloads and line breaks doesn't even guarantee winning a regular season game let alone a premiership, thus in terms of premiership success he isn't worth what it would cost to hire him... BUT there are other factors to consider besides premierships AND as I said he would be a decent piece on the board in attack.

Please note no mention of Zion or Nazis or aliens etc...

HevyDevy

Coach

If Andersen had been hired by the current board, he'd probably be on the 6 year deal right now. They wanted their "own guy" - why not pick the fellow who has been mentored by both Bellamy and Bennett?

He also happens to be the Kiwi national coach, has a 'firm' control of his players - but is well liked and respected by players, officials and is something of a media darling.

If you want long-term stability in a club, pick a coach and stick with him. Sure, Kearney hasn't had a lot of top grade experience in the number 1 spot, but PLENTY of experience with first grade squads.
As a player and assistant coach he was a winner - no reason to think he won't be successful as a head coach based on what we've seen is there?

Agree re: stability but believe he still needs to prove himself as an NRL coach. He hasn't done that this year - something that hasn't been entirely within his control given the squad he's got - and will need to do a lot more to convince that he is definitely the man.

Now, as has been pointed out by a few, he has very little to work with. That means 2011 could have gone two ways - either to expectations or some over-achievement. Well, we certainly couldn't accuse the Eels of over-achieving this season.

Stability is pointless if you've got the wrong man. That's not to say that Kearney is the wrong man but it makes sense to wait until 2013 and make a far more informed decision then.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Yeah he will probably be good. Might as well sign him up now for 6 years.

Latest posts