What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

fathertime

Juniors
anyone know any history of the new ball and matts coaches and are they better selections

Both coaches are good, theres no doubt about that. Grant has done his time climbing through the junior ranks and Brad had a couple of strong seasons at Matts then Ball. I think Brad was unlucky not to keep his job in 2011 in the first place.

Probably unfair to say if they are better or worse than what was there before. The previous matts coach Lee Adison has turned St Gregs around after they were in a mess and they have won two MCS titles back to back for the first time since the early 1990's and are unbeaten in the Arrive Alive and are one win away from top 4 in the country. It is common knowledge amongst those at the club that he is a talented coach who would be better to work with older age groups and was probably a bit of a culture shock to some of the 16's.

Then there is Brett Atkins who, ultimately, won a comp with the Matts in 2010. There is a train of thought that he was a better 16's coach than 18's coach. Both coaches have won silverware it is a bit of a shock that there is not a place for them somewhere but Gus wanted a clear out apparently and both coaches are well liked by ELliott apparently which may have been their downfall.

In the last few years, there are a few good coaches that have lost their jobs because Penrith have high expectations and I suppose it will continue to happen. Thats the nature of the beast, but surely it cant all be the fault of coaching when every grade has struggled? There are penrith players every where else, at other clubs apart from Penrith. Roosters won the ball in 2010 with 10 penrith players, two penrith players have switched to Parra matts for next year. The 20;s have flopped. The development squads are hardly dominant. SURELY the issues are bigger.

GOOD LUCK to the two new coaches though, I hope you are both the start of the turnaround

mounty

Juniors
Jim JONES HAS SAID THEIR WILL BE A TRIAL MATCH AT THE END OF THE YEAR FOR THE HAROLD MATTS SIDE FOR 2012 YESTERDAY THE BOYS DID OK IN THE U15 PANTHERS BUT THEIR WAS A LOT OF TESTING OF PLAYERS IN DIFFERENT SIDES THROUGH OUT THE DAY BUT WHO KNOWS WHO WILL BE SELECTED.

mounty

Juniors
Good morning,my selection of players i seen on the day and should be in those postion for harold matts at 9 harrison,milgate 6,7 may,jennings 4,sonni 8,sam 10,these players where the stand outs on the day.

ranga

Juniors
Good morning,my selection of players i seen on the day and should be in those postion for harold matts at 9 harrison,milgate 6,7 may,jennings 4,sonni 8,sam 10,these players where the stand outs on the day.
thanks Mr Milgate

ranga

Juniors
Hes a champion at hes age ranga,the young panthers u 15 play tomorrow Thursday, 7 games on the day good luck boys.

mate are you kidding ,a CHAMPION at 15 ,he may go allright at club level at the moment,but it is a huge step up from now on , look at this forum and see how many kids at 15 were labelled champs at this early stage and didnt go on with it

mounty

Juniors
Ranga just because i called him a champion doesn't mean hes my son, ok your right he has a long way to go but hes not a bad player this is a site where we can write a opinion.

sumkah01

Juniors
Job for the boys Brad was sacked the year befroe even though they made the grandfinal and Grant has done his apprenticeship so deserves a shot now and if either these guys are succesful this year it will show what good coaches they are as there seems not to be as much talent out these as previuos years.

Friza

Juniors
Grant Mitchell - Matts
Brad Liggins - Ball

Harold Matts
Head Coach: Grant Mitchell
Asst Coach: Ron Harrison
Asst Coach: Adrian Clements

SG Ball
Head Coach: Brad Liggins
Asst Coach: Dave Cartwright
Asst Coach: Barry Walker

Friza

Juniors
Have you heard any info on players?

Players that will feature & worth keeping an eye-on:

Matts
Robert Jennings
Blake Milgate
Tyrone May
Soni Luke
Soni Hala
Oliver Clarke
Christian Critchon
Peter Tiatia

Ball
Bryce Cartwight
Sam Hickey
Roy Teuku
David Andjelic
Wiki Tauvao

I am led to beleive they have recruited 2 halves, 2 frontrowers & a centre for SG Ball.

brothers34

Juniors
With the signing of two new halves, will they end Cartwrights trial in 5/8 from last years S.G Ball and push him back into Lock?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Lets hope so. Bryce is the best lock in Penrith and probably the whole comp.

Maklouf, Geyer and Glanville will also battle for halves spots with the new signings you would imagine.