What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol@Eel$

You couldnt have bought a plate of chips at Wenty RSL for what we spent on them dipsh*t.

We were never going to do anything this year. We couldnt attract talent to the halves - not that any was going around, we lost Cayless and injury plagued Poore never stepped up. Then Tahu and Grothe left in the off season, leaving us scrambling for scraps - hence Walker and Whatuira.

I like what Kearney has done with the side. The forwards are playing without the flippant rubbish that we were trying with Maitua, and we are competing. Bad luck, lack of confidence, dumb plays - 6 of the last 7 or 8 losses we led within sight of the bell - I think the Dragons game was the only one of them we didnt lead with 5 mins to go. That robbed us of 11 points. Those go our way and we are one point outside the top 4.

To be that close to better sides, with a poor roster, is a credit to Big Face. So is the re-appearance of Maitua. We havent had a coach since John Monie who has pulled the guts of the club together like that. We have a good future.

So Brian Smith did nothing in his time at the Eels?
You can't give him credit for anything can you?

I agree with all your other points though.

Loudstrat

Coach
Smith had us playing totally off the script. He completely got rid of any ad-lib in the club whatsoever. Example - the 2001 semi vs NZ when we had someone injured, and they were not replaced, to give them practice just in case someone got sin binned in the GF. Like the players didnt know how to cope with that situation in the big game? Luke Burt, for instance, looks freer under Kearney than at any time under Smith.

Smith had us playing totally off the script. He completely got rid of any ad-lib in the club whatsoever. Example - the 2001 semi vs NZ when we had someone injured, and they were not replaced, to give them practice just in case someone got sin binned in the GF. Like the players didnt know how to cope with that situation in the big game? Luke Burt, for instance, looks freer under Kearney than at any time under Smith.

That may have been what the Eels needed at the time.
Kearney seems to be doing the same thing at the moment in most respects - fewer offloads and high-risk plays. Of course that may just be because he doesn't have the players to work with.

The Eels played some good free-flowing exciting footy in 2005.
I know Smith never got us the Premiership that he probably should have, but he certainly turned the club into a perennial contender after being in the mire for a decade.

Far Canal

Juniors
As a Parra fan, I am no LOL at Parra but fuming at the lack of their killer instinct to close games.

Rewind back to all the close games against the Saints, Eagles, Broncos, Panthers and Bulldogs where they were up to their teeth in the match (in most cases leading) and then to just play dumb football to loose.

It will always start from the top. An untried coach who seems too nice. To think the Board might extend his contract WTF?

chunk

Juniors
The Eels would have to be one of the most under performing clubs in the past thirty years considering the resources at their disposal.

I agree. POPEYE is a myth. And a redneck.

The eels were always to struggle this year, that's what clubs with new coaches generally do. (The broncos under Griffen being an exception so far).

So was Moore in his first year in 09 and brian smith in 2010.

LOL but look at them now.

Loudstrat

Coach
Moore bought up bigger than anyone else for this year. That side, a week after Moore was sacked, beat the weakest roster in the comp by a point after 8 minutes of extra time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Weakest roster in the comp?

Parra's roster is ordinary, but a side with Jarryd Hayne and Nathan Hindmarsh in it, regardless of those around them, is not the weakest.

I'd say Eels were the weakest on paper before the season began, but there have been much worse disappointments like Easts and Titans

Moore bought up bigger than anyone else for this year. That side, a week after Moore was sacked, beat the weakest roster in the comp by a point after 8 minutes of extra time.

LOL NO ! The Titans have the weakest roster in the comp; you are crazy ! :crazy:

Eels Dude

Coach
If you're going to bag out the Eels at least come up with something original as opposed to just copying LOL@50uff$

Loudstrat

Coach
Weakest roster in the comp?

Parra's roster is ordinary, but a side with Jarryd Hayne and Nathan Hindmarsh in it, regardless of those around them, is not the weakest.

YEah, ok. So the weakest is................?

Canberra? No - they have Dugan - best player ever. Just ask him. Cant be Penrith, they are above us and punted their coach. Who else?

Latest posts