What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep. 1 of the papers today (sorry I was waiting for an appointment and can't remember which 1 it was) said a big name player was next out. I hope it's not true.

When rebuilding, the crap (Purtell/Simmons/Tighe) goes and the young up and comers stay.

maple_69

Bench
As much as I rate Gordon a better fullback, we must keep Coote long term. Gordon at centre and coote at fb is better than gordon at the and coote carving us up for the rorters.
Happy smith, plum, Simmons and Earl are on board.

age.s

First Grade
Gordons one of the best fullbacks in the comp, and as good as Coote is we shouldn't be weakening that position. If he's on the wing or in the centers he might be lured away by the promise of a full time fullbacks job somewhere else. Cue the uproar.

That said if Coote leaves before we even give him a shot at the 6 we're crazy. He might be on a big contract for an untried 5/8, but considering we're unlikely to be pushing the cap hard next year we might as well give him an extended shot there and see how he goes. With Burns out there's an argument for doing it when Coote gets back to fitness, particularly if we lose our next couple of games.

franklin2323

Immortal
Both need to be in the team. I don't care where aslong as it happens.

As my avatar shows I am a Gordon fan but Coote should be the team also. Gordon is 7 years older so it would be stupid to get rid of Coote for Gordon.

If they were similar ages possibility, however we have 1 capable of playing in the 1/2's & 1 in the centres both positions need strengthening

murraymob

Coach
sadly i hope this does not turn into a gould bashing if coote goes

Simple fact this was always going to come to a head at some point as both want fullback .Coote is not really suited to another position

Gordon way to good for the wing.The possibility 1 could want to go was always there

franklin2323

Immortal
Of course it will lets look at the facts:

Gordon is 28 if we are lucky has 4 years left. Coote is 21 & if we are lucky has 10 years left. Sure both want the fullback.

However Gordon is better than any outside back we have besides Jennings. Coote is better then any 1/2 atm. So both have alternate positions & imo it's crazy to get rid of a 21yo.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gordon is better than Jennings.
Jennings on his day may be better but gordon is a 8 or 9 out of 10 every week.
Coote must be kept unless injury concerns are what is whats worrying the club...

Big Mick

Referee
If Coote goes. I'm done. Gould or not.

If we keep rubbish like Simmons, Purtell, Plum, Smith, Tighe over a local product who is playing great football in Coote...I'm done. The club would be officially f**ked.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Panthers have a pretty good backline next year..

you could have
1 Coote
2 Earl
3 Vai Vai
4 Jennings
5 Gordon

Only problem is i think Gordon is way too good for the wing..

hindy111

Post Whore
You have to think logicaly with a salary cap.Ok Gordon is the better fullback but coote is still very good.
Coote has age on his side.Having either on the wing is probably not wise.Gordon is the more versatile player.But should they move him to centre? Has Coote played any time at 5/8 in the juniours?
I think he may go ok there but maybe if you had a thurston or lockyer with you...
One other thing-Simmons deserves his spot.He is a very under rated player.And Tighe is a very good winger(just not centre)
A backline like this would still go ok. If coote was there would it improve the team?? Maybe but not much

1 Gordon
2 Tighe
3 Jennings
4 Vai Vai
5 Simmons

age.s

First Grade
The question is why get rid of Coote now? Considering who we're losing next year we're unlikely to be putting pressure on the cap even if his contract is backended. So why not give Coote a shot at another position before offloading him? He's a very good passer of the ball, has a very good kicking game, great instincts and a great attitude. Only question is his size but he'd hardly be the smallest guy defending in the front line. It's not like we have Foran burning the house down in the position, and we're not going to be picking up a better player in 2012 either. Not to mention that Gordon might not come back the same player after his second serious injury in 3 years.

If we're here next year talking about how poorly Coote's gone in the 6 and how well Gordon played at FB securing the Blues first series win in 7 (;-)) then we've still got time to shop him around to other clubs to free up some space for 2013. Doing it now is a huge risk IMO.

abpanther

Staff member
I wouldn't mind getting rid of Coote if it meant we got a similar good young player at a position of need.

The reality is that Gordon is a superior fullback to Coote and Gordon has at least 4 good years left in him, we can't have Coote sitting on the sidelines all this time.

I agree that he should be given an opportunity at 5/8, he has all the skills required, just a size issue.

But I don't think we should keep him in the wings to play fullback when Gordon goes, just doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.