What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

BDGS

Bench
Having the Bulldogs play 1 or 2 "non-appealing" games at Belmore each year might even boost their crowd averages. Take this year for example - they average 20,000+ at ANZ, but after some poor form and playing a team in North Queensland that are rarely a big draw in Sydney they only got 8,000 or so for that game. This game would have been perfect for Belmore - apart from getting an awesome home ground advantage, instead of getting 8,000 at ANZ they would have got more than double that at Belmore simply because of the 'novelty' factor.

So long as it's only 1 or 2 games a year where they traditionally draw a poor crowd for. Blockbuster games vs Parramatta, Broncos, Dragons, Tigers, Warriors, Souths, and basically any Sydney team except Cronulla should always be at ANZ.

Unless of course Belmore gets upgraded to hold over 30,000.

BDGS

Bench
The Doggies got a spare $200mill?

Not atm, but i think further action will be taken to upgrade the venue further.

In other Stadium news,

This from the GHRaiders on Twitter:

Applications for naming rights sponsorship of #Canberra Stadium closed today and a new name is expected to be ready for 2012 NRL round one.

Goddo

Bench
Having the Bulldogs play 1 or 2 "non-appealing" games at Belmore each year might even boost their crowd averages. Take this year for example - they average 20,000+ at ANZ, but after some poor form and playing a team in North Queensland that are rarely a big draw in Sydney they only got 8,000 or so for that game. This game would have been perfect for Belmore - apart from getting an awesome home ground advantage, instead of getting 8,000 at ANZ they would have got more than double that at Belmore simply because of the 'novelty' factor.

So long as it's only 1 or 2 games a year where they traditionally draw a poor crowd for. Blockbuster games vs Parramatta, Broncos, Dragons, Tigers, Warriors, Souths, and basically any Sydney team except Cronulla should always be at ANZ.

You are right - with expansion likely in Brisbane, Perth or maybe Gosford, where will teams like the Bulldogs, Souths, Roosters and Manly look to take a few games?

Adelaide and various sites in New Zealand will start to pick up more of these exhibition games. I can see some teams taking Warriors games to AMI Stadium and the caketin.

The Dogs will probably play 10 out of ANZ and 2 at Belmore, using Belmore in a similar way to the Tigers at Leichhardt - nostalgia boosts small crowds against interstate teams like Cowboys and Storm.

ByRd

First Grade
Im already pumped to go to the trial at Belmore next year lol hopefully the day will come where we can play 2-3 games a year at BSG against the likes of the Titans, Cowboys, Storm etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are right - with expansion likely in Brisbane, Perth or maybe Gosford, where will teams like the Bulldogs, Souths, Roosters and Manly look to take a few games?

Adelaide and various sites in New Zealand will start to pick up more of these exhibition games. I can see some teams taking Warriors games to AMI Stadium and the caketin.

The Dogs will probably play 10 out of ANZ and 2 at Belmore, using Belmore in a similar way to the Tigers at Leichhardt - nostalgia boosts small crowds against interstate teams like Cowboys and Storm.

you'd be amazed how hard it is to get teams to play games on the road, even when it is very profitable to do so!

BDGS

Bench

The dogs are looking at the possibility of playing 2 games in Adelaide.

Other areas to take games to include Darwin, Hobart, Port Moresby, New Zealand and country areas in NSW and QLD.

Goddo

Bench
For comparison, regular season games to be played in each stadium this year:

22 - 83,500 - ANZ Stadium
14 - 52,500 - Suncorp Stadium
15 - 45,500 - Sydney Football Stadium
12 - 33,000 - Ausgrid Stadium
12 - 30,050 - AAMI Park
12 - 25,000 - Canberra Stadium
12 - 25,000 - Dairy Farmers Stadium
12 - 22,000 - Centrebet Stadium
11 - 21,000 - Toyota Stadium
10 - 21,500 - Parramatta Stadium
10 - 20,000 - Brookvale Oval
6 - 22,000 - WIN Jubilee Oval
5 - 23,150 - WIN Stadium
4 - 21,000 - Leichhardt Oval
4 - 22,000 - Campbelltown Stadium
3 - 20,059 - Bluetongue Stadium
1 - 46,000 - Sydney Cricket Ground
1 - 33,000 - Adelaide Oval
1 - 19,000? - Taupo, NZ

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Have the bulldogs ever considered a stadium at Bankstown? Bankstown is somewhat of a CBD thesedays (ie akin to Parramatta, Liverpool, Blacktown, Chatswood etc). A stadium there with good transport links would be a good move I always thought. Would it be less/more convenient than Belmore for Doggies fans?

Also - I always feel the second part of team names often get neglected - ie Warringah, Sutherland, Bankstown. Not that this should be a decision making issue, but it would allow a better connection with that particular community.

Perth Red

Post Whore
For comparison, regular season games to be played in each stadium this year:

22 - 83,500 - ANZ Stadium
14 - 52,500 - Suncorp Stadium
15 - 45,500 - Sydney Football Stadium
12 - 33,000 - Ausgrid Stadium
12 - 30,050 - AAMI Park
12 - 25,000 - Canberra Stadium
12 - 25,000 - Dairy Farmers Stadium
12 - 22,000 - Centrebet Stadium
11 - 21,000 - Toyota Stadium
10 - 21,500 - Parramatta Stadium
10 - 20,000 - Brookvale Oval
6 - 22,000 - WIN Jubilee Oval
5 - 23,150 - WIN Stadium
4 - 21,000 - Leichhardt Oval
4 - 22,000 - Campbelltown Stadium
3 - 20,059 - Bluetongue Stadium
1 - 46,000 - Sydney Cricket Ground
1 - 33,000 - Adelaide Oval
1 - 19,000? - Taupo, NZ
1 - 21,700 - nib

Perth Red

Post Whore
Heard plans for the stage one nib development and those worried about the waterlogged pitch will be pleased to hear that the redevelopment includes digging up the current field, new drainage and a harder wearing synthetic/natural grass turf laying to cope with 3 codes using it all year round.

beave

Coach
well the worst kept secret is finally out.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/08/13/257271_news.html

THE North Queensland Cowboys have launched a bold bid for a new football stadium in the heart of Townsville's CBD.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini met with Sports Minister Phil Reeves yesterday ahead of last night's sold-out Cowboys v Broncos NRL clash to discuss the proposal.

The 30,000-seat stadium is expected to be built within the next five years on QR (Queensland Rail) National land fronting Flinders St West.

The land has been earmarked for a new sports stadium in Townsville City Council's CBD Masterplan.

The State Government and the council have thrown their weight behind the bid.

Mr Reeves said an official decision was still to be made as negotiations with QRN, which had no plans to stop operations at the site, were still to be held.

"Today I received a proposal from the North Queensland Cowboys for a new stadium and possible location," he said.

"Obviously, as I've only just received the proposal, it would be far too early to make any sort of judgment.

"It's my understanding that QRN, the present owners of the proposed site, have no desire to stop their operations there," Mr Reeves said.

"Since January 2004, the State Government has invested $36.3 million into Dairy Farmers Stadium."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said securing the land would be the biggest hurdle.

However, once that was sorted, the stadium would be a major coup for the North.

"It would mean we were in a better position to attract things like semi-finals of the rugby league," he said.

"I would sincerely hope that one day, if we get this world-class stadium, we would get a State of Origin game played in Townsville and further rugby league Test matches."

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell backed the bid, which could one day put Townsville in the frame to host a State of Origin match.

"We're always willing to look at those sorts of sporting events," he said.

"We've got a pretty good track record on that with the V8s, and our support for the Cowboys and Crocodiles."

Cr Tyrell said the Townsville CBD Masterplan identified South Townsville as an ideal spot for the new sporting facility.
Cowboys management was reluctant to discuss the plan until it had been developed further.

Goddo

Bench
Normally, I'd say a 30k stadium doesn't have a hope in hell of getting an origin.

That was until they anounced AAMI Park for game 1 2012.... so stupid.

beave

Coach
and just to add, I don't think playing an Origin up has any chance, nor should it in a stadium that would hold about 60% of Suncorp. As one eyed NQ as I am, they are smoking some serious shit if they think this new stadium has any chance of getting an origin played in it unless there is an act of god or the like down there a week out before the game.

smithie

Juniors
well the worst kept secret is finally out.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/08/13/257271_news.html

THE North Queensland Cowboys have launched a bold bid for a new football stadium in the heart of Townsville's CBD.

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini met with Sports Minister Phil Reeves yesterday ahead of last night's sold-out Cowboys v Broncos NRL clash to discuss the proposal.

The 30,000-seat stadium is expected to be built within the next five years on QR (Queensland Rail) National land fronting Flinders St West.

The land has been earmarked for a new sports stadium in Townsville City Council's CBD Masterplan.

The State Government and the council have thrown their weight behind the bid.

Mr Reeves said an official decision was still to be made as negotiations with QRN, which had no plans to stop operations at the site, were still to be held.

"Today I received a proposal from the North Queensland Cowboys for a new stadium and possible location," he said.

"Obviously, as I've only just received the proposal, it would be far too early to make any sort of judgment.

"It's my understanding that QRN, the present owners of the proposed site, have no desire to stop their operations there," Mr Reeves said.

"Since January 2004, the State Government has invested $36.3 million into Dairy Farmers Stadium."

Thuringowa MP Craig Wallace said securing the land would be the biggest hurdle.

However, once that was sorted, the stadium would be a major coup for the North.

"It would mean we were in a better position to attract things like semi-finals of the rugby league," he said.

"I would sincerely hope that one day, if we get this world-class stadium, we would get a State of Origin game played in Townsville and further rugby league Test matches."

Townsville Mayor Les Tyrell backed the bid, which could one day put Townsville in the frame to host a State of Origin match.

"We're always willing to look at those sorts of sporting events," he said.

"We've got a pretty good track record on that with the V8s, and our support for the Cowboys and Crocodiles."

Cr Tyrell said the Townsville CBD Masterplan identified South Townsville as an ideal spot for the new sporting facility.
Cowboys management was reluctant to discuss the plan until it had been developed further.

I can't see how the state government can say no to this proposal, considering they have said yes to a team that doesn't even exist in Central QLD.

beave

Coach
acquisition of the land will be the first challenge I guess, QRN going by this article want to keep the land.

jonno_knights

Juniors
If for some reason the proposed 30k stadium in NQ gets an origin, you could be your bottom dollar Tinkler will be trying to get one at Ausgrid (If he isnt already).

Only way I can see Ausgrid getting origin though is if AUS get the FIFA WC, which will see Ausgrid get temporary seating to boost capacity to 40k or there-abouts. So its still a LONG way off, unless the temporary seating isnt much hassle/expensive to install.

Latest posts