What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying a PS3

Ausguy

Coach
Righto... im thinking of buying a ps3 to replace my xbox 360 (original without hdmi port :( )

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get one?

Also im curious about the hardrive size, i understand the impact of the size difference but really what do you think is the impact when it comes to operation. Does the 120g still go alright, general thoughts on this please?

HowHigh

Coach
EB Games and JB Hi Fi usually have deals on to get a game/s or extra controller etc with the console
120GB should be fine, only way you'll fill it is buying/downloading a lot of games digitally

Ebay is good for prices but I'd personally prefer to buy it from a store so if it f**ks up I know I won't have any hassles getting it fixed or replaced

Ausguy

Coach
fair call howhigh...
but i know there are better bargains than EB and JB thats for sure...

thanks for the info re filling the hd

abpanther

Staff member
I bought one a month ago from Harvey Norman for $467 (160gb) with 2 platinum games (negotiable), that was the best price I could find.

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
I am in the market of getting a new PS3. My old one died. Yellow light of death apparently. Send it off to Playstation to get it fixed for $200 or something. Or try and pick up a new one somewhere.

JB & EB have good deals. Most come with games and extra controllers. Big W had a 160GB with no extras for $397 (don't quote me on that though).

abpanther

Staff member
How is it ab?
What did you have before?

Any regrets?

I was still on the PS2, played all the best games left on it, tried to hold out as long as I could thinking the price would drop, truth be told it hasn't dropped much in the last year, I just thought with a new TV and needing a Blu Ray anyway why not.

Not regrets man, the visuals are stunning, I've only played God of War 3 so far but loving it, just the network connectivity alone is a quantum leap for me

doggie_4_life

Juniors
Righto... im thinking of buying a ps3 to replace my xbox 360 (original without hdmi port :( )

Also im curious about the hardrive size, i understand the impact of the size difference but really what do you think is the impact when it comes to operation. Does the 120g still go alright, general thoughts on this please?

This might sound dodge but hear me out, i had a 60gb first gen ps3 for about two years, it got the yellow light of death (so it was farked) called up sony, they said they could fix it for $250, got it back, it was still dead, sent it back again, worked for 2 months, farked again. To cut a very long story short, i bought a new console from JB hifi, and got a brand new console from sony, so now i have two and i only need one. So, if you want to save some cash, i'll sell you my brand new one i got back from sony it's a 320 gb slim model, the box has been opened, but it's never been turned on, it's still in all of it's original packaging. None of my mates want it because they have they own and im stuck with it, so if you want it, or any one wants it, let me know

Apologies excuse my ignorance but what does that mean exactly? That you can only plug it into a TV with a HDMI port?

Sony have since clarified the information, they can no long manufacture the PS3 with component-HD support due to this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/aacs_final_adopter_agreement

You can use the component cables but when playing videos they will not be upscaled with component cables but playing games will be fine. Initialy with the press release there was confusion about whether they would support HDMI only but that has been quashed.

"The new CECH-3000 series PS3 requires HDMI only for BD movie output in HD, in compliance with AACS standards," Sony told Ars. "PS3 continues to support component output for HD gaming and streaming content."
LINK

RedVDave

First Grade

If you want a good deal go to cash converters I usally find them to be pretty decent, though I am sure some people would disagree with me check it out though can't hurt.

Ausguy

Coach
supersonic... i still havent got mine, im glad i waited, i notcied 1 retailer dropped it significantly as of monday the 22nd...

and i know for a fact the direct opposition to them is working on an offer to match it...