What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths will regret Sandow exit: Coleman

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
It's been likened to Canterbury letting go of Johnathan Thurston and Penrith allowing Peter Wallace to fly the coop - South Sydney are going to regret the day Chris Sandow walked away from Redfern.

Former Rabbitohs' skipper Craig Coleman said the Bunnies would be ruing the fact they didn't lock up the 22-year-old playmaker to a long-term deal, with Sandow having developed into one of the most promising No.7s in the game since announcing his intention to join Parramatta in 2012.

It's only since news of his departure to the Eels broke back in May that Sandow's form has really taken off - with Rabbitohs' management failing to show the urgency or financial enticement of their Eels rivals in securing the halfback.

His form has lifted the Rabbitohs to the brink of a finals berth - his performances both delighting and frustrating the Bunnies faithful, given his days in the red and green are nearing an end.

Asked if the Rabbitohs would live to regret letting Sandow go, Coleman said: "Definitely, definitely.

"At the time, they had to make a decision and they chose other players in front of him.

"I've never seen a kid improve as much as he has the last 12 months.

"Last year, he was a bit up and down, but he's been nearly the best player in the comp. He's been great to watch.

"At the moment, he's nearly the No.1 player in the game."

While the Rabbitohs had made an upgraded offer to keep Sandow, there was a belief that securing both John Sutton and try-scoring freak Nathan Merritt to new deals was of greater priority to South Sydney officials.

Back in 2004, the Bulldogs made the decision to go with a young Braith Anasta and Brent Sherwin - who had just signed a five-year deal - as their options in the halves.

They allowed Thurston to head to North Queensland, where he has gone on to become one of the greatest halves the game has seen.

Brisbane did a Parramatta back in 2007 when they pinched Wallace - who played State of Origin for NSW the following year - from under Penrith's nose.

While he'll continue to cheer on Sandow as he edges the Rabbitohs closer to a finals berth, Coleman said he had confidence that incoming coach Michael Maguire could manufacture a new playmaker.

The Rabbitohs have opted against bringing in an experienced halfback to replace Sandow, with youngster Adam Reynolds likely to get first crack at the No.7 jumper in 2012.

"I'm sure they're wishing we still had him - it's gone now. He's signed for four years," Coleman said of Sandow.

"There's a new coach coming ... Cooper Cronk was never a halfback and he (Maguire) had a lot to do with Craig Bellamy in turning Cooper Cronk into nearly the best halfback in the world.

"It would have been great if Chris Sandow would have stayed but he didn't."

http://www.nrl.com/souths-will-regret-sandow-exit-coleman/tabid/10874/newsid/64417/default.aspx

Rabbitohs6

Juniors
Dosent Craig Coleman understand that our club could never compete with the money Parramatta offered him, we just couldn't afford him. AND JESUS, LET IT GO !!!! HES GONE !!!! LEAVE IT IN THE PAST !!!! it will be problem if we have people in the media keep bringing it up, if Reynolds is rookie of the year of the year next year and Souths finish in the top 4, there wont be a word said about Sandow at Redfern.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's the salary cap. Souths already have some pretty awesome players - half of your squad would walk into the Melbourne Storm side. Threequarters of them would be in Parra's top 17.

Tugger mustn't think it's a good thing that the salary cap is spreading the talent.

African Monkey

First Grade
Meh. We can move on without him. A lot of people thought that the Dragons would regret letting Brett Firman go back in 2005. Where is he now?

DC_fan

Coach
Meh. We can move on without him. A lot of people thought that the Dragons would regret letting Brett Firman go back in 2005. Where is he now?

Sandow is in an entirely different class then Firman ever was.

This season Souths will go as far as Sandow can take them. Next season is a real problem for us because we don't have any ready made halfback to replace him.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
While inexperienced - and the obvious problem of being out injured for all of this season - Reynolds is a genuine halfback. It mightn't be ideal, but it's not like the Bunnies won't have someone to run out wearing number 7 in 2012.

I honestly thought Manly would struggle this year with Cherry-Evans joining the relatively inexperienced Foran. I think there is reason for Bunnies fans to hope (although hope can hurt sometimes).

themacemaceman

Juniors
Give tugger a break. I'm sure the paper rang him for a comment not the other way round. I'm sure most supporters would agree that the club should have kept him but as the cap restricts the amount of talent you can keep some tough decisions had to be made. The club must have some confidence that Reynolds can do the job. And since sandow signed his game has gone to another level so obviously we undervalued him.

Dogmatix

Juniors
It is all about the salary cap. If there was no salary cap then Souths could have probably outbid Parra but even then a club like the Broncos might have come in with an even bigger offer if they wanted Sandow

If there was no salary cap then Souths would never have gotten Dave Taylor from the Broncos, Inglis from the Storm or Asotasi from the Bulldogs etc etc. If Souths don't have one of these guys then maybe they keep Sandow. Souths could maybe have made a perfectly timed offer late last year and got Sandow cheap but at the time the club was busy chasing Wayne Bennett and there was talk he told them to hold on off on major signings till he made his decision

Under the salary cap you cannot keep every player you want to

Galeforce

Bench
Sandow is at last displaying the form he showed in his first year when he was rookie of the year. Hope he continues for balance of the year and then best of luck to him when he shifts to Eels.
Meantime statements like Colemans ignore that at the time Sandow signed for Eels he was not worth $550k PA. So Souths had no choice then but to significantly underbid Eels for Sandow.
Do Souths regret Sandow leaving , of course , that was the case when he signed with Eels. The question is do we regret not matching the Eels offer ? Definitely not then and now with hingsight of his form recovery would be a cap affordability question. Mute point as it is done.
Meantime , I tend to think that one of the reasons for Sandows performance improvement was on the back of the "teams" overall improvement.I believe we will better next year overall , with the open question on a half to be closed.
Is it Reynolds ? Is it Peats ? Is it ROberts ? Is it someone that our new coach is bringing? However if Manly can pick a Cherry from nowhere , lets see how good our talent leaders are.

slammingsam

Juniors
I think people are really over stating what Sandow is doing. If Bowen's field goal bends in 1cm more to the left than the Cowboys win and no one is discussing Sandow. He is a brilliant individual - no doubt. He isn't what I want at Souths though in my halfback. He can come up with the intercept or the jinking try to the white line but overall I'd rather a steady half who kicks and tackles well and does the little things right. You only have to look at another rookie in DCE if you want to compare.

The top 4 teams halfbacks are Cronk, DCE, Wallace and Johnson. Can you see the similiarties?

Galeforce

Bench
if we can get a smart halfback who can tackle , sandow will not be missed. reasonable goalkickers we have