What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devastated - RL1908.com

RL1908

Bench
Never really read anything about the past in the game. But for $20, an autographed copy is a steal and if nothing else, a good conversation starter when its sitting on my coffee table. Hope I get through it!

I think I designed the book with you in mind! Each chapter is broken up into a dozen or so headlined sections - so you can dive in and out of the story wherever you like!, or read it from front to back.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think I designed the book with you in mind! Each chapter is broken up into a dozen or so headlined sections - so you can dive in and out of the story wherever you like!, or read it from front to back.

Hey mate I like your RUGBEIA site and never knew about the U.S.A. winning 2 Olympics esp with some being American Footballers but why didn't the UK national teams not enter ????

RL1908

Bench
Hey mate I like your RUGBEIA site and never knew about the U.S.A. winning 2 Olympics esp with some being American Footballers but why didn't the UK national teams not enter ????

Presumably as they could only enter as combined UK/GB team, not the individual nations of the Kingdom. RU also aligned itself more as an 'Empire game' - they welcomed other nations playing the game, but they weren't given any official recognition or say. Even Australia didn't get a recognised seat on the IRB until 1948.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I'd like to add another meaningless pat on the back. I haven't been to RL1908 for a while because I'd read it top to bottom and back to front years ago. I still used it as the occasional reference and own a copy of THe History Of Rugby League Clubs. I couldn't put that down.

Thanks for your efforts Sean. You're a champion.

m0nty

Juniors
It's a sad event for Australian sport, let alone RL. I hope Sean has his mind changed for him by someone reaching out and making his financial model work again.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I'd like to add another meaningless pat on the back. I haven't been to RL1908 for a while because I'd read it top to bottom and back to front years ago. I still used it as the occasional reference and own a copy of THe History Of Rugby League Clubs. I couldn't put that down.

Thanks for your efforts Sean. You're a champion.

I check amazon for that as it be easier (I think) for buying in the UK.

Smithtown

Coach
I haven't previously purchased any books by Sean Fagan (there is an irrelevant reason for this) so far, and didn't much visit the RL1908 resource.

Be that as it may, I do respect the passion, heart and obvious love the Fagan has for the game as a person.

The problem here is that there is very little REAL passion, heart or love left in our game. But what's more, anywhere you scratch the surface and look there is instead only indifference, self interest and a distinct lack of genuineness.

Whether it is a game that sells radio rights to one commercial station for the sheer purpose of being both unfunny and not promoting the very product it purports to talk about, to a TV station that has abused the games followers for over a decade, to a newspaper organisation that religiously refuses to comment on play and would rather comment on and/or invent scandal.

A bloke like Sean Fagan won't fit into a mould here. Those charged with promoting and supporting our game within the media appear to have taken an oath to help destroy it at worst, or at the very best dumb it down. And they have essentially succeeded.

If you don't know where you have come from it's hard to know where you should go. Maybe that is why there is little to no interest in Rugby League history - we collectively don't know where we should be heading, and those that could have a hand in showing the way aren't interesed in doing so.

Except for a select few, of which Fagan is clearly a part. My cheque is in the mail.

perverse

Referee
tip of my hat to RL1908, your service was appreciated while it lasted, but you shouldn't be expected to do it as a charity. I'd say your only real avenue to continue with RL history, and actually make it worth your while, would be through official channels. even then, there is probably limited opportunity, if any. a shame... because it's good information that will no doubt be lost in time, given the way our game is run (shoddily). there's really just not much of a market for Rugby League history.

best of luck with your future endeavours, and i trust you'll still drop some knowledge bombs here and there around the forums from time to time.

Last edited:

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Hey Sean. Thanks for your wonderful work and the website you provided. I thankfully am an owner of one of your books through a birthday gift from my wife which you kindly signed as well. Wonderfull read.
I am offen dismayed at how little rugby league people know about the history of their own game. I guess you're a victim of this mentallity.

Dogs Of War

Coach
You need to do a reprint of the history of rugby league clubs, I love reading history of league. Generally what I see as the problem with most rugby league books is that they are written for 12yr olds. The Terry Lamb story was a good example of that, though I do like the Wayne Bennett books, always have me pumped to better myself after reading them (though still written for a certain audience in mind).

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Ill be getting one of your books as a Christmas present methinks. You wouldnt happen to know where I could find a reasonably priced copy of The Forbidden Game by Mike Rylance would you?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The elevation in tone for Rugby League discussion is certainly something we can thank Sean Fagan for. In many ways, he succeeds in ways that the guys in the Forum Sevens strive for - meaningful and insightful discussion of the game we love.

I can only applaud you for what must have been many tedious hours spent at the library ploughing through microfilm and other sources. Though out of these laborious times some absolute gems must have been discovered. Fans of your work certainly believe it has been worth it. My deepest thanks.

I've tried my hardest to bring attention to your site over the years and many of my friends have enjoyed your articles. You graciously sent me a signed copy of Pioneers of Rugby League and it made a long journey to the UK far more interesting. I hope you can take great pride from the fact you've brought so many enjoyment through the reading of your articles. All the best for future endeavours and we wait anxiously for your next move.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Any chance of submitting your articles to a media organisation or even Rugby League Week for payment.

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
You need to do a reprint of the history of rugby league clubs, I love reading history of league. Generally what I see as the problem with most rugby league books is that they are written for 12yr olds. The Terry Lamb story was a good example of that, though I do like the Wayne Bennett books, always have me pumped to better myself after reading them (though still written for a certain audience in mind).

+1 I love reading about the history and would buy it in a heartbeat.

RL1908

Bench
Thanks to all for the posts - I do read them all, and take them on board.

Any chance of submitting your articles to a media organisation...

Most of my articles on http://www.byanoldboy.com were published in print elsewhere.

Unfortunately the scope for paid freelance work is small these days. Inside Sport are the exception - they have been a terrific supporter of me and many others, and pay fairly for what they use.

As any freelance writer will tell you, having work rejected and/or poorly paid is part of the gig. Other long established RL journos working freelance tell me they increasingly have the same problem with their pieces, not just me.

I have written pieces for RL mags (incl rep match programs), but 2011 hasn't afforded any opportunities, and most newspapers/mags these days have little/no budget for freelance work. None of the newspapers will generally pay for an unsolicited freelance piece - ultimately, if you can get them to take a piece, it's good for your profile, but that's all.

Though at times you may see history stories on other codes/sports in newspapers, it's pretty rare for that to happen with RL - if it doesn't have a timely hook relating back to the present, don't even bother trying to get a newspaper to run with it.

That getting paid freelance work is increasingly harder, is probably why I've focused on RL1908.com's viability and trying to find a financial model that maximises that already written and valuable content.

Last edited:

Latest posts