What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for a 2nd NZ NRL team?

flippikat

Bench
What do you guys here think?

If the Warriors stay this strong over the next 3-5 years, surely there's a compelling case to be put to the NRL.

Ok, we've probably missed the chance for the upcoming expansion round - The Bears & Reds have well-developed bids, and then there's any number of Brisbane-area syndicates in the running.

But perhaps next time around? We have the raw playing talent for it - and imagine the buzz that a Warriors v NZ2 (Orcas? Keas?) would create!

kier

Juniors
The strength of the U20s is going to create a critical mass of NZ players that will make a 2nd NZ team inevitable. The proportion of NZers playing NRL first grade is going to rise and rise.

I'm also hoping it will force a change to SoO eligibility. At the moment several stars are not on show in SoO because they've (quite rightly) opted to represent their national teams. This situation is only going to increase as NZ born players continue to be signed up.

How long can aussies maintain the Oz-centric* view that SoO is the pinnacle of RL when the best of the NRL isn't on show?

*not my view....nothing beats internationals imo.

thorson1987

Coach
The strength of the U20s is going to create a critical mass of NZ players that will make a 2nd NZ team inevitable. The proportion of NZers playing NRL first grade is going to rise and rise.

I'm also hoping it will force a change to SoO eligibility. At the moment several stars are not on show in SoO because they've (quite rightly) opted to represent their national teams. This situation is only going to increase as NZ born players continue to be signed up.

How long can aussies maintain the Oz-centric* view that SoO is the pinnacle of RL when the best of the NRL isn't on show?

*not my view....nothing beats internationals imo.

I'm sorry but i don't believe in allowing Kiwis and Poms playing S.O.O

I do believe though in letting players from minnow nations play S.O.O and still represent their country.

kier

Juniors

I do believe though in letting players from minnow nations play S.O.O and still represent their country.

The SoO concept was designed to breath life into interstate RL and to get the best players available. For over 20 years it's made SoO what it is.

It's inevitable imo that as more players like Marshall, Foran, Johnson....etc emerge (ie, exciting playmakers that bring in crowds) the SoO position is going to shift in the minds of spectators.

Quite simply - if the best players aren't in it is it the best contest?

Changing the eligibility rules would;
1. boost SoO claims to be the best of the best
2. raise the profile/level of international football as various nations would be able to tap into the talent available to them.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Definitely a need for a 2nd team and the plans should be put in place for entry 2015-2017.

Look at 3 of the top four teams in the NYC this year. Warriors minor premiers and Cowboys and Storm got there with a huge Kiwi influence.

ozbash

Referee

Aussies make up different rules to suit themselves, eg, K Hunt, T Carrol, B Thorn.

SOO is going stale, fast.

TheDMC

Bench
The SoO concept was designed to breath life into interstate RL and to get the best players available. For over 20 years it's made SoO what it is.

It's inevitable imo that as more players like Marshall, Foran, Johnson....etc emerge (ie, exciting playmakers that bring in crowds) the SoO position is going to shift in the minds of spectators.

Quite simply - if the best players aren't in it is it the best contest?

Changing the eligibility rules would;
1. boost SoO claims to be the best of the best
2. raise the profile/level of international football as various nations would be able to tap into the talent available to them.

I just can't see it happening for a long time. What drives RL is the inter-club and inter-state 'hate' factor, something most ozzie RL supporters can't and won't see past, hence the lack of emphasis on developing the game internationally and broadening concepts like SOO. It is a travesty that most aussies see SOO as the pinnacle of RL and not internationals.

What bodes well, at least for the international scene, is the ever-strengthening kiwi team. The more success we have against the aussies there, the more the average club/SOO supporter will engage with it. Apart from our recent WC/Four nations finals successes we still need to deliver more consistently at that level (ie Anzac tests).

kier

Juniors
I just can't see it happening for a long time. What drives RL is the inter-club and inter-state 'hate' factor, something most ozzie RL supporters can't and won't see past, hence the lack of emphasis on developing the game internationally and broadening concepts like SOO. It is a travesty that most aussies see SOO as the pinnacle of RL and not internationals.

What bodes well, at least for the international scene, is the ever-strengthening kiwi team. The more success we have against the aussies there, the more the average club/SOO supporter will engage with it. Apart from our recent WC/Four nations finals successes we still need to deliver more consistently at that level (ie Anzac tests).

I agree that the 'hate factor' is important....but I'd argue that it hasn't been diminished when the Qld/NSW teams have taken players under a flag of convenience in the past.....so would it be affected just because these players aren't (potentially) going to represent Australia? It appears to me that the fans get behind whoever wears the state colours and it isn't adversely affected by the actual nationality of the players.

But.....to get back to the main thread. Yes there should be a 2nd NZ team and I'm confident one will be in place in the next 5 years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Love what's going on in New Zealand and the success of the warriors. 2017 should be sealed as the time for a 2nd New Zealand team.

As for State of Origin, the success and continued rise of New Zealand takes away the argument that players not from NSW or Queensland should be allowed to participate. Tests should be the pinnacle of the game and will be with New Zealand's continued progression.

I hope all Warriors fans and kiwis enjoy the week and good luck on Sunday. I'll be cheering for ya.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Aussies make up different rules to suit themselves, eg, K Hunt, T Carrol, B Thorn.

SOO is going stale, fast.

Craig Smith is a Kiwi through and through and he also played SOO. Adrian Lam.... another that played tests for PNG but SOO. Aussies just make the rules as it suits them.

JoeD

First Grade

You're obviously a storm fan. Whats happens when the first victorian junior gets to SoO level?

_addict

Juniors
I'm with those that say that Tests should be the pinnacle. The Aussies have every right to determine the rules for origin (personally I think they should remain as is). We don't really need to try and push a case for Kiwis in origin. The weight has already begun to shift on the back on the mass of Kiwi top flight player numbers anyway. It is all inevitable.

thorson1987

Coach
You're obviously a storm fan. Whats happens when the first victorian junior gets to SoO level?

Unfortunately i believe they should not play S.O.O

I have been a blues fan longer then a Storm fan.

S.O.O should not be the pinnacle of our sport.

I have always seen it that the greatest honour for a RL player is to pull on your national jersey.

thorson1987

Coach
I'm with those that say that Tests should be the pinnacle. The Aussies have every right to determine the rules for origin (personally I think they should remain as is). We don't really need to try and push a case for Kiwis in origin. The weight has already begun to shift on the back on the mass of Kiwi top flight player numbers anyway. It is all inevitable.

this.

Latest posts