What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we leverage the warriors to piss off the RUWC organisers?

Moffo

Referee
Well

Let's look at the facts. There are loads of RU fans from around the globe in NZ at the moment

Wouldn't it be great to inform them whilst they are there that NZ has a team in the GF this week? Replaying that final try from the warriors last night would have people in raptures.

How can we do it smartly?

My idea is to set up live sites around the country with a free gift given to anyone who comes from another country. Not sure what games are on in the RUWC on Sunday night (hopefully nothing too good) and we could really make a fist of upsetting their apple cart

kier

Juniors
I don't think we need to embark on a specific campaign to upset the RUWC - it's too popular and any actions like that will be seen for what they are by average NZers (a bit petty and childish).

The Warriors are popular enough throughout the country for them to build their own momentum.

The one thing I would advocate though is lobbying to make the public areas with big screens around NZ available for fans to watch the GF.

These have been paid for by NZ taxpayers, are already in place, and there isn't a reasonable argument for not allowing them to be used for what is a genuine major sporting event with country-wide support (the atmosphere in NZ in 2002 is testament to that).

If these areas are NOT made available then that would be petty, childish behaviour on the part of the RU/local councils and I would expect the NRL/NZRL and Warriors to complain.

Moffo

Referee
Agree kier, perhaps the terminology I used was a bit strong. There is little point in terms of trying to compete directly

That said, I actually see it as more of an opportunity to showcase league. It's a positive that we have this opportunity to show everyone what the NRL has to offer!

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The media coverage of the Warriors this week will be massive in NZ...all those Rugby World Cup Nations and Supporters will get a taste of it.

In the 2003 RWC, the Georgians went to a League match and loved it. They started to play Internationals and were getting crowds of 10,000 against Russia!!! Unfortuntly for them they didnt start a domestic comp so they were kicked out of the RLWC 08 Qualifiers.

Saints fan

Juniors
I don't think that anything too major has to happen for people over here to get interested in the League. It is going to be huge in the media over here all week and the ability of NZr's to bandwagon jump is beyond belief.

Te Kaha

First Grade
I don't think we need to embark on a specific campaign to upset the RUWC - it's too popular and any actions like that will be seen for what they are by average NZers (a bit petty and childish).

The Warriors are popular enough throughout the country for them to build their own momentum.

The one thing I would advocate though is lobbying to make the public areas with big screens around NZ available for fans to watch the GF.

These have been paid for by NZ taxpayers, are already in place, and there isn't a reasonable argument for not allowing them to be used for what is a genuine major sporting event with country-wide support (the atmosphere in NZ in 2002 is testament to that).

If these areas are NOT made available then that would be petty, childish behaviour on the part of the RU/local councils and I would expect the NRL/NZRL and Warriors to complain.

Not much chance with the kick off at 17:00 Aussie time... with next Sundays games are Argies vs Georgia at 13:00, NZ vs Can at 15:30, Wales vs Fiji at 18:00 and Ireland vs. Italy at 20:30 ... there would be no reason for the GF to be put on the big screen after those... but the chance of getting it instead of the RWC games wouldnt be very high.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
With daylight saving starting would the match be kicking off at approx 8:20 NZ time?

Saints fan

Juniors
NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final Day at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium on Sunday, October 2:
2pm: NSW Cup Grand Final: (Teams TBC)
4pm: Toyota Cup Grand Final: Warriors v North Queensland Cowboys
7pm: NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final: Manly Sea Eagles v Warriors

Adjusted for NZ time. It will more than likely kick off about 7:15 though.

Moffo

Referee
I haven't been in the country for the GF for a few years...what happened to the 5pm kick off?

Geez the NRL are money hungry merkinz!

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/5680339/No-Warriors-final-in-fan-zone-officials

Auckland's Rugby World Cup fan zone will black out next Sunday's Warriors rugby league grand final game with Mayor Len Brown warning of tight contractual arrangements in play.

A capacity crowd at Party Central in downtown Auckland watched last night's All Blacks v France rugby match, but then thousands left to find somewhere to watch the Warriors defeat the Melbourne Storm in a league semi-final.

Next week the Warriors will play the finals at the same time two crucial pool RWC matches will be underway.
The Government's Party Central representative, Peter Winder, said today that at both Queens and Captain Cook Wharves, "lots of people" left to watch the Warriors.

Asked if they could show the grand final next Sunday, he replied: "Love to, but as I am sure you will understand there are rather difficult commercial arrangements in playing a league game in a Rugby World Cup fan zone."

Brown would not reply to a question of whether arrangements could be made next week, saying the council would think about it over the next couple of days.

"But as Peter says we are acutely aware, Rugby World Cup has very very tight contractual arrangements and you've got to be careful."

snoozer

Bench
with 3 teams on show you think someone would get behind it over there and make something available for large crowds.

go warriors(and vulcans)