What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Juniors/Reserves Thread

Didgi

Haha, he's scored 15 tries in 18 games.

Full time the score has blown out to 44-12! 2 late tries to Morgan and a try to Grevsmuhl.

Nathan Crowley 29m
Michael Parker Walshe 33m
Zachary Santo 48m
Zachary Santo 51m
Nathan Norford 66m
Michael Morgan 70m
Michael Morgan 79m
Chris Grevsmuhl 80m

Feldt 5/8

Didgi

Michael Parker-Walshe took his tally to 17 tries in 19 games with a double in the boys' win over the Dogs.

North Queensland Cowboys 22 (Michael Parker-Walshe 2, Michael Morgan, Moses Pangai tries, Kyle Feldt 3/4 goals) defeated Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 18 (Daniel Abou-Sleiman, Josh Gill, Tupou Sopoaga tries, Tim Lafai 3/3 goals).

Dogs got up to 12-0 midway through the first half before we scored 4 tries to take the lead and win despite a late try from Sopoaga.

Statistically the standouts were Pangai (18 runs: 167m, 8 tackle breaks, 1 line break but also 5 errors), Taumalolo as always with 17 runs for 165m, and Gadd made 36 tackles, most for the match.

Big Pete

Referee
With Parker-Walsh moving into the Top 25 next season, is there any word on what position King will be trying to groom him for?

I don't think he has a future as a five eigth and with a plethora of talent filling the centres and backrow that only leaves the fullback position and there is no way he'll go ahead one of your clubs all time greats.

Any words or opinions on the matter?

elyod138

Bench
With Parker-Walsh moving into the Top 25 next season, is there any word on what position King will be trying to groom him for?

I don't think he has a future as a five eigth and with a plethora of talent filling the centres and backrow that only leaves the fullback position and there is no way he'll go ahead one of your clubs all time greats.

Any words or opinions on the matter?

Pretty sure I read that he was looking at him for centre and fullback depth.

Didgi

Never seen him play at fullback, does he have any problem playing there?

I would think halves - Morgan/MPW; centres - MPW/Linett/Pangai - dependant on improving aspects of his game; wing - Linnett/Feldt/Ulugia; fullback - Ulugia/KFFL?

Touch wood and whatever other sacred/holy objects you want that our guys can stay on the park for a season...

Didgi

Shamelessly copied from the other Cowboys forum and NRLstats.com:

South Sydney 10

TRIES

James Cooper 50m
Reece Jaeger 55m

CONVERSIONS:

Kurt French 1/2

North Queensland 58

TRIES

Moses Pangai 10m
Alex Elisala 18m
Zachary Santo 28m
Wayne Ulugia 33m
Michael Parker Walshe 40m
Michael Parker Walshe 43m
Tennyson Elliott 58m
Wayne Ulugia 61m
Chris Grevsmuhl 67m
Zachary Santo 71m
Alex Elisala 74m

CONVERSIONS

Michael Morgan 2/4 (50%)
Tennyson Elliott 5/7 (71%)

Another double to MPW takes his tally to 19 from 20 games :eek:

Statistical standouts were all the props - Grev (20 runs, 183m, 6 tackle breaks, 1 try), Kaufusi (15 runs, 185m, 5 tkl brk), Veukiso (12 runs, 137m, 2 tkl brk). Pangai made 128m from just 6 runs, 6 tackle breaks, a line break, try and no errors! Ulugia broke 8 tackles and got a double.

The boys climbed into second with the win and favourable results (Cronulla losing tonight puts us a point ahead, Melbourne also lost putting them 2 points back). Incredibly tonight the Warriors were dealt with 32-12 by a Panthers side that has been disappointing so far.

Last edited:

Didgi

Beasley named for NYC match of the round
23/08/2011 12:45:25 PM
The Toyota Cowboys NYC team are poised to welcome back their second injured forward in as many weeks when they play Cronulla in the Toyota Cup’s game of the round at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.

After prop Callum Haywood made a successful return from a long-term ankle injury in the big win against South Sydney last Friday night, Daniel Beasley has been named to make his comeback from a broken foot against the Sharks.

The team’s top tackler until he was injured against the Gold Coast Titans in round 20, Beasley has to get through a week of training before he is guaranteed his place in the final 17.

“He’s very confident he can and so are the medical staff,” coach Kristian Woolf said.

The inclusion of Beasley, who has alternated between the back-row and front-row, sees Francis Veukiso drop out of the Cowboys’ squad that ran in 11 tries in the 48-point thrashing of the Rabbitohs.

Woolf’s team, on 36 points, can move three points clear of Cronulla and guarantee a top-two finish if they beat the third-placed Sharks in the round 25 match-up on Saturday.

A top-two finish would give North Queensland the opportunity to take the quick route to the preliminary final by winning their first finals match and they would not be able to be eliminated in week one of the finals series.

The Cowboys meet the competition-leading NZ Warriors in the final round at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Saturday week.

The Warriors can clinch the minor premiership with a win against the St George Illawarra Dragons this weekend, but another loss could open the door for the Cowboys to challenge for top spot in the final round.

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys NYC v Sharks
Round 25, 2011 Toyota Cup
5.15pm, Saturday 27 August, Dairy Farmers Stadium
1. Wayne Ulugia
2. Nathan Kepa
3. John Koko
4. Moses Pangai
5. Zac Santo
6. Michael Parker-Walshe
7. Michael Morgan
8. Callum Haywood
9. Alex Elisala
10. Felise Kaufusi
11. Anthony Gadd
12. Chris McLean (c)
13. Chris Grevsmuhl
Interchange:
14. Nathan Norford
15. Tennyson Elliott
16. Jack Svendsen
17. Daniel Beasley

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.a...itle=beasley-named-for-nyc-match-of-the-round

Still no Feldt is a shame.

Didgi

Quoting Cowboys' FB feed here:

Great run by Michael Parker-Walshe to score under the posts for his 20th try of the season! Kyle Feldt converts & NYC Cowboys lead 30-12 with 22 to go

That's 20 tries from 21 games for MPW. Cmon boys, put them away.

Didgi

Full time: Cowboys 42 - 22 Sharks

Our tries came to Ulugia x 2, Morgan x 2, McLean, MPW and Feldt. Feldt kicked 7/7!

Standouts were Ulugia, MPW as normal and Francis Veukiso, I've seen a bit of him and he's looked good every time.

I hate to be too critical of the young guys but for a hyped player, Pangai made 7 f**king errors. 7. I didn't know that was possible. Someone wash the butter off his fingers.

Didgi

Well, the boys are into the NYC grand final in emphatic fashion, crushing Cronulla 38-14. They'll be playing the Warriors, who they've beat once and lost to once this year and who smashed Canterbury in what was I think the biggest win ever.

Talanexor

Juniors
Is Pangai signed for next year? I haven't watched much u20s this year, but from what others have said Feldt is probably the most likely outside back to get a first grade call up.

Didgi

He's 19 now, turns 20 February next year. Not sure how that works out but theoretically yes.

Talanexor

Juniors
Out of curiosity - where does everyone see Elisala getting a crack at first grade next year (if at all).

He was pretty solid on the wing and at fullback, and he's turned into a very good hooker this season too.

Given that Payne is a shadow of his former self, Amos isn't contracted next year and Jones has wasted all the opportunities he's been given, is it possible we'll see Elisala playing hooker in 2012?

Or would they be more likely to go with Thompson to hooker and maybe bring Morgan or Parker-Walshe into the side?

Didgi

Personally I see him as a solid squad backup - good cover for hooker, wing and fullback - but not really an NRL-level hooker as yet. He's certainly showed he's no nuffy at hooker this year, I'm hoping another season in the NYC really sees him establish himself as a good option and he can be our rotation with Segeyaro.

Thompson to hooker is an option I've thought long and hard about, but always thought the argument is in favour of keeping him at 5/8th. He's only just completed his first full season of NRL - and showed improvement the whole way. Whilst I think we definitely need to find space for MPW, it might need to be as a backup and long-term option in the centres or at fullback rather than in the halves.

I hate that at every turn there's so many options! Ulugia, Feldt, Pangai, Morgan, etc etc all pushing up in coming years will give us a real headache. I wouldn't be surprised to see an injury or two next year lead to the debut of a long and successful career for someone...

Talanexor

Juniors
Our youngsters have plenty of utility value too.

KFFL can play wing or fullback, probably centre or even second row if we got desperate.
Thompson - halves/hooker
MPW - Halves, fullback, centre, bench utility
Ulugia - Wing, fullback
Elisala - wing, fullback, hooker

Didgi

Didgi

Cowboys ready for junior Test showdown
16/10/2011 11:59:07 AM
All five North Queensland Toyota Cowboys players will feature in the starting lineups when the Junior Kangaroos face the Junior Kiwis at Ausgrid Stadium in Newcastle this afternoon.

Moses Pangai will be in the centres and Kyle Feldt on the wing as they make their Junior Kangaroos debuts, while Wayne Ulugia will start on the wing, Michael Parker-Walshe at halfback and Jason Taumalolo in the second-row for the Kiwis.

It’s the second straight year that 18-year-old Taumalolo has played for the Kiwis, while Ulugia and Parker-Walshe will be playing their first matches for their country of birth.

Feldt, Ulugia and Taumalolo, who are still able to play for the Cowboys’ Toyota Cup under-20s team in 2012, will be eligible for the junior Test match again next year.

Standby player John Koko was not required by the Kiwis.

Kick off is at 12.45pm (Qld time).

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=44556&cowboys-ready-for-junior-test-showdown

Didgi

Score currently 10-6 to the Kiwis. Havili and MPW tries for the Kiwis, Gagai for Roos

Latest posts