What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watson could move down the order

Hallatia

Referee
This is interesting, particularly interesting to see Watson himself come out and suggest his relegation down the order.
Watson could move down the order
ESPNcricinfo staff
October 1, 2011

Shane Watson, the Australia allrounder, has questioned whether his body will be able to handle the rigours of bowling regularly and opening the batting, and suggested he may have to shift down the order to compensate. Watson has been surprisingly successful the top of the order for Australia over the last couple of years and had previously rejected the possibility of a return to the middle order, but is rethinking his options after the recent tour of Sri Lanka.

"My role in the team has changed," Watson told the Daily Telegraph. "I have additional bowling demands and I do have to consider whether my body will be able to handle it. I need to think about what will be the best for the team, and how to get the best out of myself, moving ahead.

"I will continue to talk to [captain] Michael Clarke about it, but having just gone through the Sri Lanka series with that extra workload, this is the time I am thinking about it more."

Watson, newly promoted to vice-captain, bowled 75 overs in the three Tests in Sri Lanka, a substantial increase per game compared to the 76 overs he bowled across the five Ashes Tests last summer. His batting also appeared to suffer as a result. He made just 85 runs against Sri Lanka at an average of 17.40. In the Ashes series, he was Australia's leading run-scorer with 435 at 48.33.

In order to protect him for international cricket - Australia play South Africa and India later this year - Cricket Australia has placed a bowling ban on him for the duration of the Champions League Twenty20, where Watson is playing for New South Wales.

Watson is also set to release his autobiography, Watto, in two days time, in which he reveals that CA told him to give up bowling in 2007 due to his constant injuries. His subsequent decision to seek an outside opinion was the reason he was able to get back to his best form and keep bowling, and "is the only reason I wrote the book", Watson said.

"I know from speaking to a number of athletes that the information they are getting is often not the best thing for them to get fit constantly. Sometimes you have to look outside to be able to find it. There would have been a number of people who found themselves in my situation and moved on to something else, but it is not always a dead-end."

It was former Australian Football League physio Victor Popov that Watson turned to for help, a move that ultimately paid off for Watson and Australia: "These guys [at CA] were doing their best to help me but when it came down to it, they were giving up on me ... it doesn't get much worse than being told by your team's medical experts that maybe you might never bowl again.

"In the end, I couldn't handle it and I didn't go out of my apartment for about three weeks, apart from seeing Victor ... I cried quite a bit. I felt like I was just about at the end of it, especially as an all-rounder.

"I was 26 and it felt like I was never going to realise my dreams ... I knew that so many other people in the world have a life that's 50,000 times harder than I've ever had. But I was in a spiral and, when you're like that, the only thing that matters is what's going on in your own life."
Source

beads6

First Grade
I have already stated in another thread that this is the plan. Clarke will continue to bowl him more until he moves down the order.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Why arent they looking to sack Mitch Johnson? Get inform consistant bowlers in there, and then Sunshine wont have to bowl 25 overs per dig

lockyno1

Post Whore
All well and good, but ONLY and I repeat ONLY if there is a better option. Now if Nic Maddinson bashes the door down, I would make the move but until then, he opens.

aussies1st

Staff member
It would be good to settle into an order soon. We already moved Ponting, so whatever we do next has to be final. Watson to 4, Marsh to opener looks the best bet. Hussey and Clarke are best where they are. Not ideal when Ponting goes that our top order is filled with the inexperienced fellas.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Watson is having to bowl more to cover for Myth Johnson, just like he had to open the innings to cover him while they dumped Hughes in 09. Has there ever been a more pampered and looked after cricketer in the History of Australian cricket than Myth Johnson??? We continue to juggle our batting order to accomodate this Softcock.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yep, he was only there to cover for Notch as there was no where else to put him

the experiment is over now and its time for common sense to take over

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally think watson and punter should swap in the batting order, and eventually get watson batting at 5 or 6

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Hughes
Marsh
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson...IMO

Watson looks a natural 6 to my eye..

Less pressure on him to get tons,& he would get a crack at the 2nd new ball..Plus he will be facing a lot less spin in Seth Efrika & the home series..Or at least less spin-receptive pitches..

Clarke is a 5..He averages 16 or so runs more there than at 4..

Ponting is on his last legs..Khawaja looks next in line..He needs a score next time he gets his shot though..

Huss bats beautifully anywhere in the order,but has consistent form when batting at 4,so i'd put him back there for the time being..He is on his last legs too,but it seems he will be the hardest to replace..

Hallatia

Referee
I personally think watson and punter should swap in the batting order, and eventually get watson batting at 5 or 6
I have always thought of Watson as a middle order batsman, but he had been Australia's most consistent and best batsman all of last Summer from the top of the order. It's hard to change one of the very few things working for a team.

I personally think that anything which helps see Johnson out of the team is a good thing. I find him really unprofessional and too hot and cold to warrant the consistent selection he is currently getting. I liked him before the 2009 Ashes ...

caylo

Bench
Punter could give opening a crack but I think Marsh is a natural opener and would be a good influence on Hughes (who still seams very nervous at times), Punter back to 3 and Watson to 4. With Clark having the c next to his name I think he should stay at 5.

The other option is waiting until Hussey and Punter move on and having Warner or Khawaja open and moving Watson down to 4 or 5.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think its simple if Marsh opens and every one goes up one with Sunshine coming in at 6.

caylo

Bench
I think its simple if Marsh opens and every one goes up one with Sunshine coming in at 6.

I would love to see Watson in the Middle order rather then lower-middle order because he is one batsmen that can take it to quality bowlers and make them change their length. Outside of Punter there is no one the the Aussie line up that can really do this. For that reason I would hate to see Watson go any lower then 4 or 5.

Watson is a 4. He hasn't got the technique to play top 3 and he hasn't got the mentality to play 5-6 where grinding out an innings and batting with the tail comes in to play.

All he is is a hard hitting, square of the wicket stroke maker

Timbo

Staff member
Doug The Rug to come in for Mitchell 'but I'm good at the WACA' Johnson.

Watson to 6.

Ponting to retire and Khawaja to open.

typicalfan

Coach
Top 4 batsmen score 100s not 30s-60s. Watson isn't a top 4 batsman until he can do this. Keep him up the top for ODIs but for tests bat him at 6. So long as he doesn't run out his established partner!