What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crisis rocks Parramatta club as director quits

EelDredd

Juniors
the board of the parramatta nrl club is in crisis following allegations of financial irregularities and a complaint against the club's chief executive, paul osborne.
Matters came to a head on monday when glenn duncan, a director of parramatta rugby league club and head of the club's major sponsor pirtek, resigned over the board's failure to take action against mr osborne.
For the past three months, the board has been aware of allegations raised about mr osborne, including the use of a top-of-the-range series bmw provided by a club sponsor, and that he has been forced to repay the club $35,000 in unauthorised expenses incurred on his club credit card last year.
Advertisement: Story continues below
mr osborne said yesterday his wife ''had used my business card and that's how it got so big''. He said he was confident he had ''cleared his debts to the club''.
The herald has been told that a $9500 repayment was made through a cheque from a company associated with the club's chairman, roy spagnolo.
Mr osborne said he was sure he had not used mr spagnolo's funds to repay his club debts.
Mr spagnolo was confronted by mr duncan at a board meeting on october 6 about whether he had ever loaned mr osborne money and, if so, why had he not declared a conflict of interest in dealing with mr osborne's future employment.
Four days later, mr spagnolo sent a confidential email to his fellow directors on the board.
''at his request, and using my own resources, i advanced paul monies not all of which have been repaid,'' he wrote.
''having reflected on the matter, and in the interest of probity,'' mr spagnolo said he would not deal ''with paul's future employment while paul is personally indebted to me''.
He confirmed yesterday to the herald that mr osborne still owed him money but refused to disclose the amount. ''it's nothing to do with the club. It is a personal situation,'' he said.
On top of his financial problems, mr osborne, a father of nine and a member of hillsong church, has also been the subject of an internal investigation over his relationship with a work colleague.
Club officials met a young female employee yesterday, who alleges that mr osborne and his colleague had accused her of gossiping about their relationship.
Mr spagnolo said the matter had been dealt with by the board but he did not wish to discuss how it had been dealt with.
As to mr osborne's future with the club, mr spagnolo said: ''he will be with the club.''
mr duncan declined to comment on the osborne matter yesterday, except to say: ''the recent decisions of the board go against all my business principles which place me in a position of no longer being able to meet my expectations and duties as a director.''
mr osborne's financial problems have been exacerbated by his purchase of a $1.9 million byron bay holiday home in april.
Sarah dougan, the real estate agent who sold mr osborne the house, is under investigation by the department of fair trading after $550,000 was discovered missing from her trust account in july. In august, a fortnight before she was made bankrupt, ms dougan placed a caveat on mr osborne's massinger street house, claiming she ''caused monies to be paid towards the purchase price'' and was seeking ''the repayment of the said monies''.
Mr osborne said he had been ripped off by ms dougan and was pursuing her through the department of fair trading.
Two years ago, mr osborne, who earns an estimated $270,000, bought a house with his wife in kenthurst for $920,000.
Mr osborne, 45, who played first-grade rugby league for st george and canberra, is a former police officer and a former member of parliament. He became the eels chief executive in mid 2009.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Where there's smoke there's fire. Or a journo with an axe to grind.

Or just maybe 'Eels in Crisis!!!!!!1!11' articles sell papers in the off-season.

boxhead

First Grade
What is with the punctuation and lack of capitals in the article?
Does gutter journalism breed crummy editors as well?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What is with the punctuation and lack of capitals in the article?
Does gutter journalism breed crummy editors as well?

The punctuation is fine in the original article; it's just the repost here that's all kinds of f**ked up.

The biased reporting, however, is present in the original too. Example - Osborne has accused a club employee of gossip yet the article implies that he is the one facing accusations.

The article also mentions how many kids Osborne has, which church he goes to, and (some) details of a dispute he is involved in with a real estate vendor (who is being investigated herself, yet Osborne is painted as the villain).

Very trashy, but the article has done its job - at least two of us have read it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but only to Eels fans.

When we're in 'CRISIS!!!!!!' fans of other clubs buy those papers too.

Look how nobody gave a f**k about Manly until they imploded last week.

Crisis ahhhhhhhh:crazy:

Kate finally got her dirty story on Parra she's been dying to do that for a while and what an earth shattering story it is. Stop the press everybody.

Although it's a nothing story I would have taken the opportunity for the club to get rid of Osbourne. He's done a heap of good for the fans but if he's miss used company funds then that's sackable. Spags should not of have had to pay up for him.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Spagnolo is a disease to our our club. He should be the first to go.

I'd almost say the opposite?

Spagnolo is a crafty businessman who brings a high level of financial nous to the board. It means he does things which many of us might not like, but it means we were the best performed club financially in the past year; and his ruthless attitude seems to mean that we're very competitive in the player market.

Patorick

Staff member
Ha.

Please don't sack him Parra, I really don't want him back on ABC Grandstand every weekend.

For the sake of his family, your club, and my sanity, I hope this isn't true and McClymont has been duped.

Anyway, Osborne will talk his way out of it, regardless.

Gronk

Staff member
Hold on, his wife racked up $35k on the company card and he didn't know ? HmmOK.

Duncan no doubt thought that the joint was run by amateurs and we wanted no part of it. Mud sticks etc and he needs to be a cleanskin for Pirtek's sake, so he bailed.

Nothing story ? There is an ex-employee who was told to write a cheque for about that amount by Fitzy and he was fired by Spag & Co. Happy to be corrected here.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The punctuation is fine in the original article; it's just the repost here that's all kinds of f**ked up.

The biased reporting, however, is present in the original too. Example - Osborne has accused a club employee of gossip yet the article implies that he is the one facing accusations.

The article also mentions how many kids Osborne has, which church he goes to, and (some) details of a dispute he is involved in with a real estate vendor (who is being investigated herself, yet Osborne is painted as the villain).

Very trashy, but the article has done its job - at least two of us have read it.

Exactly!

Ozzy bought a house, got ripped off by the vendor stealing the cash and declaring bankruptcy --> and so took the matter to fair trading.
Also the club employee who gossiped has been disciplined by the board (including Duncan). Nothing there?
He has a financial shortfall as a result of the alleged ripoff - possible may have done something dumb by using his credit card as a stop gap - and seems Spag tried to help him out with a one-off payment. Duncan thinks this is bad business (lending an employee money leads to a conflict of interest) - and so quit the board.

All it says to me is that the board and Ossie tend to get along well (hence they supported him in the gossip case) and Spag likes Ossie so much that he lent him cash to help out while an investigation is taking place.

Hold on, his wife racked up $35k on the company card and he didn't know ? HmmOK.

Duncan no doubt thought that the joint was run by amateurs and we wanted no part of it. Mud sticks etc and he needs to be a cleanskin for Pirtek's sake, so he bailed.

Nothing story ? There is an ex-employee who was told to write a cheque for about that amount by Fitzy and he was fired by Spag & Co. Happy to be corrected here.

He should be sacked but is Parra really in Crisis as the heading purports? Ozzy has done a lot of good for the fans but anyone that miss uses funds should be done away with.

This is our Craig Thomson affair without the hookers. Seriously what is it with politicians and their credit cards.

I like these guys, they are good guys.

But the point it seems most are missing and that Roy is quoted as saying is Probity.

It would appear, reading between the lines that all of this (in the article) was raised at the recent Board meeting. Mr Duncan seems to have known about the loan and may have stated that Mr Spagnolo needs to abstain from the vote due to his conflict of interest on Mr Osbourne's employment (being personally en debited to him) and Roy may note have abstained or even allowed the vote, the result seems to be in the positive, that Mr Osbourne stays on.

In the Article, Roy is quoted as saying
Roy Spagnolo said:
''having reflected on the matter, and in the interest of probity,'' Mr spagnolo said he would not deal ''with paul's future employment while paul is personally indebted to me''.

If anyone over at ASIC reads that, and then investigates the club on the matter and it is found true, we may be losing more than one board member.

But that is just what I read from it. I could be entirely missing the point.

HevyDevy

Coach
Fans tend to be a sensitive bunch. They hate reading negative stories about their club. I really don't see what the problem is with the story. Gutter journalism? :lol: Hardly.

This may or may not turn out to be a huge deal but given that our board is known to be a bit dodgy I'm not going to pretend this is all a storm in a teacup just yet.