What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

List of NZ Maori Players?

I am one that doesn't quite understand the Maori culture and what players are Maori? so could someone give me a list of players in the NRL who are maori by team please.

Thanks

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Storm FG 2012
It's not listed in their profiles but pretty sure the following are NZ Maori

Jesse Bromwich
Kenny Bromwich
Kevin Proctor
Tohu Harris

(Not sure but Matt Duffie looks to me as though he has some Maori blood but may not)

Adam Blair is Maori but won't be there in 2012
Elijah Niko (cowboys 2012) is also Maori I think but could be Cook Island Maori rather than NZ Maori, just going by his name. Stand to be corrected

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Storm FG 2012
It's not listed in their profiles but pretty sure the following are NZ Maori

Jesse Bromwich
Kenny Bromwich
Kevin Proctor
Tohu Harris

(Not sure but Matt Duffie looks to me as though he has some Maori blood but may not)

Adam Blair is Maori but won't be there in 2012
Elijah Niko (cowboys 2012) is also Maori I think but could be Cook Island Maori rather than NZ Maori, just going by his name. Stand to be corrected

Elijah Niko is tongan or samoan

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Going by my name I think I might have to have a go
There are plenty of a mixed with pacific island blood or even idig. aussie heritage
I might have one of two wrong but pretty acurate.
Feel free to add to it

Go in NYC players and we would have a massive list

Canberra
Bronson Harrison

Warriors
NRL
Kevin Locke
Sam Rapira
Steve Rapira
Lewis Brown
Lance Hohaia
Elijah Taylor
Russell Packer
Matt Robinson

Cowboys:
Kalifa Faifailoa (also half tongan)
James Tamou
Jonathan Thurston (apparently)

Brisbane:
Corey Parker
Cory Norman
Gerard Beale
Josh Hoffman

Gold Coast:
Clinton Toopi
Bodene Thompson

Roosters:
Anthony Cherrington
Sam Perret
SKD
JWH

Bulldogs:
Goodwin
Greg Eastwood

sOUTHS:
Isaac Luke
Roy Asotasi (part maori/samoan)

Eels:
Justin Horo
Carl Webb (apparently)

Melbourne:
Chase Stanley
Jesse Bromwich
Kenny Bromwich
Kevin Proctor
Adam Blair
Tohu Harris
Matt Duffie

Manly:
Terrence Seuseu (I heard he is half??)

St George:
Jason Nightingale
Kyle Stanley

Penrith:
Sandor Earl
Sam McKendry

Tigers:
Benji
Shirnack Brothers

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Rangi Chase :sarcasm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_M%C4%81ori_rugby_league_team

Some times i struggle to know who is Maori or not and i am from NZ!! What i mean by that is some of the selections in Rugby and League for the NZ Maori is hard to believe! i.e Sam McKendry in League and Leon MacDonald in Rugby.

Sometimes you think its just a NZ A side.

If NZRL had the money then you would think they would send the NZ Maori side on a development tour.

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Melbourne:
Chase Stanley
Jesse Bromwich
Kenny Bromwich
Kevin Proctor
Adam Blair
Tohu Harris
Matt Duffie

Chase & Kyle may be part Maori on their mother's side perhaps??? but their famous reli Joe Stanley was a proud PI (samoan I think)

Roy80

Juniors
I think the all-stars game should be Indigenous vs Maori. I think the current format will fade out as who really supports the NRL allstars?

We could have all of Australia behind the Aboriginals and all of NZ behind the Maoris. We would also have 2 teams playing with pride and passion for their race and culture, rather than just 1. For a sporting contest to become a great one, we need two sides to really buy into it. I think it could become massive. Would be two cracking teams aswell.

The Observer

Staff member
I think the all-stars game should be Indigenous vs Maori. I think the current format will fade out as who really supports the NRL allstars?

We could have all of Australia behind the Aboriginals and all of NZ behind the Maoris. We would also have 2 teams playing with pride and passion for their race and culture, rather than just 1. For a sporting contest to become a great one, we need two sides to really buy into it. I think it could become massive. Would be two cracking teams aswell.

Decent idea. Perhaps to maintain and increase the passion for players to represent the NRL All Stars, one thing that could be tried is that the NRL All Stars could be restricted to players eligible for the Kangaroos only? That way, the team would be a surrogate national team (minus the Indigenous players), and players would be trialling for the test team playing at the end of the year.

An Aotearoa Maori versus NZ All Golds fixture could be staged on the same weekend as the All Stars game - the game in October 2008 was pretty good, but would be a really close contest if the Maori were given first choice (like the Indigenous All Stars). Furthermore, an Indigenous Dreamtime versus Aotearoa Maori game could still be staged post-season, as a curtain raiser to a Trans Tasman test (like the 2008 Welcome to the Country game).

Roy80

Juniors

Told ya

Latest posts