What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Side

Panther_Brendo

Juniors
After watching the junior roos against NZ imo Pelasio must play on 1 wing. Given Gordon wouldn't be fully fit next year he should stay on the wing atleast early on. I would go:

Coote, Gordon, Jennings, Daniela, Pelasio, Seijka, Walsh, Grant, Kingston, McKendry, Smith, Austin, Lewis: Seluini, Weston, Plum, Newton

In all the NYC games I have seen (towards the end of the season) he was a real standout (Pelasio). If he has a full pre-season under his belt he may be a top contender for the left wing spot.

What can you tell us about Pelasio's performance?

Are there any highlights of the game available online?

Fibroman

First Grade
Can he tackle like burns um A BIG NO!!give me burns anyday of the week just need a better halfback bottom line..

I agree with the stretcher. Burns needs to be there for his aggression alone. I'd even consider playing him at hooker just to get him into the starting 13.

ashton

Juniors
I agree with the stretcher. Burns needs to be there for his aggression alone. I'd even consider playing him at hooker just to get him into the starting 13.

Yes. I agree with stretch too. The problem is Walsh he won't put his body on the line in both attack and defence.

franklin2323

Immortal

I would give him ago at hooker he lacks creativity but is aggressive which is something we need. As bad as Walsh was last year he was still good for 20 odd try assists. It makes me wonder how good he would be 100% fit & running the ball. Burns on the other hand should let Walsh run the attack then chime in he doesn't. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times he gave Jennings decent ball. Walsh on the other hand gave plenty to Tigjr he just did nothing with it.

coldchisel

Juniors
Seijka should be in the starting side somwhere (1/2 or 5/8) and Nafe should be at hooker. This would change Penriths entire attacking outlook for the better,
injecting pace and straighter lines.

I would start with Gordon on the wing and Coote at the back just so
Flash can ease his way back into confidence and form after what is always
a horrific injury.

Interesting to read comments on Burns. Whilst he isnt the most talented ball player he is certainly a wholehearted performer who lifts those around him, even if he has a few silly penalties in him.

Just a couple of observations from a rival club supporter. Good luck to the Panthers.

Panther67

Juniors
Perhaps the team should look like this:
1. Gordon
2. Earl
3. Jennings
4. Tighe
5. Simmons
6. Coote
7. Walsh
8. Newton
9. Kingston
10. Grant
11. Newton
12. Plum
13. Lewis
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Burns
15. McKendry
16. Weston
17. Ciraldo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
18. Seluini

Coote and Burns could probably share the 5/8 spot. If Coote plays the entire game at 5/8, Burns could come on as a hooker.
Seluini can be a reserve if so he gets a better chance at playing.
I'm not sure on Coote at 5/8, but it may be the only way he could get anywhere near the team, which he deserves.

abpanther

Staff member
Firstly, you have Newton twice.

I don't see any reason why Grant and McKendry are not our starting props in Round 1 and for the next few seasons.

I'd really like to see something different than Tighe and Simmons in our backline. Surely there's some other youngsters out there with more potential like VaiVai.

I think a bench needs to have impact players, to me, guys like Burns and Ciraldo are the antithesis of that. If Burns is not starting then he shouldn't be in the 17 IMO.

Also, there has to be a spot in the 17 somewhere for Austin.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
To make the top 8 in 2012 we will surely have to enjoy a relatively injury free year with no injuries to the key match winners in Lewis, Gordon, Jennings and our starting front row of Grant & McKendry.

There are obvious areas where our roster is simply not as good as the top sides.

I suspect this will be another season of rebuilding with a clean out at the end of 2012 while we gradually bring in the next generation of youngsters.

The best outcome for 2012 for me would be a stellar season where we are highly competitive at home for a change and put on a good show for the home fans which is something we haven't been too good at for some time.

Big Mick

Referee
Two Newtons, No Nathan Smith, No Chris Armit, No Blake Austin, playing Coote out of position. Is that you Mr Elliot.

Kilkenny

Coach
We can only hope Clint Newton aged 30 plus somehow performs at a level most who return from the ESL don't reach.

On his best form ie Storm 2008 he would be a great acquisition but it hard to see him getting to that level week in week out based on similar players who have returned to the NRL at his age.

Panther67

Juniors
Firstly, you have Newton twice.

I don't see any reason why Grant and McKendry are not our starting props in Round 1 and for the next few seasons.

I'd really like to see something different than Tighe and Simmons in our backline. Surely there's some other youngsters out there with more potential like VaiVai.

I think a bench needs to have impact players, to me, guys like Burns and Ciraldo are the antithesis of that. If Burns is not starting then he shouldn't be in the 17 IMO.

Also, there has to be a spot in the 17 somewhere for Austin.

Sorry about that.

1. Gordon
2. Simmons
3. Jennings
4. Tighe
5. Earl
6. Coote
7. Walsh
8. McKendry
9. Kingston
10. Grant
11. Newton
12. Smith
13. Lewis
14. Burns
15. Ciraldo
16. Weston
17. Austin
18. Seluini

Fibroman

First Grade
Newton and Ciraldo may add some impact in the back row from the bench. I'd reallylike to see Austin and Seluini on the bench for impact.

Maybe Burns as a ball playing lock with Lewis into the 2nd row?

stumpyone

Juniors
Why are so many anti Burns? What he adds in aggression can't be lost. Against south's last year he made it his mission to keep Dave Taylor quiet. Also 24 out of 26 goal success rate is handy. He also shores up Jenkos defence in the line. Think about it would you like to be hit by him. Forgive the pun but he punches well above his weight.

anjado

Juniors
Why are so many anti Burns? What he adds in aggression can't be lost. Against south's last year he made it his mission to keep Dave Taylor quiet. Also 24 out of 26 goal success rate is handy. He also shores up Jenkos defence in the line. Think about it would you like to be hit by him. Forgive the pun but he punches well above his weight.

Travis Burns is a five eighth, his job is to create opportunities for others this is basically his main role. When he was at the Cowboys it would of been the perfect opportunity for his style to be a success Thurston could of done everything but he was a failure at the Cowboys.

Simple fact is Burns is not creative enough i like him as a player i like his aggression and if we weren't relying on him to create opportunities for others he would be one of my favourite players.

Burns should be given a chance as a lock forward because he cannot play five eighth if you want Penrith to win the competition which is surely the aim we cannot win the competition with Burns as five eighth, it is already a massive stretch to believe we could with Walsh at halfback but maybe with the right five eighth, he could do a Sherwin role for Penrith.

Burns record as a goalkicker doesn't really matter when Michael Gordon is arguably the best goalkicker in the NRL.

We don't need someone to shore up Jennings defence we need someone to pass him the ball.

I agree he punches above his weight and only a fool would deny his commitment and enthusiasm. But the point with Burns is that we need to be looking at future halves Austin could be a bit special and we can't have a guy like Burns keeping him out of the line up.

Fibroman

First Grade
Travis Burns is a five eighth, his job is to create opportunities for others this is basically his main role. When he was at the Cowboys it would of been the perfect opportunity for his style to be a success Thurston could of done everything but he was a failure at the Cowboys.

Simple fact is Burns is not creative enough i like him as a player i like his aggression and if we weren't relying on him to create opportunities for others he would be one of my favourite players.

Burns should be given a chance as a lock forward because he cannot play five eighth if you want Penrith to win the competition which is surely the aim we cannot win the competition with Burns as five eighth, it is already a massive stretch to believe we could with Walsh at halfback but maybe with the right five eighth, he could do a Sherwin role for Penrith.

Burns record as a goalkicker doesn't really matter when Michael Gordon is arguably the best goalkicker in the NRL.

We don't need someone to shore up Jennings defence we need someone to pass him the ball.

I agree he punches above his weight and only a fool would deny his commitment and enthusiasm. But the point with Burns is that we need to be looking at future halves Austin could be a bit special and we can't have a guy like Burns keeping him out of the line up.

That's why he probably needs to play in the #13.

Sleep

Juniors
1. Coote
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Tighe
5. Earl
6. Burns
7. Walsh
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. McKendry