What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts

Gronk

Staff member
Why Ben Roberts is Rubbish: In read with a mixture of overwhelming anger and a good deal of amusement "The Curious Case of Ben Roberts" on RLeague by Gee Gunaidi, an article very well received by those in the offices who adore, for whatever reason, Roberts.

I have little choice but to respond. I won't delve into too much detail. Most of my case against Roberts has been outlined over about three to four years of weekly rugby league writing. And most sane rugby league fans merely need to watch him play to see plainly the case against Roberts. But I will point a few things out.

There is little doubt that in terms of natural physical gifts, Roberts has something, perhaps even enough to be a first grader. He can run when he wants too. He has a big kick. His passing game is decent. But whatever natural talent he does have is more than offset by his unmatched stupidity and lazy play.

There is no player in the NRL with such a low football IQ. Jason Ryles looks like Einstein in comparison when it comes to football smarts, such is Roberts' standing.

Example one, 2008, Canterbury-South Sydney, 30-30, Bulldogs scrum 20 metres out from South Sydney's line, centre field. It is clear the Dogs will work for a match-winning field goal. Roberts gets the ball from the scrum, grubbers for himself on the first, Canterbury lose possession, South Sydney win the game.

Example two, 2010, Canterbury-Penrith, Penrith 12-12, Canterbury attacking deep. Rather than play the percentages, Roberts puts in a moronic grubber in the corner that turns over possession. Canterbury never get another chance. Penrith win.

Kris Keating is no superstar. He is barely a first grader. But at least he doesn't play like a total and utter moron. This piece won't convince those lovers of Roberts to change their opinion. Neither will his inevitable failure as the Parramatta No.6 in 2012. They will still continue to get aroused by one game against the Broncos. And they will continue to be wrong on their talent assessment of Roberts because part of talent is smarts, effort and preparation and Roberts gets a zero on all fronts.

I'm glad he is gone. He is Parramatta's problem now. And hopefully, for the last time, I have had to deal with this total and utter fabrication that Roberts is a talented player who was harshly treated. He got 93 first grade games at Canterbury. That is about 90 more than he deserved, meaning he got about 30 times better treatment than was warranted.
http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=41579

mickdo

Coach
2 examples of bad play and that makes him a dumb player? Must have had his eyes closed watching Keating then...

Gronk

Staff member
Lol the surname was familiar, turns out written by a old work colleague from my last job. Lovely bloke, big Dogs supporter. He's too nice to be a Dogs supporter though. I hope he gets cured

Hopefully he's wrong. Then again, he is as qualified to sledge him as we are with Mateo, Inu & Morts. ;-)

so once keating is unshackled from the dead weight of roberts he will become benji 2? reminds me of all those souths fans who think sutton will turn into a superstar without sandow holding him back :D

oldmancraigy

Coach
Kris Keating is no superstar. He is barely a first grader. But at least he doesn't play like a total and utter moron.

Stopped reading right there.

Although there's a snippet of truth to his statement isn't there? KK doesn't play like a total and utter moron - he's worse.

If the guy can only find 2 boneheaded plays from Roberts in 93 first grade games, then I'm satisfied. We could find 2 boneheaded plays from KK while playing touch footy on the end of season trip - and that would be just by watching the first 2 times he touched the ball wouldn't it?

natheel

Coach
Ben Roberts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dog shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>kris keating

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Stopped reading right there.

Although there's a snippet of truth to his statement isn't there? KK doesn't play like a total and utter moron - he's worse.

If the guy can only find 2 boneheaded plays from Roberts in 93 first grade games, then I'm satisfied. We could find 2 boneheaded plays from KK while playing touch footy on the end of season trip - and that would be just by watching the first 2 times he touched the ball wouldn't it?
Funny how the Author doesn't mention how well he played in 09 when injury free with a dominant half.

natheel

Coach
Funny how the Author doesn't mention how well he played in 09 when injury free with a dominant half.

so true

roberts ripped with kimmorley.
with chrissy it may take them a bit to work out a solid combo but i think they will do a great job

caylo

Bench
Roberts > Morts > Dog Shit > Raider Pete > Keating.

You got Mortz and KK the wrong way around.

In all honesty I think KK does have game but he is very stupid at the moment but that may change with experience. His kicking game is OK, his long passing game is non-existent but his short passing game and running game is his best asset but unfortunately he is inconstant also he is a good support player.

I still think Roberts in 10 times the player Mortz is but both will struggle without a halfback, Roberts passing and kicking game is far superior and his running game is probably more effective because he breaks tackles with his strength as well but he isn't as nippy. His supports play isn't anywhere near as good but that what fullbacks are for.

Is Roberts takes a backseat to Sandow he will probably flourish because he will have guys like Tonga, Hayne and Matuia to play to. I think Robert will be due for a big season with him and sandow being among the best players for out team next year.