What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 internationals

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The prospect of the England rugby league team touring New Zealand next year looks to be over.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=139576&ref=rss# http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=139576&ref=rss# http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=139576&ref=rss# http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=139576&ref=rss# http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=139576&ref=rss#
21 November 2011 - article from www.rugbyleague.co.nz

The prospect of the England rugby league team touring New Zealand next year looks to be over.

With no Four Nations in the calendar in 2012, an England tour, including matches against the Indigenous and Polynesian All Stars, had been mooted.

But NZRL boss Jim Doyle says it's now highly unlikely they can get the composite teams together.

Doyle says they needed the support of the clubs to release the players.

Doyle says the Kiwis will play an end-of-year test against Australia and may have a match against one of the Pacific Islands.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why do they need to make up more pathetic joke sides? What's wrong with playing PNG or Fiji, nations who have put so much effort into developing the game and are desperate for matches before the WC? But no, instead we need to play against made up joke sides or the tour can't go ahead. f**k me, the people running international RL in the Southern Hemisphere are absolute geniuss. The Pacific nations should tell these people to go f**k themselves and switch to Union, I wouldn't blame them for doing that.

Valheru

Coach
The RLIF should organise a 4 nations competition to be played in Australia and New Zealand at the end of 2012 and enforce Australia and NZ to compete.

Who cares if they don’t want to? No other sport in the world takes 12 months off internationals before a world cup. It’s a ridiculous situation.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
The RLIF should organise a 4 nations competition to be played in Australia and New Zealand at the end of 2012 and enforce Australia and NZ to compete.

Who cares if they don’t want to? No other sport in the world takes 12 months off internationals before a world cup. It’s a ridiculous situation.
From my observances, rugby league is the most physically demanding of all sports. At some point these top of the line players need a break. From what I have read, the players union has requested and been granted a break for their players. Sometimes people forget that these men work very hard for the money they make. Sure, they play a game, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are under tremendous pressure both physically and mentally. They need a break, and, quite frankly, they deserve it.

Valheru

Coach
From my observances, rugby league is the most physically demanding of all sports. At some point these top of the line players need a break. From what I have read, the players union has requested and been granted a break for their players. Sometimes people forget that these men work very hard for the money they make. Sure, they play a game, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are under tremendous pressure both physically and mentally. They need a break, and, quite frankly, they deserve it.

They deserve a break but not at the expense of the international game.

Shortening the season elsewhere would be a better option.

Springs

First Grade
It's not much of a break. All that will happen is the international players will get their time off when everyone else does and go back to pre-season training (in my opinion the hardest part of the year) when everyone else does.

But really, players play up to 28 club matches a year (in Australia) and only 3-4 international games but it's the tests that wear them out? A shortened season and a Lions Tour would have been much better, and more exciting, options.

roughyedspud

Coach

interesting..though that was published before NZ backed out of hosting a tour

here though,published yesterday,richard lewis has promised england a "full schedule"...a full schedule i assume would be 3-4 games

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...1/11/21/RUGBYL_England_Nightlead.html&BID=480

a 8 team european cup would be awesome....the Other nationalities (EXILES) used to play in the european nations cup back in the day,they won it in 1952 & 1955....invite the americans and bingo 8teams

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
interesting..though that was published before NZ backed out of host a tour

here though,published yesterday,richard lewis has promised england a "full schedule"...a full schedule i assume would be 3-4 games

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...1/11/21/RUGBYL_England_Nightlead.html&BID=480

a 8 team european cup would be awesome....the Other nationalities (EXILES) used to play in the european nations cup back in the day,they won it in 1952 & 1955....invite the americans and bingo 8teams
Or they could just have 6 teams, which would keep costs down and make it a lot more manageable and generally better for everyone. And would actually be a genuine European Cup rather than a complete clusterf**k.

roughyedspud

Coach
how is it better for everyone if we know england would walk it before a ball has even been kicked....

you need to get over this exiles thing homer :lol:...we're gonna play them twice next season.....and i would'nt rule out a 3 game series against the Exiles at the end of the season either

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Do the exiles get bonus money for their participation or is this something that each player has to negotiate with their respective teams? I understand that it is not a test, strictly speaking, but it is good competition for England, and the players, IMO, should be rewarded accordingly.

Evil Homer

Staff member
how is it better for everyone if we know england would walk it before a ball has even been kicked....

you need to get over this exiles thing homer :lol:...we're gonna play them twice next season.....and i would'nt rule out a 3 game series against the Exiles at the end of the season either
Whatever. For all I care England can play a five-way tournament against Exiles, Cumbria, Leigh Origin, Ginger All-Stars and however many other made-up teams they want, and the rest of the nations can get on with playing each other and developing international RL.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I'm thinking the only real options for England is a 3 game series vs the Exiles or a 2 game series plus a game vs France. Either way there's not much point playing them against the rest of Europe.

However for the rest of Europe it will be a good chance to just keep on doing what they're doing and get more game time against each other. I would be pushing for an American tour or something to spice up the calendar while the Euro cup continues as is.

A Lebanon/Italy/America tournament to finish would be especially interesting...