What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arthur Beetson has died

Von

Juniors
Sad news.
Regardless of who you support, all would agree he was not only a champion player, he was a champion man.

Noone ever said a bad word about Arthur.

RIP Artie.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I remember talking to him a few times about taking part in Wests Tigers' Centenary Relay. He ended up going to the wrong pub and got their late, but...he turned up despite not having been to a Tigers function in years, and I was proud of my involvement in that.

A true legend of Australian sport.

That relay was a great day for sport. I nearly got run down by Buckets O'Neill on the way out of Birchgrove Oval.

I can see all teams sporting black armbands this weekend.

RIP artie

fantastic player and figure for the game.

also former sharks coach. theres a great part in his book about the only time ET was in the weight room was when they had a cardboard cutout of him in there.

Artie was a great character to have in our sport.

Sad day for Rugby League

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Shocking news. You tend to think blokes like Artie would live forever. Condolences to those who knew him.

R.I.P Arthur Beetson.

I never saw him play, but he was a legend of RL and seemed to always have the games best interest at heart.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Legend of Australia sport, will never be forgotten

Agreed.
I loved watching the Roosters team in mid 70's - Artie, Schubert, Fairfax, Des O'Reilly, Bunny Reilly, Horrie Hastings.

In his younger days, Artie was known as "half a game" but there was no greater distributor or ball popper in his day - and when he got in the clear, he had some toe for a big bloke.

Pretty sad.

MatthewA

Juniors
I didn't agree with a lot of things that he had to say. But he was a great rugby league identity. He will be missed and this will be marked as a sad day in rugby league history.

RIP Artie.

greg

Juniors
I'm one of the lucky older ones who had the privlege to watch him in his prime. Best front rower bar none, ball skills/hands that had to be seen to be believed, very deserving of his Immortal status. I also appreciated his openess and honestly in his latter years when discussing this great game, nothing was sugar coated, if Artie had something to say he said it. Sorely missed.