What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nhl

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Realignment proved best option for multiple teams

nhl.com

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- There was a "simple" option for NHL realignment discussed during the first day of the League's Board of Governors meetings, but as Commissioner Gary Bettman noted, "Simple may have not been so simple."

So instead of just shuffling Winnipeg to the Central Division and either Detroit or Columbus to the Southeast, the Board approved a more dramatic change, but also one that helps ease the concerns of more franchises. The new four-conference format is expected to help most teams, either with lessened travel, more games in the local time zone or more games against the League's marquee opponents -- or all of the above.

"I think it's a real good step today, and it's good for almost everybody in the League," Nashville general manager David Poile said. "I think it's certainly very good for our fans in terms of almost every market. I know our fans really appreciate to see everybody at least once every year and I think that was a strong move. At the end of the day, my best answer is I think we did the right thing."

The schedule will look dramatically different under this plan, which still must be implemented by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. Teams will play one home and one road contest against every franchise from the other three conferences. Clubs in the seven-team conferences will play six inter-conference games -- teams in the conferences with eight will play each other either five or six times against each other.

Detroit, Columbus and Winnipeg are among the teams that will benefit the most from the new plan. The benefits for the Jets are obvious -- many more games against teams in the Central time zone and far less travel.

Either the Red Wings or the Blue Jackets would have been helped by the "simple" solution, but one would have been left as the lone remaining Eastern time zone team in the Western Conference. Both clubs will be able to maintain rivalries with teams like Chicago (and each other), and more games will start between 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. -- as opposed to having so many late-night contests on the West Coast.

The Red Wings and Blue Jackets currently play 16 regular-season games in the Mountain or Pacific time zones. Under the plan passed Monday, that number will be cut in half.

"The biggest part for us was to get the home-and-away with every team," Columbus general manager Scott Howson said. "That really takes away one Western Canadian trip and takes away a California trip. So, we're only going to visit those teams once, which will reduce the amount of travel on us. Where we settled after that we didn't have a strong preference but we're really pleased with the way it worked out."

Minnesota and Dallas also big winners with the League's new look. The Wild and Stars are no longer grouped with teams two time zones away as they are now in the Northwest and Pacific divisions.

A big part of the new realignment plan also focuses on postseason rivalries. The top four teams in each conference will make the playoffs, and the first two rounds will be contained within each conference -- just as it was in the old four-division format from 1981-82 to 1992-93.

This will provide the opportunity for teams to face the same foes with more frequency during the postseason.

Teams currently in the Eastern Conference will have more games against teams currently in the West, but there will also less travel during the first two rounds of the postseason for everyone.

"I think it will help. There's going to be that opportunity," Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis said. "There's new rivalries that get created every year with playoff rounds. If you look at us and Chicago, it is a really strong rivalry now that people look forward to, but that got created really through [multiple] playoff rounds."

"I think it's a real good step today, and it's good for almost everybody in the League. I think it's certainly very good for our fans in terms of almost every market. I know our fans really appreciate to see everybody at least once every year and I think that was a strong move. At the end of the day, my best answer is I think we did the right thing." -- Nashville general manager David Poile The four new conferences are aligned geographically, but there is no perfect fit for the 14 teams currently in the Eastern Conference and not named Winnipeg. Bettman said there were teams in the Mid-Atlantic region that voiced concerns about losing rivalries that have been built, so the solution was not to break up the Atlantic Division clubs.

Instead, Washington -- an old Patrick Division rival -- and Carolina will join those five Atlantic teams to form a new conference. That leaves Florida and Tampa Bay from the current Southeast, and those two will be grouped with the current members of the Northeast.

"It will be good for our fans," Florida general manager Dale Tallon said. "From the business side, getting Toronto and Montreal and Boston to come to our building is really good for us. Travel is the negative, but hopefully we can work around it. ... The travel is not exactly easy to Winnipeg in our division this year, so we're dealing with it. If this is what is best for the overall competitive League balance, then I'm OK with it."

Added Detroit general manager Ken Holland: "From our perspective we think it's a lot better than the current system. We're going to see all the teams in our building at least once. We're going to have more road games on primetime. Any of the 15 teams in the Western Conference understand all the travel we've had to go through in playoff series; you're now going to have the first two rounds of the playoffs within your own conference. And, the other thing is come playoff time your road games in playoffs are going to be on (primetime). We played a lot of road games in the playoffs last year in San Jose and Phoenix, and the games were on at 10 or 10:30 at night.

"I would talk to fans and they would watch one or two periods and wake up in the morning to get the score. Six months ago our thought was we wanted to be in the East, but after looking at this alternative … we felt it was a great compromise and I would say that we're happy."

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Ok so Sid's going to sit out the next two Pens games after taking a heavy hit vs the Bruins.

Also, my Red Wings who were on a 7-game winning streak they loss to the Avs and Blues to now be on a 2-game losing streak. :-( Playing the Yotes tomorrow so better get back into the winner's circle

supercharger

Juniors
nhl-realignment-map_2011-12-03_medium.png

How tough is conference A going to be
i feel sorry for the likes of Columbus and the Islanders will be much tougher for them to get to the playoffs
also i am hearing that we may get 2 new teams
byrne rovelli you must be pleased as a red wings fan only 4 trips to the west coast

Last edited:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
nhl-realignment-map_2011-12-03_medium.png

How tough is conference A going to be
i feel sorry for the likes of Columbus and the Islanders will be much tougher for them to get to the playoffs
also i am hearing that we may get 2 new teams
byrne rovelli you must be pleased as a red wings fan only 4 trips to the west coast

Haha, yeah it'll be interesting, we've really struggled with those Sharks the past two years the less we see them the better. lol.

Well, Bluejackets and Islanders struggle already in their divisions anyway will be interesting to see how it pans out in 2013

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I wanted time to digest.

Wow NRL can take note big changes can be made.

I get the time zone realinment.

I would have argued to have NY split.

NY is the biggest market for sponsors, having two conferences regulars to NY was an opportunity missed.

So would have went, Alantic Conference, Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Capitals, Hurricanes, Lightning, Panthers.
North East Conference, Rangers, Bruins, Sabres, Leafs, Senators, Candiens, Pengiuns

I also read, No agreement for the Coyotes, which the NHL owns, they may offload and tjey could move

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Disagree, All west is harder, all East easier.

Top 4 of 8 make finals v Top 4 of 7

I would agrue easier for Islanders, harder for Bluejackets.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Yeah I've heard about Yotes, would be sad if they moved because they've been a team you always have to watch, you never know what you get with them. If they are moved depending on where even that could be an issue for the proposed alignment.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Was totally ecstatic to have both my Red Wings and Penguins winning their games yesterday and scoring quite a few goals to boot. 8-3 Pens over Sabres with Geno picking up a hat rick and then 8-2 Red Wings over the Kings

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Teenage ice hockey star Nathan Walker appears destined to conquer the final frontier for Australians in American sport: the National Hockey League.

foxsports.com.au

Following in the footsteps of Australian trailblazers Luc Longley (National Basketball Association), Joe Quinn (Major League Baseball) and Colin Scotts (National Football League), Walker is in line to become the first Australian to be drafted into the NHL.

The Sydneysider, 17, is considered the best ice hockey talent to come out of Australia.

He has drawn attention from American scouts in the past 18 months while making a name for himself in senior ranks of the Czech Republic league, playing for HC Vitkovice Steel in Ostrava.

Recently rated the sixth-best Czech-based prospect, he's now a genuine chance to be picked up by an NHL club in the June draft.

Related Content
You decided: Verdict: 2011's biggest moment + 23

Strong performances in the Spengler Cup invitational club tournament in Davos, Switzerland, have further boosted his stocks.

"This is definitely the (type of tournament) where he can get noticed, and he's already on their radars, don't worry about that," Ice Hockey Australia president Don Rurak said.

"It's a huge achievement because he's consistently being put on the ice and he's demonstrated he can compete with the best in Europe.

"As a 17-year-old, that's unbelievable.

"But he's a unique player.

"If you want to put it one way, he's the Wayne Gretzky of Australia."

Vitkovice pulled off an upset victory on Friday morning (EDT), humbling Kloten Flyers 5-1 to advance to the Spengler Cup semi-finals in which they will face hosts HC Davos on Saturday morning (EDT).

Walker impressed in the group stages, in which he scored his team's only goal in a loss to the strong Team Canada.

Walker, a former junior rugby league player, moved to Czech Republic aged 13, leaving his family in Sydney, to further his NHL dream.

His ascension to one of the toughest competitions in world sport is the more remarkable because of his smaller stature.

At just 175cm, the left forward will be towered over by the stars of the NHL - with two-time MVP Alexander Ovechkin and Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin both standing 191cm.

But Ice Hockey Australia board member Andy McDowell believes Walker has the potential to succeed despite his size due to his skill set and desire.

"He's just really hard at the puck every time, he never stops chasing and has a huge work ethic," McDowell said.

Walker will get another chance to impress NHL scouts when he represents Australia in the world ice hockey championships in Poland in April.

~~

I hope he goes well and impresses, but who knows...its a tough gig breaking into the NHL. Some stars do well e.g. Sid, Geno, Towes...and so on while others are given more time at collage hockey or the AHL system

And that whole comparing him to Wayne Gretzky just seems a bit much! In the US/Canada that is always said about Sid too, but I tend to disagree with it. Nobody will ever be like The Great One. Not Sid even, he'll be his own great player over the years

Sood

Juniors
Im pretty sure they are comparing him to Gretzky in how good he is in comparison to other Australian players, not in general, and in that regard, they are 100% right.

Watched him play 3 Spengler cup games so far, he was really good in 2 of them. Hope he can show the scouts some more good things tomorrow in the Semi, though Davos are a tough opponent for his team.

Either way, this tournament has been pretty good for his draft prospects. Canadians are really loving his story, and hes getting some buzz. If he was 6'+ id be a lot more confident about him being drafted, but what he is doing, is very, very impressive.

Oh.. and the goal he scored was against Turco. Thats gotta be pretty cool for the kid. :)

Last edited:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Yeah being a bit small wouldn't help him much but there are also benefits he can use its not all about being the big boy, one only has to look at the little man at the Lighting for proof of that! Small but fast, great hands and pretty well skilled!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Like all sports if you are huge and can move, yeah all good.

Sid, Kano, Stavos, Keithy ain't big guys, I reckon he will be picked up for sure, how well he goes in AHL will be the gauge.

Latest posts