What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
have 9 mentioned the All Stars match this year in the cricket?

they did last year but can't recall anything this year

Billythekid

First Grade
I've said this before but i would think ch7 would be interested in getting the NRL rights just for the impact it will have on ch9. Ch9 will be royally f*cked if they don't get the NRL rights.

docbrown

Coach
I've said this before but i would think ch7 would be interested in getting the NRL rights just for the impact it will have on ch9. Ch9 will be royally f*cked if they don't get the NRL rights.

Even if 7 don't get it, they can ensure that 9 has little left over for other sports and programming purchases.

docbrown

Coach
But what quality sports that are guaranteed high audiences would still be available?

Cricket, A-League and V8's are also coming up.

Problem is apart from a portion of the V8's they're in the non ratings season so they just don't attract the advertising dollars ten wants except for perhaps the cricket.

Cricket skews too old, A-League is too niche and V8's non primetime.

Union isn't up soon but Super 15 only runs half a broadcast season, features unappealing matches with South African teams and games not involving Australia. Union internationals are structured in an irregular manner and like Super 15 overseas matches have poor timeslots.

There's a reason why the NRL & AFL are the big boys of Australian TV sport.

supercharger

Juniors
Of course it's a silly thing. We had another station come out openly to say they wanted to bid for the NRL rights so we instead negotiated behind closed doors and took whatever sh*t deal channel 9 gave us.

If channel 9 were to come to the NRL and offer us like 1.2 billion dollars for our rights than sure i could put up with doing that. However when you know the deal they are offering is a complete rip off why would you not open it up to other sources?

Well this really isn't relevant to the point you were making at all so i'm not sure what you're getting at.

There is a reason that discussing other sports is usually frowned upon on here and that's because they are generally only brought up by people trying to troll. If are bringing up another sport to have a genuine discussion i doubt anyone will care.
my point is that it's not necessarily a bad thing to exclusively negotiate a new deal with the current rights holders rather than puting the rights to open tender as the network could offer concessions it worked for another sport which shall remain nameless :-$ which recieved a massive increase
but in the case of the NRL the rights are severly undervalued and we were hosed
you would think so wouldnt you but every time i bring up another sport the post gets shifted even when as you said it's part of a genuine discussion :x

Billythekid

First Grade
my point is that it's not necessarily a bad thing to exclusively negotiate a new deal with the current rights holders rather than puting the rights to open tender as the network could offer concessions it worked for another sport which shall remain nameless :-$ which recieved a massive increase
but in the case of the NRL the rights are severly undervalued and we were hosed

Because in our case the people we were negotiating with had a conflict of interest. That was the most important reason we should have had the neogiations more out in the open.

Also the example you're using doesn't prove anything. Just because they got more money doesn't mean they made the right choice to do the negotiations exclusively.

Take the NRL now for example. If we negotiate privately with nine we are absolutely guaranteed to get a big increase, probably even bigger than the example you are using.

However we can get an even bigger increase by allowing other bidders to come and try to stake their claim (especially when we want to split up the rights).

Fair enough the sport you are describing got an increase doing things that way but that doesn't mean they couldn't have got more with some competition.

you would think so wouldnt you but every time i bring up another sport the post gets shifted even when as you said it's part of a genuine discussion :x

I'm not a mod here so i don't know how things work so i won't comment.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Is it such a silly thing though i'm not so sure i know there is the potential to leave money on the table by not putting the rights to open tender
And at the risk of this post being moved due to paranoia of other sports being discussed (here an aversion which seems to be overcome when it comes to deriding other sports)
Another sports governing body (wont say their name though :-$) did a similar thing to what the NRL did last time around and it seemingly worked out alright for them
http://overtimecentral.ca/archives/2006/12/23/analyzing-the-cfl-tsn-tv-deal/
only thing is though said sport isn't so dependent on television revenue due to being a gate driven league unlike the NRL

It's also not in competition with three other professional run football codes in it's country.

even noticed 7 gave the NRL a plug yesterday in the tennis. before Tomic played they did a story on him training with the Titans and when the story was finished Johanna Griggs even mentioned when the Titans first round game was on and who they were playing

and?

bobmar28

Bench
can you imagine 9 if they lose the NRL?

they already bag the shit out of it and wank on about AFL and they have the rights

even noticed 7 gave the NRL a plug yesterday in the tennis. before Tomic played they did a story on him training with the Titans and when the story was finished Johanna Griggs even mentioned when the Titans first round game was on and who they were playing

That's great news - must have missed it as I watched a bit of tennis - maybe Seven is seriously considering a bid and want to look friendly to the code.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
something in the FIN today about Ten and sport http://afr.com/p/business/companies/ten_not_sport_shy_J5upNM2OpDNnibZfAfCHcK

Ten not sport shy

Mr Warburton told The Australian Financial Review he would examine all sports rights as they became available but only if they could fit within the free-to-air network’s primary channel.

“We are interested in looking at all sporting franchises as they come available from the main channel’s point of view,” he said

Mr Murdoch is also believed to be interested in bidding for some NRL games.

Any bid by Ten for the NRL could be complicated by Mr Murdoch’s association with News Corp, which owns 50 per cent of pay television company Premier Media Group.

The rival Nine Entertainment Co is expected to renew its NRL rights in some form but is also dealing with $2.7 billion in senior debt that must be refinanced by February 2013.

that's just some bits as you'll need to subscribe if you wish to read in full

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
irrelevant
and besides it's not as if the A league or super rugby or afl are much competition for RL in Nsw and Qld anyway

Australia is not just two states though.

and :?

wtf are you on BDGS?

Seven network? The AFL network?

Hmm, you're on that bandwagon now too El Diablo. Disappointing for a mod to do that.

On topic, who cares if ch 7 talk about Rugby League or do a story on Rugby League because it's relevant to tennis? It means nothing. You are reading too far into it. Just because 7 is the AFL network, it does not mean it can't show news or talk about other codes.

El Diablo

Post Whore
f**k you're stupid BDGS

just that line by Griggs is something 9 would never do

the sooner we get off 9 the better

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Mr Warburton told The Australian Financial Review he would examine all sports rights as they became available but only if they could fit within the free-to-air network’s primary channel.

So why does ONE even exist then? Amazing how they gutted and destroyed a channel I loved in less than 12 months.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe it was more to do with the sports they showed? Generally sports rates well so I would be surprised if it A) rated any lower than now B) rated any lower than other secondary digital channels. I'd suggest the decision had a lot more to do with Foxsports wanting a monopoly than on potential ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.