What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lean machine Jamal Idris raises bar for Gold Coast Titans

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
THE baby fat has been stripped and a muscular Jamal Idris is set for a rebirth at the Gold Coast Titans next year.

Idris has been training the house down in Robina this pre-season, losing 4kg of body fat and 2cm from his skinfolds.

He has also added close to 2kg of muscle allowing him to break the club's bench pull record, which stood at more than 120kg.

Opponents should be nervous because Idris had previously just used his God-given size to smash anyone in his way as his young body was still developing in the gym.

Titans director of athletic performance Chris McLellan said he was delighted at the progress Idris had made since walking into Skilled Park six weeks ago.

"Because of his hand surgery he hasn't been able to do everything, but that hasn't stopped him doing as much as he can in the gym," McLellan said.

"He's down four kilos in six weeks. I'm very happy with Jamal.

"He's lost fat and he's put on a kilo or two of muscle."

The 21-year-old is currently 121kg and McLellan said he would drop a few more kilograms before round 1 in early March.

Idris has previously played in the 115-116kg range, but that could change next year as he will have less fat and more muscle.

"Playing at 118 is probably where he wants to be. I'm not sure if that's where we want him to be," McLellan said.

"It's only December so he will probably drop another three to four kilos.

"It's not about the scales though. It's about lean muscle mass and body fat.

"His skinfolds are down 20mm. He broke the bench pull record with one injured hand and when he's allowed to do bench presses again he will probably go close there.

"We haven't drawn a line in the sand in regards to a kilogram mark. If he can carry 118kg and still do the times we require him to do then that's fine."

Idris said his injured left hand would be healed in time for the trials.

"My fend should be pretty good because I've doing so many weights on the one arm," Idris joked.

"I've had a few pb's in the gym so far. I'm feeling really good and am loving the pre-season here at the Titans."

Idris is set to link up with lightning fast winger Kevin Gordon on the Titans' left edge.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...s-bar-for-titans/story-e6frfgbo-1226226701413

God-King Dean

Immortal
Idris is set to link up with lightning fast winger Kevin Gordon on the Titans' left edge.

Most interesting part of the article. Is Idris left or right handed?

Needs way better reflex than last year; absolute turned like a ship in defense and 118kg to me still seems way too much as a centre and I don't think he will be a favour to expansive ball movement because he is still poor with his leg drive and while he has plenty of strength just at times fails to ignite his motor and in comparing to Dave Taylor who is roughly the same weight, Dave is Akuila Uate.

Titanic

First Grade
Pre-season rhetoric to capture the slightest threads of interest from all of us rugby league tragics ... I'm just happy to wait and see what he brings but El Diablo's penis quip made it all worth the read :D

But then again what more could you expect from being Post Whore as compared to pre-whore apart from an accelerated heart rate and a lighter wallet?

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Idris focused on slimline NRL look

Jamal Idris says he's desperate to start the new NRL season with the Gold Coast in the best shape of his young career.

Idris endured a disappointing final campaign with Canterbury after announcing he was leaving to join the Titans midway through last year.

However, the giant centre, who has often struggled to control his weight, says he now understands what he must do to ensure he's in a position to get the most out of his unquestionable talent.

"I am always going to be a big guy," said the NSW and Australian representative, who stands at 194cm.

"I've been doing a lot of weights and feeling a lot stronger and have replaced some of the fat with muscle.

"But it's a case of watching what I do and ensuring I am in the best possible shape."

Idris has shed four kilos since reporting for pre-season and currently tips the scales at 121kg.

He believes he can get that down even further for the Titans season opener against North Queensland on March 3.

Idris is also confident a change of environment will improve him as a player.

"I am only 21 and feel I can get better, and that my best is still to come," he said.

"I'm looking forward to working under Carty and playing my footy up here."

Titans coach John Cartwright has been impressed with the attitude shown by his new signing and that he can help the side banish the memory of a woeful 2011 which ended with the wooden spoon.

"It is never easy for any player this time of year - we work them hard," he said.

"I'm happy with where Jamal is. Getting into full shape can take a little bit of time, but I believe he'll be fine.

"This time of year is a bit like Twenty-20 cricket - it's a bit of fun before the serious stuff starts."

http://www.nrl.com/idris-focused-on-slimline-nrl-look/tabid/10874/newsid/65633/default.aspx

babyg

Juniors
121kg is not very lean. Willie Mason and Petero are the same height and played at 110-115.

Titanic

First Grade
Seems like the same data regurgitated ... at 121kg he will be spending more time bent over with his hands on knees than bursting through the defence.

MatthewA

Juniors
We've heard this every year. Good luck to him, but doubt this year will be much different. His defence is dreadful and I don't see it improving at a team like the Titans.

Here are what the tallish solid or better centres are billed at.

Chris Lawrence (Tigers) 187cm/96kg
Justin Hodges (Broncos) 190cm/99kg
Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs) 195cm/106kg
Blake Ayshford (Tigers) 190cm/92kg
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Roosters) 188cm/102kg

And
Jamal Idris (Titans) 194cm/121kg

GI is the heaviest centre barring Jamal and is more effective across the park with pretty much everything, 1cm taller, 15kg lighter.

Jamal has strength on his side but struggles to make leg drive and you see him fending off players but at times he really doesn't get anywhere. I know he is naturally big but he won't be amongst the elite centres until he makes a complete body transition and plays at a reasonable weight for football and not the WWE.

Dave Taylor is probably an equivalent in terms of weight but Dave is actually maintains his fitness not like he used to at the Broncos but i guess he was growing into his body but he can create leg drive easily.

I guess T-Rex is another you can equate to Idris. He is 192cm and 114kg but he also is much fitter and more conditioned and creates stronger leg drive.

Jamal lacks the velocity with his runs. He has shown strength and he has shown speed (for his size) but he can't really combine them together or does on the rare occasion.

Latest posts