What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread part II

Providing the price is right which is your preferred FTA broadcast option?

• All games on Seven

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • All games on Nine

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • All games on Ten

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • Seven/Nine split

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Seven/Ten split

Votes: 109 41.8%
  • Nine/Ten split

Votes: 55 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
Not sure what the current story is, but it definitely increased its ratings when it changed its format to less sports. (from 1% to about 2%)

http://www.frostglobal.com/?p=711

And it was getting killed in the ratings by 7Two and Go. One HD was something like 1% share to 7two's 6.4%

At a lot of stages this year 7Two outrated ABC and SBS.

I think it was the type of sport, other than AFL (which was competing with its main channel 10 for viewing) it was mostly American sports like baseball, NASCAR, bullriding etc.

Is the fact that northern hemisphere sports are at bad timezones and issue for Aus TV?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the game ever expands where do you think the extra game will be slotted in to give most value? Sunday afternoon/evening or something radical like a Thursday night game? Even more radical would be a Wedensday night midweek game, not sure that would happen due to difficulties with fixtures and short turn arounds but I could see a Thursday night game having appeal?

El Diablo

Post Whore
their is a bit of a downer in the FIN article as it talks about Seven West having to do a lot of cost cutting because of what they paid for the AFL with most observers saying they paid too much

not sure how much they'll have in the kitty if they're having to resort to that

franklin2323

Immortal
Is the fact that northern hemisphere sports are at bad timezones and issue for Aus TV?

That's the main problem they had. A sport channel that on Friday nights had no new content against 2 channels with live footy same with Sundays.

When they had live AFL 10 had the same game which took away viewers. The american sports are popular the problem is the timezone. I have 2 tape them due to work many others are the same.

franklin2323

Immortal
Union isn't up soon but Super 15 only runs half a broadcast season, features unappealing matches with South African teams and games not involving Australia. Union internationals are structured in an irregular manner and like Super 15 overseas matches have poor timeslots.

They offered more then 9 for RU. They didn't get it because it was only of they got a Fri night Australian game live & exclusive. 1 HD gets belted by 7 & 9 on Friday night by sport despite being sports friendly.

franklin2323

Immortal
So why does ONE even exist then? Amazing how they gutted and destroyed a channel I loved in less than 12 months.

I enjoyed it to but they had almost zero Australian sport & got slaughter on weekends. I think that meant they want a big sport to bring in the cash. For example if they get Monday night footy. It will win the night in QLD/NSW so would get prime ad dollars on 10 yet be in HD on 1. but elsewhere would only go on 1HD.

docbrown

Coach
Not sure what the current story is, but it definitely increased its ratings when it changed its format to less sports. (from 1% to about 2%)

The problem with One was that it was stupid strategy.

I posted on the older version of this thread a venn diagram of 7's 3 channels - the main channel 7 was skewed towards middle aged couples/families. 7 Mate then skews towards younger males and the other channel toward females. When you look at the graphic you actually see that 7 covers all the demos with this technique.

10 is a youth orientated network and they made... a youth orientated network (11) and a male orientated network (1) - basically just eating into 10's audience.

The smartest thing would be for 10 to return to a youth demo and retool one of the other as an older demo. With 10's position I'd also scrap one of their digitals entirely.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
f**k you're stupid BDGS

just that line by Griggs is something 9 would never do

the sooner we get off 9 the better

I guess you are responding to me, without using my name or quoting me I'm unsure, but

Is that how moderators on this site act? Playing the man rather than the topic? I expect more from this site, I really do. Such a shame.

What might be obvious to you might not be as obvious to other people, so don't you tells us why ch 7 showing a story on Tomic at training with the Titans is relevant to the NRL TV Rights? hmmm

El Diablo

Post Whore
I guess you are responding to me, without using my name or quoting me I'm unsure, but

Is that how moderators on this site act? Playing the man rather than the topic? I expect more from this site, I really do. Such a shame.

What might be obvious to you might not be as obvious to other people, so don't you tells us why ch 7 showing a story on Tomic at training with the Titans is relevant to the NRL TV Rights? hmmm

i did use your name BDGS

and don't blame me because you're slow on the uptake

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Whatever Ricky, gonna answer the question for those of us who aren't as smart as you or are you above that?

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Cheers Rick. Good Luck for 2012 with the website NRL News. Great place for us fans to go.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i have learnt something new today

BDGS tells me i have posted on some other forum saying i'm some joker called Ricky who has a website

where is this site of mine and when did i change my name?

supercharger

Juniors
ok el diablo
ne parle plus de LCF
sp_0715_10_v6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts