What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emerging Nations?

rlv

Juniors
Any talk about an Emerging Nations Cup yet?? Would it be unlikely since there wasn't one last time??

I think it would be great with so many new national sides playing RL and they need the matches.

Ideally I'd have the 5 nations who were in the qualifiers (Serbia, Russia, Lebanon, South Africa, Jamaica) and add in others like Canada, Ukraine, Czech Republic, Germany, Norway, Malta and Japan to have a 10 team competition.

langpark

First Grade
I've been thinking about it, and I think this MUST happen. Emerging Nations Cup 2013 in the UK, same time as the WC. I think there are too many benefits to not do it. It's just the exact same format as the Four Nations, simple really.

Lebanon
Russia
Serbia
Jamaica

It can be played in places like Cumbria, York, Hull KR etc. So, places where League is played, but are likely to miss out on hosting WC matches... Maybe the GF could then be in a half decent stadium, hopefully televised too...

Also, they could have warm-up matches against WC teams, before the tournament starts. I think this tournament will help make sure these 4 nations are not left behind. If we are serious about having an even more competitive qualification series for 2017, or even expand to the 16 team format, then keeping these teams "in the loop" should be a priority...

TommyGun

Juniors
Lebanon
Russia
Serbia
Jamaica

How have you come up with these teams? Obviously there would have to be some sort of qualifying games. I'm pretty sure Canada have beaten Jamaica recently and they would more than likely beat Russia and Serbia.
The thought of trying to develop the lesser nations is great, however it wont happen in the near future. Not enough money or public interest

langpark

First Grade
I guess Lebanon and Serbia pick themselves, because they've been around long enough and have strong domestic setups. Also they're relatively close to the UK, so travel expenses won't be huge. Russia too but to a lesser extent. Ok, then I guess I just put Jamaica in to round out the group, it was just an example. Who know, maybe all six could compete, with Canada and South Africa joining...

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I guess Lebanon and Serbia pick themselves, because they've been around long enough and have strong domestic setups. Also they're relatively close to the UK, so travel expenses won't be huge. Russia too but to a lesser extent. Ok, then I guess I just put Jamaica in to round out the group, it was just an example. Who know, maybe all six could compete, with Canada and South Africa joining...
How about having all six teams come to Canada. CRL is doing a great job, this could be a great boost for the game in Canada. Games in Toronto, Vancouver etc., with good publicity could do well here. Remember, the largest crowd ever for an Aussie Rules game outside of Australia was in Vancouver.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The money could be better spent in other ways IMO, and I would imagine that the RLEF would see it the same way.

deluded pom?

Coach
The money could be better spent in other ways IMO, and I would imagine that the RLEF would see it the same way.

And for the forseeable future money will always be the big problem. I wouldn't imagine many countries having the necessary finances to fund a jaunt to wherever this tournament would take place without putting on their own players and officials.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, one of our commissioners (when they get power) said that he wants to put an emphasis on the international game. Hopefully thats true because if the ARL came to the party and played ball with the RLEF, it would almost double the influence our game would have at that level.

deluded pom?

Coach
Well, one of our commissioners (when they get power) said that he wants to put an emphasis on the international game. Hopefully thats true because if the ARL came to the party and played ball with the RLEF, it would almost double the influence our game would have at that level.

I hope this is right TEZZA and the said official isn't stifled by others who can't see the big picture.

langpark

First Grade
So, teams like Aus, NZ etc should have their trips paid for, but not the minnow nations? Rich get richer, poor get poorer...

deluded pom?

Coach
So, teams like Aus, NZ etc should have their trips paid for, but not the minnow nations? Rich get richer, poor get poorer...

Totally agree lp. if the WC generates a profit then money has to be set aside to fund things like the 2017 WC qualifiers. I can easily see why the Saffers didn't bother with the qualifiers in 2000 if it meant bankrupting themselves.

judah

Juniors
The criteria should be any side with a domestic comp who can get themselves there.UOTE]

I don't think it is on the RLIF agenda at all.

In saying that, I think it is feasible if a bunch of the emerging nations get together and put a plan forward to the RLIF. I'm involved with CRL and have discussed the potential of getting the likes of Canada, Jamaica, South Africa over to England while the RLWC is going on. If you add a few other countries like Germany, Serbia, Lebanon, Russia, Norway and Malta then I think you have pretty good grounds for an Emerging Nations World Cup. I think 8 teams with 2 pools of 4 would be perfect. Invites could go out to all nations with priority given to the highest ranked teams. Playing during the World Cup in smaller venues that miss out on games would be huge for these nations. I think that if it was marketed well and tickets were cheap, you could get decent crowds. You would have each Country located in different areas of Northern England and get involved in the community. Perhaps one pool playing there games in Lancashire and Cumbria and the other pool based in Yorkshire?

Not sure if there is enough time to get this moving though?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't think it is on the RLIF agenda at all.

In saying that, I think it is feasible if a bunch of the emerging nations get together and put a plan forward to the RLIF. I'm involved with CRL and have discussed the potential of getting the likes of Canada, Jamaica, South Africa over to England while the RLWC is going on. If you add a few other countries like Germany, Serbia, Lebanon, Russia, Norway and Malta then I think you have pretty good grounds for an Emerging Nations World Cup. I think 8 teams with 2 pools of 4 would be perfect. Invites could go out to all nations with priority given to the highest ranked teams. Playing during the World Cup in smaller venues that miss out on games would be huge for these nations. I think that if it was marketed well and tickets were cheap, you could get decent crowds. You would have each Country located in different areas of Northern England and get involved in the community. Perhaps one pool playing there games in Lancashire and Cumbria and the other pool based in Yorkshire?

Not sure if there is enough time to get this moving though?
It won't happen, I don't know about Canada but the other nations have much more important things to spend their money on.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Yes, thus the post. I was expecting more then just "improving domestically" and for you go into detail but whatever.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yes, thus the post. I was expecting more then just "improving domestically" and for you go into detail but whatever.
I'm just struggling to understand why a purported international RL fan would advocate developing nations spending what meagre resources they have so that they can send a bunch of amateur players to England to participate in an ultimately meaningless tournament?