What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop on Grandstand channel 24

Perth Red

Post Whore
what's he saying? ummmm argghhh, yes lots of money but don't know how much, yes expansion but don;t know when or where, yes IC some day, season will be great ummmm, need to look after floundering clubs, ummm game is in a great state despite having floundering clubs etc etc

I could have written the script for him!

Eels Dude

Coach
what's he saying? ummmm argghhh, yes lots of money but don't know how much, yes expansion but don;t know when or where, yes IC some day, season will be great ummmm, need to look after floundering clubs, ummm game is in a great state despite having floundering clubs etc etc

I could have written the script for him!

Yeah you could, you're certainly an expert on writing repetitive gibberish.

jbl31649

Juniors
Actual wasn't all that bad. He still is a Lawyer, smart enough to not to let slip how much until tis done.

One thing I agree with him is we get the deal let dust settle for a few, work on the areas with bids for expansion and try and strengthen exsisting clubs.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Did I hear right that he said he knows what the NRL will be getting for the TV rights before saying something else?

Brutus

Referee
One thing I agree with him is we get the deal let dust settle for a few, work on the areas with bids for expansion and try and strengthen exsisting clubs.

This is one of the things he said in the interview that I do not agree with.

Get expansion happening ASAP and take the an extra game to the networks and you've got your extra cash to help the existing Sydney clubs.

At least the 2nd part of this next tv deal should include 9 games per weekend.

Gallop said RL has tried and failed with expansion in the past, but he of all people should know the reason for this.

I thought he did quite well in the other parts of the interview, particularly on the topic of lobbying the government. Let's hope RL starts doing a lot of government lobbying on several issues. It's an area where we must improve.

P.S The bit where he farted to the tune of Simply the Best was interesting as well. Thanks for pointing that out Ozzy lol

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Did I hear right that he said he knows what the NRL will be getting for the TV rights before saying something else?

He certainly did.

I don't know what to think of that. A bit of a slip on his behalf.

I'd hate to think he aleady knows the exact figure, with the IC not officially in place yet.

Someone did say on this forum that he is already liasing with John Grant, but who knows.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
As I said on the TV rights thread it's a simple amendment to the copyright act and it can be sorted in a few weeks if the government pulls their finger out.

As for the expectation as to what they will get, it falls back to the three projections - $1B, $1.2B & $1.4B.

My feeling re: expansion is that the approach is going to change after the IC. Instead of just letting the bids do the work, I think the NRL is going to get more involved in steering the bids to get their desired outcome and rather than compete at tender set up timelines and goals to be achieved before their introduction. And I'd say those locations will be Perth, Brisbane 2, Central Coast & New Zealand 2. I also think they will set up longer term goals for the other bids.

Last edited:

jbl31649

Juniors
This is one of the things he said in the interview that I do not agree with.

Get expansion happening ASAP and take the an extra game to the networks and you've got your extra cash to help the existing Sydney clubs.

At least the 2nd part of this next tv deal should include 9 games per weekend.

Gallop said RL has tried and failed with expansion in the past, but he of all people should know the reason for this.

I thought he did quite well in the other parts of the interview, particularly on the topic of lobbying the government. Let's hope RL starts doing a lot of government lobbying on several issues. It's an area where we must improve.

I understand your point on expansion and I'm all for expansion, but I would prefer them to go steady, steady. First by identifing the next to teams. Then use some of the cash to establish a club and a junior comp that has a good solid foundation.

It is clear that they'll expand to 2 teams, whoever they'll be, but I want to be reassured that there has been a good emphasis on promting the game in those areas and having as strong plan for future development of local juniors.

However we still need to show loyalty to exsisting clubs aswell, by improve their future development etc.

As for lobbying the government, that really should be one of his roles going inot the future. He has a law degree use it to its full extent for the benefit of the game.

Hope its 1.4b.

And I've divided it fairly.

30% to clubs ($560mil or about $30mil each for 18 clubs). 50% or $15mil for player salary's. The remaining with conditions like future development, marketing/promotion.

the remaining 70% ($840mil) for whole country development of clubs and NRL promotion and future financial investment. Hell stick half in the bank at 4% interest ($16.8mil)

All this also taking into contention general running expenses

Last edited: