What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

rnb11

Juniors
Knights have signed another 350 members odd members today, now on 14,783 and counting. They're doing extremely well

dgsfan

Juniors
With the dodge clearly going on, should there really be a $10,000 prize? Maybe the reward should be the members you sign up.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Question

Regarding the marketing of memberships to the public. I think it would be better to market them as season tickets rather than memberships. At the moment the term "memberships" in the adverts is quite vague IMO and the NRL would be better served by terms like discount season tickets.

In short a season ticket culture instead of a membership culture should be what HQ aim to create!

I think it is not to late to make the change as the notion of memberships is in its infancy in NSW and QLD still.

Thoughts

dimitri

First Grade
Question

Regarding the marketing of memberships to the public. I think it would be better to market them as season tickets rather than memberships. At the moment the term "memberships" in the adverts is quite vague IMO and the NRL would be better served by terms like discount season tickets.

In short a season ticket culture instead of a membership culture should be what HQ aim to create!

I think it is not to late to make the change as the notion of memberships is in its infancy in NSW and QLD still.

Thoughts

i disagree

season tickets - implicate only full season ticket packages

memberships - is a warmer term, and encompasses supporter packages, country packages and mini-season tickets, which 'season tickets' does not

clubs also now sell - pet memberships, baby memberships etc etc

MEMBERSHIPS - is much better

supera

Juniors
i agree that the marketing should be gearing towards season tickets. NRL doesn't have a membership culture, and in reality you aren't a "member" at all - most members don't get a say in how their clubs are run, so they aren't really a member at all. they are season ticket holders. call a spade a spade, remove the ambiguity and stop the false advertising of faux memberships.

without the membership culture, i wonder how many people even realise that they become season ticket holders if they fork out for the membership. the current series is the daily tele is the first effort i've seen to educate the public (as opposed to the already-converted) as to what "membership" actually involves.

danmiles73

Juniors
Re: the Bronco's single ticket membership.

I don't think that this promotion has the other NRL teams in mind. I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the Reds are apparently approaching 30,000 members and the Broncos need to make sure that they close in on their own 20,000 member target.

I am not particularly bothered by the fact it is one game. The Broncos already sell one game below the border memberships for Victorian supporters and like other clubs have a range of "low game count" (eg 4) memberships or non-ticketed members. Fair game, really.

The big question is more, this: why aren't the other clubs selling one game memberships for their blockbusters? The major benefit of doing this is that you can build up a marketing database to work on for conversion into future season ticket holders. The outlay is quite small (a little bit of merchandise that is partially subsidised by an increased ticket price to a single game) but the potential future value of that data is enormous.

Good thinking, Broncos.

Last edited:

danmiles73

Juniors
i agree that the marketing should be gearing towards season tickets. NRL doesn't have a membership culture, and in reality you aren't a "member" at all - most members don't get a say in how their clubs are run, so they aren't really a member at all. they are season ticket holders. call a spade a spade, remove the ambiguity and stop the false advertising of faux memberships.

I disagree. I think the use of the word "member" is a great marketing tool. Whereas a "season ticket" is something that you passively hold to gain entry to a game, being a "member" implies a sense of belonging, of being part of something bigger etc. The subliminal effect, I believe goes a long way towards retaining "members". (Well, it works on me, anyway. :) )

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
"NRL doesn't have a membership culture"?

Neither did the AFL until they got serious about it. The whole point of the exercise is to create said culture.

Raiderdave

First Grade
i disagree

memberships - is a warmer term, and encompasses supporter packages, country packages and mini-season tickets, which 'season tickets' does not

yeah I agree
let the individual decide what level of support he wants to commit to
every game .. desired & this culture will build in time
or
half of the games

a 1/4 of games

or none .. just a fridge magnet & a bumper sticker for $30

but encourage all fans to do something for the club they proclaim to follow
its all good

Raiderdave

First Grade
Broncos Facebook stated that they have sold 3500 (derby deal) memberships today.

well its ova then for the heavy weights then

little dodgey
but the NRL said all memberships count

I spose other clubs are selling plenty of 3 gamers & these are part of their number
if you divided this single game membership number of ova 3500 by 3 ... its still 1200 & with other memberships they sign up

they still win.

firechild

First Grade

Thoughts

Disagree. Season tickets are out of reach of so many fans for a variety of reasons. Cost is a big one (especially when you're talking season tickets for a family). Inability to get to games is another. Consider the fact that not all teams play all home games in one place. For example last year Manly played a home game at Suncorp and this year it looks like one will be in Perth. Many fans don't live near the home ground (or grounds in some cases - St Merge/Wests). For me, Manly home games at Brookvale on Friday or Monday nights are out of the question so a 4 game ticket works for me. Trying to force everyone to buy season tickets and only season tickets is just silly.

40Twenty

Juniors
Disagree. Season tickets are out of reach of so many fans for a variety of reasons. Cost is a big one (especially when you're talking season tickets for a family). Inability to get to games is another. Consider the fact that not all teams play all home games in one place. For example last year Manly played a home game at Suncorp and this year it looks like one will be in Perth. Many fans don't live near the home ground (or grounds in some cases - St Merge/Wests). For me, Manly home games at Brookvale on Friday or Monday nights are out of the question so a 4 game ticket works for me. Trying to force everyone to buy season tickets and only season tickets is just silly.

No one forces Victorians to buy memberships !

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Membership Premiership numbers update as of this morning:

#InterCityShowdown:
@MelbStormRLC 314
@NZ_Warriors 307
@RaidersCanberra 269
@nthqldcowboys 260

#battleoftheheavyweights:
@NRLKnights 555
@SSFCRabbitohs 541
@NRL_Dragons 502
@brisbanebroncos 491

#battleofthewest:
@NRL_Bulldogs 313
@theparraeels 286
@wests_tigers 279
@panthersnrlclub 255

#battleofthebeaches:
@sydneyroosters 317
@manlyseaeagles 311
@Cronulla_Sharks 288
@GCtitans 245

www.nrl.com/membership

docbrown

Coach

I agree. I'd say though "Season Memberships" is probably the best of both worlds.