What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield proceeds

KiamaSaint

Coach
I am with you Fairfax, I couldn't believe it either when I heard it. I knew the Dragons gave to St George and Wollongong hospitals, I just assumed lol@$ouff$ would do the same. It's not right.

hunters

Juniors
Guess you missed the bit about supporting Ovarian Cancer?

Did you even bother doing the sums? No of course not. The bunny buddy memberships are valued at $60. So if 1/3 of the total sold (on last year's figures) comes from the Souths Cares charity, that amounts to $6,000. So what? Still can't work out what the issue is with taking disadvantages kids out for the day anyway.

And where did Saints $7.5M come from? There were only $21k people there. Assuming half the money collected was by Saints, the average donation was over $700. Pffff............

Talk about "appalling self-serving act of self-promotion".

KiamaSaint

Coach
Guess you missed the bit about supporting Ovarian Cancer?

Did you even bother doing the sums? No of course not. The bunny buddy memberships are valued at $60. So if 1/3 of the total sold (on last year's figures) comes from the Souths Cares charity, that amounts to $6,000. So what? Still can't work out what the issue is with taking disadvantages kids out for the day anyway.

And where did Saints $7.5M come from? There were only $21k people there. Assuming half the money collected was by Saints, the average donation was over $700. Pffff............

Talk about "appalling self-serving act of self-promotion".

Champ, I think the figure that was quoted was the amount donated overall since the inception of the Charity Shield, not what was raised tonight.

hunters

Juniors
Champ, I think the figure that was quoted was the amount donated overall since the inception of the Charity Shield, not what was raised tonight.
Fair enough, haven't watched the TV replay yet so haven't heard the quotes. I shouldn't have even brought the Saints into it. Regardless of whether they raise $10k or $10M, it is a worthwhile exercise and good work by them.

bartman

Immortal
So doing the maths, it says 300 junior rabbitohs memberships were donated last year by Souths Cares....

300 x $190 = $57,000 worth. Better than nothing, but as has been said that is internal transfer of money supporting internal goods and services, rather than a donation to any outside charities for their work.

I agree they should probably change the name of the match, or just call time on it?

danmiles73

Juniors
Just did a google to see what Souths Cares does. Reading this thread I thought they were nothing more than a ticket redistribution scheme.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/Souths-Cares/What-is-Souths-Cares.html

- Teacher Aide scheme
- Healthy and Active Lifestyle program
- Indigenous Leadership program
- Social Marketing campaigns for, inter alia: NSW Fire Brigade, NSW Police Association, Tackling Violence, Aboriginal Safe Gambling Program
- Charities and organisations Souths Cares has had involvement with throughout the 2010 season include: The Sydney Children’s Hospital, Australian Cancer Research Foundation, Lymphoma Australia, Ovarian Cancer Foundation, McGrath Foundation, The Loyal Foundation, The Australian Childrens Music Foundation, Australian Technology Park, Randwick City Council, All Sorts Fitness Centre, One Community, Indigenous All Stars, Sydney Corporate Park, Snuff Out Sniffing Cherbourg, NSW Corrective Services, Coffs Harbour City Council, Enterprise Training Company, Aboriginal Connections Employment, Country Energy, Close the Gap Campaign, Oxfam, Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Foundation, NAIDOC week 2010, The Grace Roberts Awards Coffs Harbour, Rotary NSW, National Centre of Indigenous Excellence, Redfern Community Centre, South Sydney PCYC to name a few.

Btw - I am not a Souths fan, but to write Souths Cares off seems a bit harsh. Furthermore, even if the focus is on the Bunny Buddies program, there is an economic value attached to tickets memberships that are distributed, so if those are given to people are a needy then the recipients still have benefited. I don't see the problem here.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All very valid points - but if the economic value serves to benefit the Rabbitohs themselves... then that's not exactly charitable is it?

I think Souths Cares performs some very important services but this particular project is fraught with problems IMO.

simmo64

Juniors
I tried to post an article from this sites news history about the dragons doing the exact same thing last night with their dragons kid club mambership but it got deleted for some reason. Go to more news headlines on the right of the page its on page 5

hunters

Juniors
All very valid points - but if the economic value serves to benefit the Rabbitohs themselves... then that's not exactly charitable is it?

I think Souths Cares performs some very important services but this particular project is fraught with problems IMO.
But just about every club's charitable arm puts money back into their junior comps. How is this any different? I would argue that it provides a much bigger benefit than having an extra 300 kids sitting in the grand stand.

KiamaSaint

Coach
But just about every club's charitable arm puts money back into their junior comps. How is this any different? I would argue that it provides a much bigger benefit than having an extra 300 kids sitting in the grand stand.

I guess like many I was under the impression the funding was going to local hospitals. It is not "disgusting" or "disgraceful", it just doesn't seem right.

hunters

Juniors
I guess like many I was under the impression the funding was going to local hospitals. It is not "disgusting" or "disgraceful", it just doesn't seem right.
And some of it will. As was also stated on the telecast last night, Souths were raising money for ovarian cancer research but some would like to paint the picture that we are spending it all on memberships!

grouch

First Grade
It's pretty bad and Souths need to be called on it.

Shades of Brian Waldron syphoning charity funds into players accounts, as revealed in the Storm scandal report. They really are bringing a Melbourne culture to Souths

haha

Juniors
Who cares, some people on LU get all worked up over little things.
I hope souths use the money to buy Dave Taylor a boat so he extends his contract.

Get a life f**kers.

hunters

Juniors
It's pretty bad and Souths need to be called on it.

Shades of Brian Waldron syphoning charity funds into players accounts, as revealed in the Storm scandal report. They really are bringing a Melbourne culture to Souths
That's one of the most rediculous things I've read on these boards.

They have to make the money back from all the free memberships they give to the homeless or the ones they write up to the deceased somehow.

148521-sam-burgess.jpg

Divets......divets.

Warren Smith said Saints have handed over $7.5m to Wollongong and St George Hospitals.

On the other hand, he said Souths are playing for Souths Cares, owned by Souths, which give Souths memberships, owned by them, to underprivileged kids. In essence, they're giving away free seats in an empty Stadium that they're being paid well to play at.

Surely that can't be right.

Can any Souths fans confirm or deny this? If that is the case it's scandalous, if it's not true Warren Smith should be ashamed of himself for saying things that aren't true...

Anyone?

I was seriously embarrassed for Souffs when I heard that..... How on earth can they call that a charity?

no name

Coach
Who gives a f**k where it goes, it's up to the people who donate the $ whether they donate or not.
If they agree with the cause, they donate, if they don't agree, they don't donate.
Pretty simple concept really.

grouch

First Grade
Who gives a f**k where it goes, it's up to the people who donate the $ whether they donate or not.
If they agree with the cause, they donate, if they don't agree, they don't donate.
Pretty simple concept really.
A concept that seems to have escapen your grasp. There are no donations. The proceeds are derived from ticket sales