What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

Tucantango

Juniors
Unfortunately I missed the Raiders v Dogs games today but I saw that the 18 Raiders got up and the 16s lost but were close. Sounds like a big turn around from last week, hope they keep it up.

I went to two games today, both SG Ball. STG v WA and Dogs v Raiders.

The mighty Saints are looking good. Tuima the Saints back rower once again performed well. This lad is so under-rated its not funny. He hits like a brick wall in defence. On the other hand it looks as if WA will have a long 7 weeks ahead of them. In saying that I was told today that WA will be getting that dynamite doggies hooker, Ben Johns. He was unlucky not make the doggies SGB team after a great HM season in 2011. Apparently WA were keen to have him and his inclusion next week might give them some go forward and organisiation in the centre of the ruck.

Well the Doggies and the Raiders was a one sided affair IMO. The Raiders just had too much go forward up the centre. The forward pack is quite sizeable and work well as a unit. After watching the Raiders today I am somewhat perplexed at their result against Manly last week.

The Doggies on the other hand did not do themselves any favours. For a start their back-rowers (for the second week in a row) were left severely wanting, and fitness does seem to be a very serious issue here. They left their outside backs exposed all day. The Raiders 'Afro' centre scored a spectacular ariel try, and their zippy half-back kept the Doggies guessing all day.

The Doggies seem to have the players (i.e. forwards who can do the job) but they were all sitting on the side-lines today. Would be interesting to know if there are injury woes at the Doggies where the SGB team is concerned!

Regards,
Tuc

Dragons61

Juniors
Mattys Cup WSAS 13 - 6 over Cronulla. Cronulla led early and were on track to post their first victory with a pretty good first half. WSAS played some good footy and were helped by Cronulla conceding stupid penalties - again.

After some very impresive trial form Cronulla have been very disappointing with the balance of the team not right - there will have to be major changes in team selection before their next game if they want to get a much needed win - just a quick word on refs - does anyone know where they get them from - are the local refs given the opportunity to ref their areas home games? - both games I've seen the refs have given the home team a leg up at vital times - good teams can overcome this but Cronulla are struggling - thought they would have a very good year but it's looking doubtful that they will make the semis.

drago brelli

Bench
Watched Illawarra play Souths in Matts and Ball. Souths have a very impressive Matts team. They have no weaknesses and are well coached. Illawarra are enthusiastic but a bit small in both comps. The massive pacific islander boys simply steam roll the anglo boys and in the end size prevails.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Watched Illawarra play Souths in Matts and The massive pacific islander boys simply steam roll the anglo boys and in the end size prevails.

yeah agree

you pick the biggest team thats available to you right across the park .. & work on their skills .. they obviously have some otherwise they wouldn't have made the train on squad
maybe the exception is the halves n dummy half.. you need brains there first n foremost.
the raiders let some big outside backs go in the matts .. in favour of smaller ones & so far its been to their detriment

size is everything at this level ........

dragondad

First Grade
Mattys Cup WSAS 13 - 6 over Cronulla. Cronulla led early and were on track to post their first victory with a pretty good first half. WSAS played some good footy and were helped by Cronulla conceding stupid penalties - again.

After some very impresive trial form Cronulla have been very disappointing with the balance of the team not right - there will have to be major changes in team selection before their next game if they want to get a much needed win - just a quick word on refs - does anyone know where they get them from - are the local refs given the opportunity to ref their areas home games? - both games I've seen the refs have given the home team a leg up at vital times - good teams can overcome this but Cronulla are struggling - thought they would have a very good year but it's looking doubtful that they will make the semis.

The referee squad in junior reps are referees who make the step up from district. The squad of 54 comprises of referees from everywhere in Sydney and also ranges to Canberra and Newcastle. You have to be invited to train for the squad from October when pre season begins. Referees can be sent anywhere, for example the referee from WSAS v Cronulla was from the Central Coast. After the season referees go back to district but usually about 4 or so get graded to the resets grade squad (NSW Cup, BRC, Toyota)

Don't ask me how I know this... Haha

gronkathon

First Grade
Balmain Matts cleaned up the Roosters 60 - 0 in an impressive display

Balmain SG Ball were down 16 - 0 after about 25 minutes but clicked into gear (later than you would want for the second week in a row) to win 44 - 16

Raiderdave

First Grade

firstly on the sharks matts side .... WTF ?
where has that trial form gone guys

they were as impressive as in December
but haven't come back from Chrissie Hols by the look of it :eek:

secondly
the referees come from a squad developed by the NSWRL .. they come from all ova Sydney ... the central coast ... Newcastle ... Wollongong & Canberra
they are supposed to be the elite from the districts ID'd as talented & earmarked for a future in the NRL one day

games can be officiated by referees from anywhere of the above places

Raiderdave

First Grade
The referee squad in junior reps are referees who make the step up from district. The squad of 54 comprises of referees from everywhere in Sydney and also ranges to Canberra and Newcastle. You have to be invited to train for the squad from October when pre season begins. Referees can be sent anywhere, for example the referee from WSAS v Cronulla was from the Central Coast. After the season referees go back to district but usually about 4 or so get graded to the resets grade squad (NSW Cup, BRC, Toyota)

Don't ask me how I know this... Haha

just posted exactly the same :lol::lol::lol:

dragondad

First Grade
Obviously I don't want to give myself away. I use this account when my dad created it years ago.

KAB

Juniors
Norths 4 Vs Coast 26 in Matts and Coast won in the Ball yesterday. Coast have not had double for some years and its great to see. Matt's game from all reports was scrappy.
The coast boys have had another emotional week with the funeral of their close mate. The work off the field with those at CRL and Central Coast Centurion staff has been outstanding, giving these young men help with their grief. I hope it continues next week, but there up against the Tigers after they smacked the Roosters 60 blot.

girvie

Staff member
Norths 4 Vs Coast 26 in Matts and Coast won in the Ball yesterday. Coast have not had double for some years and its great to see. Matt's game from all reports was scrappy.
The coast boys have had another emotional week with the funeral of their close mate. The work off the field with those at CRL and Central Coast Centurion staff has been outstanding, giving these young men help with their grief. I hope it continues next week, but there up against the Tigers after they smacked the Roosters 60 blot.

I was at these games as well and it looks like they will have a good year.

It helps when they can retain the majority of their best players, in particular the Saifiti's, Bogle and Tarchichi who are backing up from last year.

SG Ball has seen Nakhoul, Hennessey, Whitlam and Walsh return to the Coast and quality players have stayed like Riley, Lewis, Keighran, Geoffrey and Allmon.

KAB

Juniors
When you have to compete with NRL clubs, it great to see. I have to be honest I really can not wait until they play a particular club. It will be a very intense match. Those Ball players have returned because of one reason or another. Some left for promises. There back and the feel good around their mates, and all play for their mates. It amazing with the work of individuals at the club and stability. The boys will stay on the coast and not travel afar.

mal12

Juniors
It always comes down to coast players going elsewhere. The result of a game isnt what its about, please look at the bigger picture

Perth Red

Post Whore
I went to two games today, both SG Ball. STG v WA and Dogs v Raiders.

Mate what was the DragonsvReds score? We did ok against the Bears last weekend, shame to hear not so good this week.

ps anywhere know where to find the scores?

KAB

Juniors
It always comes down to coast players going elsewhere. The result of a game isnt what its about, please look at the bigger picture

Believe me, I know some clubs believe the result are what its about. 'Grivie' was making a point about players staying in their areas. I see the big picture its great to see local juniors playing rep footy.
I wish them all the best. Its ashame we put kids and families in cars or on trains at 14, 15 or 16. travel 2.5hrs each way then ask them to go to school the next day. Look at that way. I wish them all the best.

Latest posts