What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

Scorcher

Juniors
Mate you can get live score updates on the NSW Rugby League website, go to the Junior Rep Preveiw for the round, click on this and it will take to the Junior Rep game cast where they will cover 1 of the games and provide updates for the rest.

Go the Mighty Tigers.

mal12

Juniors
Believe me, I know some clubs believe the result are what its about. 'Grivie' was making a point about players staying in their areas. I see the big picture its great to see local juniors playing rep footy.
I wish them all the best. Its ashame we put kids and families in cars or on trains at 14, 15 or 16. travel 2.5hrs each way then ask them to go to school the next day. Look at that way. I wish them all the best.

Things are starting to fall into place but it has taken forever.The pathway is still missing and until we gain an nrl side you are always going to have kids playing elsewhere, and im sure there is alot of young sports stars from other sports that do much more travelling than these kids

Twoblu

Juniors
Watched Illawarra play Souths in Matts and Ball. Souths have a very impressive Matts team. They have no weaknesses and are well coached. Illawarra are enthusiastic but a bit small in both comps. The massive pacific islander boys simply steam roll the anglo boys and in the end size prevails.

Wow Drago....The Steelers side must be small....Saw Souths in Rd 1 and Wests were much bigger .........The Bunnies team has six 15 yr olds in the starting line up

Raiderdave

First Grade
Wow Drago....The Steelers side must be small....Saw Souths in Rd 1 and Wests were much bigger .........The Bunnies team has six 15 yr olds in the starting line up

Wests have a lot of tall boys .. ova 6ft

& a lot of sides have 15 year olds in their starting line up
anyone who turns 16 after April this year .. technically is a 15 year old in all starting line ups

Twoblu

Juniors
Wests have a lot of tall boys .. ova 6ft

& a lot of sides have 15 year olds in their starting line up
anyone who turns 16 after April this year .. technically is a 15 year old in all starting line ups

I'm talking about boys that will be eligible to play under 15s in the SSDJRL comp in 2012. Therefore eligible for Matts again next yr

KAB

Juniors
Things are starting to fall into place but it has taken forever.The pathway is still missing and until we gain an nrl side you are always going to have kids playing elsewhere, and im sure there is alot of young sports stars from other sports that do much more travelling than these kids

It doesnt matter if they have a NRL club or not. If they are playing rep footy either at Matts or SG ball or even schoolboy reps they have a pathway. Honestly do you think the boys at the SWAS, Western Academy or the Coast dont have a pathway. Believe me they do, and we have to remember that only a small precentage go on to play NRL, from these all these teams.
:)

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'm talking about boys that will be eligible to play under 15s in the SSDJRL comp in 2012. Therefore eligible for Matts again next yr

so they're 14 year olds atm ...or have just turned 15... but who have their 15th birthday this year .. so will be 15 at dec 31st this year & eligible for another year of matts next year

the way you wrote it said they're were 15 year olds in the Souths squad

a heck of a lot of matts players don't turn 16 til after the reps season finishes .. is what i meant.

Last edited:

Twoblu

Juniors
so they're 14 year olds atm ...or have just turned 15... but who have their 15th birthday this year .. so will be 15 at dec 31st this year & eligible for another year of matts next year

the way you wrote it said they're were 15 year olds in the Souths squad

a heck of a lot of matts players don't turn 16 til after the reps season finishes .. is what i meant.

Correct

and given this...I think whilst they are getting good results they are probably overachieving ...see how they go against your raiders on Sat...Give a game report if you are going

Raiderdave

First Grade
Correct

and given this...I think whilst they are getting good results they are probably overachieving ...see how they go against your raiders on Sat...Give a game report if you are going

will be up in Syd on the weekend

I'll be surprised if our boys will trouble the bunnies in the Matts
some issues not easily resolved in our side I fear

I think they have their strongest halves pairing of Croker & Hickson in this week so thats a positive
but it won't be enough ... I'll be happy to be wrong.

Rocket

Juniors
Correct

I'm going so will give a run down. Also noticed the game is at West Belconnen now instead of Seiffert. 5 minutes drive instead of 40 minutes for me!

gronkathon

First Grade
Another scrappy performance by Centurions Harold Matts side today. They have a knack of being able to spoil opposition rythyms though.

They went down to the Tigers 12 - 8 but only on two bum conversions

KAB

Juniors
Another scrappy performance by Centurions Harold Matts side today. They have a knack of being able to spoil opposition rythyms though.

They went down to the Tigers 12 - 8 but only on two bum conversions

Geez, you are right how good is this comp. I have never seen a bunch of boys give it their all today. Two major injuries in the first half, both where forwards. They played with a 2 man bench, 40mins.

I cannot wait till next week Coast taking on the dogs, both are off a losses. This should be interesting veiwing.

gronkathon

First Grade
Defensively the Centurions have something special no doubt.

Their attack needs work agains the better sides they will meet at some point but they do have alot of heart like you said.

Rocket

Juniors
Two good games in Canberra today with the locals up against the Bunnies. The Raider's Matts side lost (30-20) but the Ball side held on for a close win (22-16). The both South's sides were noticeably bigger compared to the Raiders.

In the Matts the Raiders scored first but the Bunnies had a lot of speed from the play the ball and were making good yards. When the Raiders got close to the Souths try line they managed to cross, but it was hard work getting there and they couldn't seem to complete many sets. It was 16-10 at half time and although it went try for try to start with, the Bunnies had enough in attack to come away with the win.

The SG Ball was a ripper match and a real arm wrestle with a lot of niggle. Souths scored first and alternating tries saw them up 12-10 at half time. A try a piece had them locked at 16 all with 15 mins to go. Plenty of end to end play and solid line defence with half back Anthony Milford from the Raiders really on song with his kicking game.

Then Milford scores the game breaker from one of the best kicks and chases you'll see (worth trying to find it on video highlights). He converts his try and the Raiders are up 22-16. Milford continues with some perfectly weighted kicks into the Bunnies in-goal to keep them on the back foot. But Souths manage to get down to the Raider's try line and some desperate defence keeps them out until full time.

I haven't seen him play before, but Anthony Milford looks special. He really came alive in the second half and was a real game breaker who was always looking for work. So with wins over the Dogs and the Bunnies the Raider's SG Ball team is on a roll.

Tucantango

Juniors
Again I attended two games, as they both out at St Mary's. The first was Panthers v. Dragons and the other WSAS v. Bulldogs.

Matts
I was really looking forward to the first contest as I have been very impressed with the Dragons Matts team to date, and I was expecting them to give the might of the Panthers a shake up! They did given the score board however the Panthers took the points and IMO they have to be hot favourites now to take out the title (I say this as Parra do not seem to have the powerhouse team like two years ago). I am however hoping the Dragons lads might take a lesson from this loss and improve. After all it was only 2 tries to 1.

With respect to the WSAS v. Doggies game, some might say that this was an upset (but maybe not). This is the second week in a row where the Doggies were severely lacking direction and leadership in the middle of the park, and WSAS seized upon it! Pre-season had the Doggies up there as one of the favourites but they are not the team they had like last year! But for the African winger, Agyemang, the Doggies would have faltered by a larger margin. In fact he saved the Doggies last week with his go forward against the Raiders. For mine the Doggies are out of contention for the title unless their current issue with the halves; they can't keep going to their hooker Alouche (the Australian rep)! The Doggies prop with the corn rolls went well too. Nevertheless full credit to the WSAS boys. They looked dangerous every time they got the ball out to the their backs through the good work of their halves combination. In addition the WSAS front rowers were near unstoppable all afternoon.

SG Ball
Talk about a near cliff-hanger upset! The Dragons almost had the Panthers until the last 10 minutes or so of the game! I would never have dreamed that the Dragons would have led by two points this far into the game. Up until this game I honestly thought the Panther's massive juggernaut pack was going to roll over all that confronted them. A credit to the Dragons for sticking it to them. I had totally written off the Dragons this year and its looks as if I may to eat my words! As they say never turn on your own ... lol!

As with the WSAS v. Bulldogs this was a game that was littered with mistakes from both sides. And don't get me started on the poor refereeing display. If the ref had of taken of his pink shirt I am sure he would have been wearing the #18 SWAS jersey ... LMAO! Anyway SWAS looked great in the first half and an upset was on the cards. But for the hard hitting defence of the Doggies (especially that freak Demetriou) SWAS may have won! The Bulldogs have however changed their line up significantly and it seems to have worked. There was notable improvements in the defence of the back-rowers (why weren't these boys playing for the last two weeks??), and the outside backs finally got some decent ball! The game was another cliff hanger right up until full-time. Unlucky to WSAS!

Regards,
Tuc

richies

Juniors
thanks Tucantango
did you notice if Guston Jasmin played? for the dogs sg ball
his had alot of injuries overr the years but is a quality player, if he can stay on the field I think he had a groin injury the last 2weeks he was missing

Tucantango

Juniors
... ... I haven't seen him play before, but Anthony Milford looks special. He really came alive in the second half and was a real game breaker who was always looking for work. So with wins over the Dogs and the Bunnies the Raider's SG Ball team is on a roll.

Can anyone give me any background into Anthony (Tony) Milford? I know he is of Samoan origin and hails from QLD. He has also represented QLD at all levels and will probably be a certain selection in the QLD U/18's this year as well.

Essentially I am wondering if anyone knows if he is related to the two Samoan brothers, Asa and Lua Milford, that played for the Balmain (now West) Tigers in the mid-90's? These two were lightning quick as well! Might be another chip off the old block!

Regards,
Tuc

PS:: Richies, Guston did play and was one of the reasons why the centres and wingers got some good ball from which they were able to score!

Latest posts