What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta confident their no-name outside backs can get them over the line

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta confident their no-name outside backs can get them over the line in NRL clash against Brisbane Broncos

421190-cheyse-blair.jpg

Cheyse Blair makes a tackle on Blake Ayshford during an NRL trial at Gosford. Source: The Daily Telegraph

BETWEEN them they have played only 51 NRL games, but Parramatta believe their unknown outside backs can get the job done against the Broncos on Friday night.

Brisbane are still braced for the late inclusion of Test stars Jarryd Hayne and Willie Tonga, but the official line from the Eels camp is that injuries have forced the club to name virtually untried wingers and centres.
Wingers Cheyse Blair (yet to play NRL) and Ken Sio (one game) are virtually unknown outside their own homes, while centres Esi Tonga (36 games) and Ryan Morgan (14) are hardly established players.
Esi is the younger brother of Willie Tonga, his off-season beset by drama after he went missing from the Queensland State of Origin Emerging Squad camp in Brisbane.

A date has yet to be set for Tonga to front a QRL tribunal to show cause why he should not be disqualified from Origin consideration for two years.
Morgan and Sio are Parramatta juniors, with Sio making his NRL debut in a final round match against Gold Coast Titans last year when he scored a try in the Eels' 36-12 win. Murwillumbah-born Blair is a Titans junior, having graduated from the Bilambil Jets.
Former Titans winger Jordan Atkins will play for Eels affiliate Wentworthville, even though his 40 NRL games make him seem like a veteran alongside Blair and Sio.

Parramatta's NSW Origin prop Tim Mannah is battling a knee injury but is determined to play against Brisbane, while former Test utility Reni Maitua has made himself available after missing the trials with an ankle injury.
"There's a bunch of us injured boys who are 50-50 in terms of of getting ourselves right," Mannah said yesterday. "It's a pretty big group of us, but we'll see how we go and who plays on Friday."
Broncos coach Anthony Griffin said he expected Hayne (knee) and Tonga (hamstring) to take the field.
"We're preparing as if they will play," Griffin said. "We have heard Hayne is very close."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frep5x-1226284421949

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I would have liked to see Sio get a few more games under his belt last year. I would have played him rather than Etu.
I reckon he will go ok. Blair is no mug either - Australian schoolboy. They'll be right.

natheel

Coach
Dunno bout tonga but I reckon hayne will be a late inclusion

But I hope not in a way coz I'd like to see how Blair goes

I would have liked to see Sio get a few more games under his belt last year. I would have played him rather than Etu.
I reckon he will go ok. Blair is no mug either - Australian schoolboy. They'll be right.

Wow this post makes me believe that you actually support the team. :shock:

think it will depend on the weather, if it's wet and slippery i don't Hayne or Tonga will be late inclusions but if it's dry i would not be surprised to see Hayne start.

SDM

First Grade
Not really, seems full of sarcasm to me. Also, he failed to realise that Sio was not considered earlier last season due to injury, not due to Etu's awesomeness.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Problem with young players is that they often make mistakes or bad defensive reads.

Realistically, if we defend well, the Broncos are going to score 2-3 tries simply because of inexperience in our outside backs.

Not a huge deal as long as we score some points (new halves for that purpose surely?) **and also actually defend well.

Pazza

First Grade
I hate to say it but I would rather lose round one than lose Hayne, tonga, mannah or Maitua for an extended period due to injury.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Not really, seems full of sarcasm to me. Also, he failed to realise that Sio was not considered earlier last season due to injury, not due to Etu's awesomeness.

Sorry, my memory is bad. I didn't realize Sio was out for so long last year.
Do you remember when he resumed from injury?

Eels Dude

Coach
Problem with young players is that they often make mistakes or bad defensive reads.

Realistically, if we defend well, the Broncos are going to score 2-3 tries simply because of inexperience in our outside backs.

Not a huge deal as long as we score some points (new halves for that purpose surely?) **and also actually defend well.

They'll target Esi and Sio all night you'd think. There's a lot of potential for points down that side.

half

Coach
inexperience in top grade doesn't make a player a shit defender

one of these kids could be the next daniel wagon