What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Rookie Watch

Big Pete

Referee
The season is nearly upon us and what would the NRL board be without another rookie thread?

Just so everybody's clear, players qualify as a rookie if it is their debut season or they played three games or less in the preceding season.

The following list of rookies are poised to play this week:

Alex McKinnon (Newcastle Knights)
Jack De Belin (St. George Illwarra Dragons)
Ken Sio (Parramatta Eels)
Cheyse Blair (Parramatta Eels)
Konrad Hurrell (Warriors)
Ben Henry (Warriors)
James Tedesco (West Tigers)
Adam Reynolds (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

The following have been named on extended benches and might play.

Blake Austin (Penrith Panthers)
Jorge Taufua (Manly Sea Eagles)
Necrom Areaiiti (South Sydney Rabbitohs)

Do any of you have any opinions on those listed? If so don't be shy to share it with us and please inform of us on any late inclusions.

Let's get this show on the road, not long now. :)

Last edited:

petetheileet

First Grade
De Belin could be anything, really looks the goods.

Look out for when Cameron King gets his chance also, the kid won us the world club challenge in his first senior game. He was on the cusp and then tore his pec. The kid has so much talent and will be very hungry!!

MacDougall

First Grade
I think it's a three horse race between Tedesco, Hurrell and Reynolds simply because those are the three most likely to play the most minutes and get the most attention.

Panfas

Juniors
IMO the big challengers for Rookie of the year are (in no particular order)

Konrad Hurrell (Warriors)
Ben Henry (Warriors)
James Tedesco (West Tigers)
Adam Reynolds (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Blake Austin (Penrith Panthers)

Geohood

Bench
Moga might still play week 1 but should definately play week 2 if he Smith dosen't want to risk him yet.

roofromoz

First Grade
With Austin, his chances depends primarily on what position Cleary wants him to play (could be centre, 5/8th or lock), but also whether he also plays enough minutes. I think most of his games this year (to start off with anyway) will be off the bench.

Eels Dude

Coach
I doubt minutes will have anything to do with it. Rookie of the year isn't decided Dally M points. It's hard to predict who will actually win, there'll be plenty of other players making their first grade debuts this year and sometimes there's just a surprise packet.

RWB

Bench
De Belin looked very good tonight, certainly wasn't off the pace. Apart from the early penalty all his contributions were quality.

An impressive performance for a debutant forward.

BDR

First Grade
I think Taumalolo is ineligible because he played a game in 2010 as well (he was only 17 at the time). If he was eligible he would be my pick for sure

aqua_duck

Coach
I think McKinnon will give it a real crack, Taia is struggling for match fitness and could very well make way for McKinnon if he continues to struggle. also watch out for the 3rd Sims brother, Korbin later on in the year, Bennett was really impressed with him innthe preseason and he had his way with the Saints pack in NYC last night.
Just on DeBelin, I'm a fan but how he got NYC player of the year last year ahead of Taumalolo and Hurrell is beyond me

RWB

Bench
He was Toyota Cup player of the year last year...has anyone gone on from that award to win ROY the next year yet?

Sims would've gone close had he not been injured.

I think Hunt and Henry were the others, so no.

RWB

Bench
I think McKinnon will give it a real crack, Taia is struggling for match fitness and could very well make way for McKinnon if he continues to struggle. also watch out for the 3rd Sims brother, Korbin later on in the year, Bennett was really impressed with him innthe preseason and he had his way with the Saints pack in NYC last night.
Just on DeBelin, I'm a fan but how he got NYC player of the year last year ahead of Taumalolo and Hurrell is beyond me

Surely Edwards would start ahead of Mckinnon. He was great again last night.

Latest posts