What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Hughes - When do we drop him?

When do we drop Phil Hughes from the test side

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Saab

Referee
Some, who would criticise this bloke if he stopped to help an old lady cross a street, are knocking him for this.

Even if he did great and scored a bunch of runs in big bash, it wouldn't mean anything. He averages 38 in T20. Anyone with good hand eye coordination (which Hughes certainly has) can succeed at T20.

What would be the point of him delibretley edging over the slips and reverse sweeping his way to a 30 ball 50.

Scoring runs in grade cricket at this point would be more beneficial than scoring in big bash.

He should have a clear mind and devote all his training time to training for the longer form of the game, he should focus on this upcoming tour match, grade cricket, shield cricket and county cricket. And that's precisely what he's doing.

He has all the talent in the world, and he's shown he has the intelligence to make the right decisions for his career off the field. He will play a lot of tests and score a lot of runs for this country.

He has three 100s.....he wont even get to 4. IF he plays another test he will be lucky.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He has three 100s.....he wont even get to 4. IF he plays another test he will be lucky.
He'll score closer to 33 than 3 before it's all said and done.

There is such a lack of talent at the top right now when he fixes his issues he'll be a permanent member of the team.

That's the problem with the modern day. No fool can look past today.

Almost every single great batsman of the last 25 years has been dropped for poor form or technique issues. Many of them more than once.

If he was 32 you would have a point. He is 22, the vast majority of players aren't even in the conversation for tests at 22, let alone already have 1000+ test runs.

In fact, with Marsh being out if Hughes was to score a 100 in the tour match against the Indians, I reckon he'd play on Boxing day ahead of Khawaja.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
That's the problem with the modern day. No fool can look past today.
Then it would be fair to say you've never had a tommorow.

Almost every single great batsman of the last 25 years has been dropped for poor form or technique issues. Many of them more than once.
Why do you fall in love with every person that comes out of The Nambucca Shire? First GI and now Phil. There are also a lot of batsmen who were dropped from the team never to be seen again.

In fact, with Marsh being out if Hughes was to score a 100 in the tour match against the Indians, I reckon he'd play on Boxing day ahead of Khawaja.
He's got this. Or to be more accurate - Phillip Hughes to play grade cricket for the rest of the summer.

Timbo

Staff member
Middlesex will have Strauss for quite a bit of the season along with Finn and there's also Chris Rogers.

Surrey have some reasonable players too that could keep them up. Surely Ramprakash will struggle in division 1, where he hasn't played in a while, plus he's 43 next year.

I think Middlesex will go alright, Surrey however could struggle.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. My money is on Worcs and Surrey to go down.

I just hope Worcs prove me wrong. I really liked my time there.

African Monkey

First Grade
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. My money is on Worcs and Surrey to go down.

I just hope Worcs prove me wrong. I really liked my time there.
Yeah fair enough mate. I did like them too when Shakib was there.

Funnier things have happened though, such as Lancasire winning it with their batting lineup they had last season.

Timbo

Staff member
Stranger things have happened indeed.

Notts will be strongly weakened by national call ups, they could be a smokey to go down. Sussex are also capable of running anywhere from first to last.

African Monkey

First Grade
They did ok last season did Sussex. Joyce and nash did the job at the top and Monty came back to some form. They also had Yardy (after his depression) and Goodwin occupying the middle order well. I think they'll come mid-table.

Hales came to prominence for Notts last year, plus they still have Adams carving up. They also get good batting imports as well (Darren Bravo, Amla, David Hussey etc. over the years). Can't see them going down but as we've said, funnier things have happened. I didn't think Yorkshire would go down either.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hughes top scored for NSW with a very good 70 odd against QLD in the current Sheffield Shield game.

He's back to scoring runs. He has to be on the trip to the Windies. If we're going to treat Warner as harshly, he's been crap in the ODI's. Time to bring Hughes back.

There was an article in one of the papers today about a lot of the young NSW players possibly changing states next year, and it had Hughes linked to Victoria.

Let's hope whoever wrote that article is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

lockyno1

Post Whore
There was an article in one of the papers today about a lot of the young NSW players possibly changing states next year, and it had Hughes linked to Victoria.

Let's hope whoever wrote that article is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

At State level he is damn good, I'd be happy if I were Victorian! He will belt hundreds, Rogers surely is on his last legs.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-16/hughes-intent-on-regaining-test-spot/4015394?section=sport

Hughes intent on regaining Test spot..

Updated May 16, 2012 17:03:56

371788-3x2-340x227.jpg

PHOTO: Searching for runs ... Phil Hughes. (file photo) (Ross Setford: AAP Images/NZPA)

Dumped Australia opener Phillip Hughes says he is hopeful his stint in English County cricket will pave the way for his return to the Test XI.

Hughes has not played in the five-day arena since Australia's seven-run run loss to New Zealand in the second and final Test of their series in Hobart last December.

He and Usman Khawaja were notable omissions when Cricket Australia (CA) announced the Australia A squad to tour England in July and August.

The tour is designed to give Australia's up-and-coming players more exposure to first-class cricket ahead of the 2013 Ashes series in England.

Hughes instead will play for Worcestershire and Khawaja will ply his trade with Derbyshire.

The 23-year-old Hughes is keen to use his time in the various formats of County cricket to play himself into the type of form that will catch the eye of the Australian selection panel.

"I'm looking forward to getting to England and to play for Worcester and to play three forms of the game," he said.

"I think I can go out there and just enjoy myself and hopefully get as many runs as possible for Worcester."

Hughes, who averages 34.58 from his 17 Tests, has been training at CA's Centre of Excellence in Brisbane and has appreciated the opportunity to face some of Australia's battery of fast bowlers.

"To face the likes of Mitch Johnson and Patty Cummins out in the middle bowling full tilt at you, it's been a big challenge and it's been great training with those guys for a few days out here," he said.

Hughes leaves for England next Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts