What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams Is Still Available

TheRam

Coach
TONY WILLIAMS has spoken of his desire to finish his career at Manly, declaring: ''I know the boys here and I've made a home.''
The Sea Eagles forward was at his destructive best on Friday night against Wests Tigers, constantly terrorising the defence and barging over for a try at Gosford as the defending premiers made it two from two.
Williams re-signed with Manly for two years after the club's grand final win, but he has a get-out clause in his contract which he can activate because of the departure of Des Hasler to the Bulldogs.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Manly officials are desperate to retain him but will struggle to keep all of their stars given that Keiran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans and Brett Stewart are also in need of extensions or upgrades.
''I've said to many people that I hope that Manly can keep me longer,'' Williams said yesterday.
''Fingers crossed they can do something because I want to stay as long as I can.
''If I have to go, then I have to … I want to stay as long as I can, I wouldn't want to lose the boys.''
Williams, awarded an Australian jersey last year, said his next ambition was to represent NSW. ''I've grown up watching Origin and have always been a big fan,'' Williams said.
''Hopefully I'll get a chance to play. I just need to keep up the good form and get chosen. It would be a dream come true.
''Making [the Australian side] is something that came out of nowhere. I didn't think I would ever play for Australia.
''Origin is up there as well - that would be something special for me and my family.''
The man dubbed T-Rex - he is 192 centimetres and 118 kilograms - is almost unstoppable in full flight, as Robbie Farah will attest after Friday night.
The Tigers hooker was trampled when desperately attempting to bring down the Cabramatta junior close to the line.
''I guess I've got an advantage,'' Williams told The Sun-Herald. ''I'm a bit bigger and have a few more kilos on me. I just had to get over there for the boys.
''It was unlucky Farah was there but I respect Farah a lot.''
Williams suffered a high hamstring strain and it required ice after the match.
However, he declared himself a certain starter for next Monday's important clash with Cronulla at Toyota Stadium.
''It's not too serious, it's not a tear or anything,'' he said.
Manly, who have been installed as the new premiership favourites, have a difficult start to the season given they will not play at Brookvale Oval until round six of the season.
''Our overall goal is to win those games away and then when we come back to 'Brookie' we'll try to keep up that undefeated run at home,'' Williams said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ay-at-manly-20120310-1ur30.html#ixzz1okYRa0Gy

F**k me!!! This is great news if true. I would gladly get rid of 3 or 4 players who are absolutely useless from our squad, God knows we have truck loads of them, to get this guy back to us.

He is worth every cent we can throw at him. Come on Kearney make him an offer he can not refuse. :pray:

Gronk

Staff member
He's a Kangaroo so he won't come cheap. I'd throw all of Hindy's contract money at Stewart, but not sure about Williams. f**k how can they afford TRex, Watmough and Stewart ?

Funny thing is we had him in the start. Let's hope our player retention is a little bit better now than it was under previous coaches.

yy_cheng

Coach
he has a contract and he's worried about getting shafted. I am assuming the get out is in his favour.

yy_cheng

Coach
we don't need edge backrowers. becoz of his knees, hayne would make a great edge forward. better than sbw

TheRam

Coach
He's a Kangaroo so he won't come cheap. I'd throw all of Hindy's contract money at Stewart, but not sure about Williams. f**k how can they afford TRex, Watmough and Stewart ?

Are you kidding? I'd throw any three or four of these average to useless salary cap eaters on the fire for him in a heart beat.

Justin Horo, Ben Smith, Taniela Lasalo, Casey Maguire, Ryan Morgan, Jake Mullaney, Joseph Paulo, Shane Shackleton, Taulima Tautai, Jordan Atkins and Esi Tonga.

And I am sure there are others if I went through our roster. This guy is a must if we want to have a real power pack of forwards. At the moment we are just a solid hard working one with no game breakers in it other then Fui, and fui is getting on, so who the hell are we going to replace him with when he goes?

I know that some of these players are still on contract, but it shows how much dead wood we are still carrying in our squad. I would move heaven and earth to find the space to buy him. There is no excuse for a club like Parra to be carrying so many average players. I mean look at the successful club rosters, they piss on ours by a mile.

TheRam

Coach
That is where a real good negotiator/coach comes in and shows him so much love and respect and obviously the money, that the offer becomes way to good to refuse.

tresurehunt

Juniors
he says nothing about coming back to parra ,why would he want to come back . he has represented and won a grand final for moanly...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Didn't we have the chance to sign him late last year before he became a Kangaroo???? So why would we chase him now that he would be worth nearly twice as much???? Shame as he is exactly what this team is missing.

Stagger eel

Staff member
That is where a real good negotiator/coach comes in and shows him so much love and respect and obviously the money, that the offer becomes way to good to refuse.

We have that now all we need to do is convince them to make a play for him..

born an eel

Bench
We had the chance to keep him and didn't. He seems like he will stay at Moanly for less money if he has to.
if he was so keen to stay at manly for less money he would just honour the contract he already has with them. He is expecting to get better offers and will use the get out clause to leave if he an offer he can't refuse.

TheRam

Coach
if he was so keen to stay at manly for less money he would just honour the contract he already has with them. He is expecting to get better offers and will use the get out clause to leave if he an offer he can't refuse.

Thank you for using your brain mate, some people here have no idea.

TheRam

Coach
Also to think that we would not be a very attractive option for him, since he grew up here and played with his mates here, is also ridiculous thinking.

hybrideel

Bench
It does seem as though reading between the lines he is telling Manly to front up with the cash or he is gone. He may want to stay there but obviously values himself higher that his current contract says and he wants a piece of the pie that Manly are supposedly preparing for their halves by getting rid of the Stewart brothers. He has to be prepared to leave if they call his bluff though.
Didn't someone on here say that he knows Tony or his family well and he wanted to come back before the last contract but we weren't interested or had no money left or something?