What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

billy2

Juniors
Tevita Pangai has been terrible in the games I've seen so far.
Wants to beat the whole team every carry, and just gets mobbed and drops the ball.

He is the biggest, strongest, most athletic guy on the field, but all he does is turn over possession.

girvie

Staff member
Tevita Pangai has been terrible in the games I've seen so far.
Wants to beat the whole team every carry, and just gets mobbed and drops the ball.

He is the biggest, strongest, most athletic guy on the field, but all he does is turn over possession.
There are plenty of great backrowers in Harold Matts this year so it sounds like he will need to get his game in order if he wants to make this side.

magpie4ever

First Grade
From the games that I have seen after 4 rounds. Matautia (New) definite. Jenning Definate. Godfred - After yesterdays display and others I have see of him, he has alot of mistakes in him. Tevita yep I dont know about Ali Allouche, His opposite yesterday was outstanding and has been very contistant and is just talented and derserving - Jacob Liddles. Dufty exciting half from dragons very quick. The Safiti twins from the Coast. But as others have aluded to CRL players will be a token a player.
Time will tell.

Yeah, to be honest it would not be an easy job for selectors, as there is some great talent in the harold matts games i've seen and the hightlights on the nswrl web site. Given the fact I know some of the boys and their families I will not push any names forward. Feel that some country kids not playing in the harold matts comp might not get sighted.

How do they finally select the side/squad? Is there a country v city match or possibles v probables match before the final squad is selected to play Qld?

ranga

Juniors
Under 18s possible side

1. Clinton Gutherson - Manly
2. Alex Johnston - Souths
3. Tyrone Phillips - Souths
4. Alan Nuilesa - Canterbury
5. Richard Kennar - Melbourne
6. Mitchell Moses - Balmain
7. Robbie Kamoto - Parra
8. Jake Trbojevic - Manly
9. Fabian Natoli - Manly
10. Frazer Masinamua - Parra
11. Euan Aitken - Illawarra
12. Kelepi Tanginoa - Parra
13. Bryce Cartwright - Penrith

14. Chad McGill - Parra
15. Salesi Funaki - Balmain
16. Jake Lawrence - Newcastle
17. Luke Vella - Canterbury
I dont think Nuilesa will be there ,he is to slow for it ,besdes Kennar is playing centres for storm in 20s , other than that a good looking side ,speed skill and size

Tucantango

Juniors
I dont think Nuilesa will be there ,he is to slow for it ,besdes Kennar is playing centres for storm in 20s , other than that a good looking side ,speed skill and size

I agree with you Ranga, Nuilesa is way too slow! I would sooner put his partner Morgan in first.

However are we not forgetting Lavaka from Penrith? He should definately be in contention to take one of the centre positions!

Regards,
Tuc

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think Lavaka would be a good bench option. Would provide impact and can play backrow and in the centres.

Doga

Juniors
What happened to all the HM/SG Ball Bulldogs players? are they suddenly crap? They had some talent in those teams!!

Tucantango

Juniors
What happened to all the HM/SG Ball Bulldogs players? are they suddenly crap? They had some talent in those teams!!

Doga,

I for one agree with you that there are quality players at the Dogs. Especially their SGB team. Nevertheless as it presently stands approximately half (or even more) of the SG Ball squad is from their HM team last year!

Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that all of the current 18 year olds didn't even get a start in last year's SG Ball team. For example Nuilesa and Vella were injured for all of the 2011 SGB season and Jasmin didn't even make the bench. The rest didn't even figure in the equation which is understandible when taking into account that the Dogs SGB team of 2011 were essentially the undefeated HM class of 2009.

In my humble opinion this season should see the 17 year olds mature, which is not a bad thing, whereby they should be a force to be reckoned with for 2013. In saying that I will acknowledge that Demetriou is having a blinder so far, nevertheless I believe his actions in being sent off in last year's U/16 State of Origin will count against him with respect to selection.

I will also add that the Dogs are not making good use of their outside backs at present, which is a shame given the strike power some of these players possess!

Regards,
Tuc

Tucantango

Juniors
Sorry Doga I left out one Doggies player who should definitely be in the mix! His name is Danny Fualalo. Should be in the SGB team but Andy Patmore the Doggies U/20 coach thought otherwise!

Gun player is young Fualalo! Definite pick IMO!

Regards,
Tuc

Last edited:

ranga

Juniors
Under 18s possible side

1. Clinton Gutherson - Manly
2. Alex Johnston - Souths
3. Tyrone Phillips - Souths
4. Alan Nuilesa - Canterbury
5. Richard Kennar - Melbourne
6. Mitchell Moses - Balmain
7. Robbie Kamoto - Parra
8. Jake Trbojevic - Manly
9. Fabian Natoli - Manly
10. Frazer Masinamua - Parra
11. Euan Aitken - Illawarra
12. Kelepi Tanginoa - Parra
13. Bryce Cartwright - Penrith

14. Chad McGill - Parra
15. Salesi Funaki - Balmain
16. Jake Lawrence - Newcastle
17. Luke Vella - Canterbury

ranga

Juniors
Chris Smith from Penrith could be a smokie .watched hin today and looks very good ,also the full back Dalin Watene ,apparently a year young but he can play ,4 tries today

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Chris Smith from Penrith could be a smokie .watched hin today and looks very good ,also the full back Dalin Watene ,apparently a year young but he can play ,4 tries today

Chris Smith has been impressive all season. Defends like a man possessed and runs great lines. Picked up from NT this season from a tip from ex-Panther Duncan Macgilvray who works for NT RL. Not sure if he qualifies for NSW.

As for Dallin, WOW is the only word to describe him. If Coote thinks when Gordon retires/leaves he has the Fullback spot, he is in for a rude shock in 2 years time when Dallin is knocking on the door of First Grade. Ranga, Dallin can definitely play SG Ball next year. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays 20's in 2013.

ranga

Juniors
Chris Smith has been impressive all season. Defends like a man possessed and runs great lines. Picked up from NT this season from a tip from ex-Panther Duncan Macgilvray who works for NT RL. Not sure if he qualifies for NSW.

As for Dallin, WOW is the only word to describe him. If Coote thinks when Gordon retires/leaves he has the Fullback spot, he is in for a rude shock in 2 years time when Dallin is knocking on the door of First Grade. Ranga, Dallin can definitely play SG Ball next year. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he plays 20's in 2013.

There are several players who should go to the 20/s from this side , they look good at he moment ,and I heard that most of the side today were crook with the flu

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think Cartwright and Lavaka should make the NSW 18's team from Penrith. If they win the comp a couple more may join them.

ashton

Juniors
Ive been watching the highlights of Penrith SG Ball, and two others to impress have been Daniel Cooper and the guy that wears the 17 jumper (lodge I think)

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Ive been watching the highlights of Penrith SG Ball, and two others to impress have been Daniel Cooper and the guy that wears the 17 jumper (lodge I think)

Cooper is a very good young halfback but unfortunately he is from QLD. Lodge played NSW 16's last year and has been great this season, I don't think he will make it a year young but should make it next year.

stretcher

Juniors
Under-16s possibles

1. Jye Dunning - Illawarra
2. Godfred Agyemang - Canterbury
3. Robert Jennings - Penrith
4. Sione Mata'utia - Newcastle
5. Jerome Mata-Leifi - Parramatta
6. Paul Momirovski - Souths
7. Matthew Dufty - St George
8. Jacob Saifiti - Central Coast
9. Ben Fraser - Roosters
10. Oliver Clark - Penrith
11. Tevita Pangai - Newcastle
12. Hame Sele - St George
13. Darcy Cox - Manly

14. Jacob Host - St George
15. Solomon Pope - North Sydney
16. Junior Tatola - Balmain
17. Jackson Hastings - Illawarra
Have any of you guys actually watched the Penrith harold matts games honestly if SONI HALA isnt the best front rower in the competition i will eat my hat and as for only two penrith kids good enough for the 16s well why are they on top of the comp???? I think you guys are only watching the snippets from the nswrl website....The only true indicator is when the season is done and all the top sides get to play each other will we see who the standout players are....

stretcher

Juniors
Have any of you guys actually watched the Penrith harold matts games honestly if SONI HALA isnt the best front rower in the competition i will eat my hat and as for only two penrith kids good enough for the 16s well why are they on top of the comp???? I think you guys are only watching the snippets from the nswrl website....The only true indicator is when the season is done and all the top sides get to play each other will we see who the standout players are....
And to add to that how on earth is the roosters hooker in your picks they have scored only 12 points in four games and they have 208 points against please the panther hooker along with dragons hooker have been the best ive seen.........

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Have any of you guys actually watched the Penrith harold matts games honestly if SONI HALA isnt the best front rower in the competition i will eat my hat...

Hala is the best front rower I have seen this season and Oliver Clark is probably the second best I have seen.

MA61

Juniors
I agree with stretcher what about manly's 1 Tom Trbojevic has made team of the week twice, I llawarra are yet to win

Latest posts