What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour of current All Black joining The Warriors?

Grapple

Bench
Anyone hear about this rumour?

Obviously it wouldn't be SBW, seeing as the new owners said they wouldn't go near the "show-pony". (even know they did enquire and as if they'd turn the bastard down)

I can imagine someone like Piri Weepu, considering his ties with Hayne... He'd be a way better version of Isaac Luke, with a better kicking game and less cannon ball tackles. With the Warriors depth it seems unlikely they'd need anyone though....

Brad Thorn? ;-)

Loudstrat

Coach
If true it is of general interest - otherwise the DCE thread should have been in the Manly forum, the SBW threads in the Roosters forum, and the Carney threads in the Moron forum.

Rod

Bench
Weepu has ties to league from way back so I guess he'd be the favourite. Plus with Maloney leaving he could nab a halves spot.

I always thought Ma'a Nonu would make a great league centre and seeing as he has a WC win now it would be a good time to go. That's just my personal guess though.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Would love it to be Dagg. When you think about it many of the all blacks players have acheived all they can in union, so if the warriors can match the financial side of it then i wouldn't be surprised at one jumping at some stage

OT but are the top echelon of NZ union players on serious money or poor compared to say the NRL, ARU and northern hemisphere?

Rod

Bench
OT but are the top echelon of NZ union players on serious money or poor compared to say the NRL, ARU and northern hemisphere?

Compared to the NRL the top All Blacks would be on about the same I reckon.

The Northern Hemisphere is a whole other story, we can't compete with their cash.

Grapple

Bench
Oh man... imagine Dagg?! Instant superstar. I thought the same in regards to Nonu, he would be a damaging centre. Also thought the same about the fact players might jump ship with the growing popularity of league and over saturation of union in NZ.

(found a similar thread in Warriors forum, apologies)

Cletus

First Grade
Would love it to be Dagg. When you think about it many of the all blacks players have acheived all they can in union, so if the warriors can match the financial side of it then i wouldn't be surprised at one jumping at some stage

They have to play for a NZ super 15 team to be eligible so they're not on as much as the crazy money they can get in France for example. I don't whether they get top ups like the Wallabies do from the ARU. But I'd say it would be someone who has played league before like Weepu.

Would it end up pissing off All Blacks fans though? I guess the player could play until the next World Cup and then go back to Union.

JoeD

First Grade
Regular first choice ABs would be on decent coin compared with NRL players. My guess is if true it would be fringe AB

TheDalek079

Bench
Israel Dagg. The superstar fullback. Mils was the incumbant, but Izzy was so hot they had to pick him instead for the World Cup. He is electrifying. I'd prefer him over Quade at the Roosters

Izz

Bench
Weepu and Nonu are too old. Don't need another fullback (Dagg), because we've got Locke and The Fish is contracted until 2015. Might be Rene Ranger. Wouldn't mind him rampaging in the centers with Hurrell.

He may not be an All Black, but I wouldn't mind Robbie Fruean. 23-year-old outside centre. Played for the Junior All Blacks. Stands at 190cm and weighs 110kg. Absolute monster of a player. Has an extremely powerful fend. Raw power is what defines him.

Parra

Referee
Any of the players mentioned so far would carve it up. Nonu probably too old.

Would be good to see. Ranger or Fruean especially.

Wilson1

Juniors
Sounds like a ridiculous rumour with no basis to me.

Being an All Black in New Zealand gives you a lot of respect. Going to league means that you are going into a different sport where you have no guarantee of success. Just being able to play for the All Blacks is worth a lot to these players.