What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

W Mason

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, Rose rumour was a shock to me too, i'd heard nothing about it either.

Mind you, given whats going on at Manly, every player will be rumoured as leaving

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not a bad thing.

So many variables

If he behaves himself
If he can not have a negative influence on young players
If he can still perform
If he is just doing it for the cash

If you have to get him to jump through all those hoops to be worthwhile as a bench player, then he seriously isn't worth the time, money or risk.

Memo to:
Matt Groat, Aaron Woods, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Matt Bell & Junior Moors.

If you guys want to stay in the top 17 on a weekly basis you have 2 weeks to turn it all around before the arrival of 'Big Willie' followed by the return of 'Big Red'.

If you don't, enjoy the NSW Cup and playing in the old Tigers strip.

I reckon they'll sign Mason. Put him on incentives. He's got everything to play for because he wants to reignite his NRL career. Sheens has been around long enough to get the best out of him. Just keep it simple with him, 20 hit ups and 40 tackles every game or you don't get paid.

Juniors
Memo to:
Matt Groat, Aaron Woods, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Matt Bell & Junior Moors.

If you guys want to stay in the top 17 on a weekly basis you have 2 weeks to turn it all around before the arrival of 'Big Willie' followed by the return of 'Big Red'.

If you don't, enjoy the NSW Cup and playing in the old Tigers strip.

Maybe Matt Groat, Aaron Woods, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Matt Bell, Junior Moorss and the entire team actually should watch the Sharks video from last night, they may learn a thing or 2.

Im not talking about the effort from the freak nor am i comparing skills or experience, im talking about heart, hunger and involvement, thats all.

One can only play to their limit, the Sharks boys last night looked like they were being chased by a mad man with a gun as opposed to ours who ran like they were part of an egg in the wooden spoon race.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Maybe Matt Groat, Aaron Woods, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Matt Bell, Junior Moorss and the entire team actually should watch the Sharks video from last night, they may learn a thing or 2.

Im not talking about the effort from the freak nor am i comparing skills or experience, im talking about heart, hunger and involvement, thats all.

One can only play to their limit, the Sharks boys last night looked like they were being chased by a mad man with a gun as opposed to ours who ran like they were part of an egg in the wooden spoon race.

I think you have the list a bit wrong. The fringe players like BMM and Moors aren't the problem, they have both played with aggression and hunger in the last two weeks.

The issue is the likes of Heighington and Fulton and the fact is Groat is currently out of his depth as a starter.

Definitely agree on the Sharks though. They run straight and hard, which we do not.

jasonl

Juniors
Interesting subject.

Why WT - who would probably be the most brand conscious outfit in the NRL (with the possible exception of Souths) would be seriously considering Mason is bizarre.

Not only is the man at least five years beyond his prime, he comes with the collective baggage of a lifetimes bogan idiocy.

Got some inexperienced 20yo props?

Stick em in with Mason for a year - that should do the trick.

What the hell is Sheens thinking?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Interesting subject.

Why WT - who would probably be the most brand conscious outfit in the NRL (with the possible exception of Souths) would be seriously considering Mason is bizarre.

Not only is the man at least five years beyond his prime, he comes with the collective baggage of a lifetimes bogan idiocy.

Got some inexperienced 20yo props?

Stick em in with Mason for a year - that should do the trick.

What the hell is Sheens thinking?

Last time I checked Mason has not:

- Pissed on a war memorial
- Refused to pay a cab fare then punched said cabbie in the face
- Resisted arrest
- Belted his Mrs (twice) after a night out on cruisers

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, hybrid tiger, I got no beef with you, but its a bit of a silly argument you're trying to make there.

You can't deny that Mason has a tendancy to become a disruptive inluence at clubs. Comparing his indiscretions to that of previous players this club had is silly. You're basically admitting he's a liability but you're willing to risk that.

Personally I believe that the season has started out badly enough already, don't do anything to make the bad start turn into a bad 3 seasons.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
How is it a silly argument?

Anyone who says they will not support the club if we sign Mason is a giant hypocrite.
Mason's biggest crime in the last few years is that he took a leak against a wall after a night out. So what?

The only real issue with Willie is that he is a bit of a dropkick and he has a big mouth. But there are players who have done far worse and they are still running around in the NRL. As long as he keeps his mouth closed and plays football I think he can do a job.

We are two props short and desperately need something in the forwards so unless you can suggest an alternative signing that is cheap and is available right now I don't see any better options.

I'll tell you what is a liability: going into a game with 20 and 21 year old props. Give me Mason to start a game ahead of a couple of kids anyday of the week.

Again, if there is a better option available right now, I'm all ears.

b.bear

Juniors
I reckon they'll sign Mason. Put him on incentives. He's got everything to play for because he wants to reignite his NRL career. Sheens has been around long enough to get the best out of him. Just keep it simple with him, 20 hit ups and 40 tackles every game or you don't get paid.

That would be nice but ,can you name any other player in our squad who can boast stats like that?

macnaz

Staff member

Anyone who says they will not support the club if we sign Mason is a giant hypocrite.
Mason's biggest crime in the last few years is that he took a leak against a wall after a night out. So what?

The only real issue with Willie is that he is a bit of a dropkick and he has a big mouth. But there are players who have done far worse and they are still running around in the NRL. As long as he keeps his mouth closed and plays football I think he can do a job.

We are two props short and desperately need something in the forwards so unless you can suggest an alternative signing that is cheap and is available right now I don't see any better options.

I'll tell you what is a liability: going into a game with 20 and 21 year old props. Give me Mason to start a game ahead of a couple of kids anyday of the week.

Well said , im with ya all the way on this one .

Tiger05

First Grade
I really can't stand him but I hope he signs and is picked to start at prop this week.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a silly argument because you are supporting his move here by saying he's troublesome but not as much as some former players. He's still troublesome.

Anyone who ever says they won't support a club because ... is a moron and a liar. I won't argue with you there.
I think you'll find he's done more than that. He has a history, especially at the roosters, of derailing younger players and practically ruining their careers.

He is a lot of a dropkick, he's past it, he'll demand a big salary and at best, he'll be on the bench. Last time we bought an old past it prop his name was Jason Cayless. That went well for us.

So we lose Galloway for a few weeks and its automatically panic stations? Willie Mason will not improve our pack. Our entire pack is lacking starch and dominance. One man cannot do the work of 5, especially not Mason. The best option is to keep rotating the props we have at the moment. They can't learn the rigours of NRL footy sitting in NSW Cup.

Patience is a better option.

Mason won't solve 10% of our problems.

You're deluded if you think he will.

The team is playing panic footy at the moment. Its painful to watch. We spread the ball wide to early and too often leaving the oppositions forwards relatively fresh all game, while our forwards spend all game tackling.

Its the most backwards and f**ked up game plan ever.

Latest posts