What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bagging teams in the media

Grapple

Bench
I think this is the new way teams should be coached.

Forget about drills, weight training and all that old rubbish, the coach needs to invest in a marketing team to pay previous team legends to bag them in the media all week after the team loses.

Look at the Tigers and Parra. Same thing happens all the time in the NBA. If you shame a team enough - "Tigers are Soft" etc, then I think mentally they bounce back better than any training. Maybe also slap them around a bit before the game?

Obviously this tactic doesn't work with The Titans, but I think we should give it a go.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah, spoke to soon on the Tigers there...

Grapple

Bench
But you can't argue that the Tigers didn't come out a different team though, that's the point of the thread. They just clocked off in the final minutes. It's pretty easy to see the cause and effect the media, and to some degree the fans have.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Tigers have showed the same qualities in every game this season, the problem is they don't show those qualities for the full eighty minutes.

Tiger-Sean

Juniors
tigers definitely played a lot better today. we are the kings of fu*&ing up in the last 5-10 minutes. so sick of it

Grapple

Bench
I disagree, Tim. They didn't show ANY amount of quality against Canberra and got physically thumped by Dragons. They've showed glimpes of quality this season, today they came out a different team but only played a 70 minute game.

Loudstrat

Coach
Lets say you are right. Media criticism is the best catalyst for improvement. ET's dick would be a monster.

The problem - Weidler would be Gibson-esque as a super coach.

Grapple

Bench
Do the players listen and react to Weidler though? In that scenario I doubt it would have any bearing on the situation in regards to team performance.

eozsmiles

Bench
Nothing like the DT rolling out Tommy for some "inspiration". If a bagging brings immediate improvement or success then the Titans should be fine and Michael Searle will dominate Wall St.

Grapple

Bench
Do you think a coach has never tried it before?

Maybe at halftime a Hasler flip out or a Bellamy spray works wonders but mostly it's like a broken record from the coach, you only need to look at Parra to see that. I'm talking about a constant beat down in public, that seems to do the trick.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Maybe at halftime a Hasler flip out or a Bellamy spray works wonders but mostly it's like a broken record from the coach, you only need to look at Parra to see that. I'm talking about a constant beat down in public, that seems to do the trick.

Coaches have been bagging their teams in the media all the time I've been watching the game. Not a particularly new phenomenon.

Can't see that changing anytime soon.

Grapple

Bench
Coaches have been bagging their teams in the media all the time I've been watching the game. Not a particularly new phenomenon.

Can't see that changing anytime soon.

I'm not talking about coaches, I thought that was pretty clear?

Constant for how long? 6 months?

Until they get the message or until it's do or die. Look at Parra and their run to the GF against the storm. The incentive almost has to be that great or near impossible..... or the media/fans/public get on them to such a degree before they can turn it around. Obviously the length of time hammers the point home more but it seems pretty clear that negative psychology has a big impact in the player and the team.

The amount of times it happens in the NBA is ridiculous. Just this week in the NBA the rumour was going around that Kentucky (a college basketball team) could beat The Washington Wizards (39 losses - 12 wins) a team of professionals. How did the Wizards respond? By beating Indiana and easily beating Philly by 21 points - a team miles better than them. When it happens so often, it's hard to flog it off as pure coincidence.

Loudstrat

Coach
OK. I geddit. Weidler, Pandaram, Bourbon Bec, Walter, Slothfield can dictate the outcome of the premiership by bagging a side. Which is Cronulla's problem - the press have not picked on them enough.

Welcome to LU's latest dumbf*ck troll - Grapple.

I don't see the Roosters bagged that much after the Storm game, their coach made some changes and had the players fired up and ready to annihilate the Warriors. There are probably some players or teams that are more receptive to media and fan criticism, but I'd say it's not common. They generally know when they are rubbish and just their pride will get them fired up for the next game. Trouble is you can't build success on getting fired up cos that requires you being shit or at least inconsistent.