What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
should have hit the grub harder

Freo played well and will be hard to beat over there this season

CyberKev

Staff member
Fine effort by Port too. Not big on talent, but have entered 2012 with a much improved attitude.

Missed on Melbourne and the Tigers first up, but all other games went as expected, although a couple were desperately tight.

Melbourne was the big loser from round one for mine. Very poor effort.

AuckMel

Bench
Only caught the last bit of the late game, but a good win for Port.

CK, Little MW made U15 cannons development squad for this year.

spritzer

Fine effort by Port too. Not big on talent, but have entered 2012 with a much improved attitude.

Missed on Melbourne and the Tigers first up, but all other games went as expected, although a couple were desperately tight.

Melbourne was the big loser from round one for mine. Very poor effort.

From time to time, desperation and never say die attitude can beat talent.

CyberKev

Staff member
From time to time, desperation and never say die attitude can beat talent.

Particularly when the talent is as top-ended as it is at St Kilda.

I like the big name Saint players, but the club can ill-afford to have many of them down on form, or results like yesterday's happen.

AuckMel

Bench
Two thumbs up!

Here's hoping the lad can forge a place in the indominable Calder talent machine.

Coming along very nicely. :)

Yes mate, all working out well so far. They play the Western Jets on wed and the Northern Knights the week after.

Played in the EDFL Div 1 Interleague team last year which won the Vic metro title. Played fullback and really liked it.

grobbelaar

Juniors
Record opening round attendances for the AFL, and record TV ratings as well. Up 65% on round one last year.

CyberKev

Staff member
Record opening round attendances for the AFL, and record TV ratings as well. Up 65% on round one last year.

Is it the TV ratings that are up 65%?

Even allowing for the one extra game being played, that's quite remarkable.

The lure of live and commercial free games is obviously telling.

Did Foxtel and AusStar subscription rates show a significant rise over the summer?

grobbelaar

Juniors
Is it the TV ratings that are up 65%?

Even allowing for the one extra game being played, that's quite remarkable.

The lure of live and commercial free games is obviously telling.

Did Foxtel and AusStar subscription rates show a significant rise over the summer?

Looking at Fox figures and 5 city metro FTA ratings, they went up from 3.2 mill in Round 1 2011 to 5.3 mill this year.

I'm not sure what the situation is with subscription rates, but both ch 7 and Fox are showing higher ratings despite four games being simulcast.

Also, Fox Footy was the top rating STV channel of the week.

CyberKev

Staff member
Good to see overall membership numbers on the climb.

I suspect that the heavier presence of AFL on Foxtel will support what I've been thinking for sometime.

On sites like this one and BigFooty, you get a skewed sense of the number of AFL supporters who only follow that code and likewise with the NRL on League Unlimited.

In reality, there is a very pronounced core of sports fans who follow multiple codes.

grobbelaar

Juniors
Good to see overall membership numbers on the climb.

I suspect that the heavier presence of AFL on Foxtel will support what I've been thinking for sometime.

On sites like this one and BigFooty, you get a skewed sense of the number of AFL supporters who only follow that code and likewise with the NRL on League Unlimited.

In reality, there is a very pronounced core of sports fans who follow multiple codes.

There's an article summarising all this on The Roar this morning:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/03/the-footys-back-and-its-better-than-ever/

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at Fox figures and 5 city metro FTA ratings, they went up from 3.2 mill in Round 1 2011 to 5.3 mill this year.

I'm not sure what the situation is with subscription rates, but both ch 7 and Fox are showing higher ratings despite four games being simulcast.

Also, Fox Footy was the top rating STV channel of the week.

anyone can make this up

you need to source in accordance with our forum guidelines to be taken seriously

AuckMel

Bench
I really hope this forum can become a place where the focus is on the games/game instead of ratings and crowd size.

Absolutely agree with, CK.