What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staying down for the penalty.

Grapple

Bench
How can this be ruled out of the game? It's getting ridiculous.

If he's hurt, fair enough, but staying down shouldn't warrant automatically going upstairs to the video ref. If it does go upstairs, and there's deemed to be little or no contact, and has caused a delay of game the penalty should be reversed. It would soon see the acting in the game removed, and not rewarded.

There's enough Refs and players out there to see if the shot was worth a penalty in real time - if they don't blow the whistle right away then it shouldn't be a penalty. Generally players will also run in when it's a foul shot giving you a clear indication of an offense.

Pigskin

Juniors
Dogs got up, Souths did not. Souths won the game. Respect to the Dogs. 2 points to Souths. Something needs to be done. Agreed.

Oink !

Danish

Referee
Bring in a rule that if a player stays down with a head injury to the point that the game must be stopped, that player must leave the field to be tested by an independent NRL doctor for concussion.

Only once cleared may he return to the field. Leaving then returning to the field will not cost the team an interchange of course.

This works in 2 ways. It protects player welfare by not allowing clubs to push players who are concussed to carry on, while also ensuring no player who isn't hurt is going to lie down (not going to dive if it means you are off the field for 5 mins being tested).

Bringing in a penalty for simulation would also be a good idea, although that might be tough to enforce

Slackboy72

Coach
If Ennis hadn't of hit him in the head it wouldn't have been a problem.
But instead, you want to blame the victim.

docbrown

Coach
Bring in a rule that if a player stays down with a head injury to the point that the game must be stopped, that player must leave the field to be tested by an independent NRL doctor for concussion.

Only once cleared may he return to the field. Leaving then returning to the field will not cost the team an interchange of course.

This works in 2 ways. It protects player welfare by not allowing clubs to push players who are concussed to carry on, while also ensuring no player who isn't hurt is going to lie down (not going to dive if it means you are off the field for 5 mins being tested).

Bringing in a penalty for simulation would also be a good idea, although that might be tough to enforce

That's a pretty smart way of looking at it.

The game's rugby league not professional diving aka soccer.

BranVan3000

Coach
lmao Dogs may have apparently not stayed down, but they're certainly acting like bitches now. You lost to the better team, get over it.

Grapple

Bench
It has nothing to do with losing. I don't care if it's Ennis or Luke, it simply has no place in the game.

Raider_69

Post Whore

100% agree on all except im not sure on the simulaton though, its really tough to enforce in a contact sport like RL, as opposed to Soccer.

The rest is spot on and will immediately stop the dogs

BunniesMan

Immortal
A Dogs player stayed down to get a penalty ffs. I had no problem with it.

People can be so stupid, what is wrong with staying down if it results in the proper decision being made. I've never seen a player stay down when they haven't been hit soccer style because they'd be laughed out of the sport. Players stay down when they get a whack to the head. Fair enough.

And simulation penalties are unenforceable. Refs aren't doctors.

Automatic 2 week suspension for any player who lays down after a shot and that shot is not worthy of a charge after it has been reviewed. Next offense is 4 weeks then 6 etc...

Soft c**ks like Adam Reynolds and that fat f**k from the Warriors need to be stamped out of the game

Grapple

Bench
A Dogs player stayed down to get a penalty ffs. I had no problem with it.

People can be so stupid, what is wrong with staying if it results in the proper decision being made.

And simulation penalties are unenforceable. Refs aren't doctors.

Because it's called acting, and has NOTHING to do with playing Rugby League? Let the officials do their job and just play the game. Simple really.

True Refs aren't doctors, but like I said, it's pretty easy to see when someone is genuinely hit. As much of grub as Ennis is, he barely touched him. Come on now, let's be honest, you can run into the line at full speed for a hit up but you can't handle that? :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are putting stuff on report that would normally in a game not been noticed or just blown for a penalty just so they can justify giving a penalty on replay. Get rid of the on report bit, get rid of the kick for touch for a penalty to lesson the benefit and lets get on with the game!

Give me the old days where the ref would just make a team mate play the ball and carry on with the game!

Allo

Juniors
I like Souths but have lost some respect for them. To see them blatantly milk for a penalty was poor sportsmanship to me. Then to see a Bulldogs player get hit high, which rattled him, and still play the ball while groggy and not get a penalty. Disappointing because this will become the norm unless something is done to stop it.

Seems to be becoming a trend for Souths. It reminded me of last year.
Youtube "Issac Luke Takes a Dive". Even South supporters comment that he faked it.

While Melbourne are taking wrestling lessons seems Souths are taking acting lessons from Russel Crow himself.

Last edited:

pirie

Juniors
If it does go upstairs, and there's deemed to be little or no contact, and has caused a delay of game the penalty should be reversed. It would soon see the acting in the game removed, and not rewarded.

How can you say the player is hurt or not. You can't give a penalty just for someone looking to fake it

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
hit in the head?

can't get up?

sounds like concussion to me, son...

best way to deal with concussion is to take the player off the field to ensure that the injured player does not cop any further injuries to the head.. and maybe give him a week or two off, just to fix it.

either that, or you're a faking cheater looking for a penalty..

so best way to solve the issue is that if a bloke has been hit that hard that he can't get up for at least a minute, he should be taken off the field with no further part allowed in the game...

that orta fix it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think to strike a balance, as you can get a hit to the temple that dazes but you are ok within a few minutes, the player who stays down for a head injury should have to leave the field and be prevented from returning for the rest of that half. If it is in the first half they should have to pass a concussion test from an NRL DR at HT before being OK'd to return. Given the research going on in NFL about the link with concussion and dementia it would be wise for the NRL to be covering itself anyway.

Nemesis

Bench
hit in the head?

can't get up?

sounds like concussion to me, son...

best way to deal with concussion is to take the player off the field to ensure that the injured player does not cop any further injuries to the head.. and maybe give him a week or two off, just to fix it.

either that, or you're a faking cheater looking for a penalty..

so best way to solve the issue is that if a bloke has been hit that hard that he can't get up for at least a minute, he should be taken off the field with no further part allowed in the game...

that orta fix it.
lol Soward

2010Dragons

Bench
To all the NRL coaches, if you want your team to get a cheap and easy penalty tell your players to stay down until the replay .
This is not good footy and bordering on cheating but it will win you games....what has happen to the Rugby league I once use to play and watch?
Diving and pretending to be injured doesn't belong to my beloved game.
Leave this sort of bullshit with soccer.. They do it the best.!!!!