What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if you were Bluey?

JoeD

First Grade
must have watched it about 20 plus time now… even though we lost, it was hell of a good game...
sadist. lucky enough to go to both GF and therefor have never watched them on TV

aargon

I think the problem is actually at dummy half. Friend is a great hooker but I think the opposition are targetting him and his energy is sapped by defending. As a result he is less dynamic with ball in hand and our forwards struggle to get a roll on and appear flat footed.

I disagree. Our problem at the moment isnt our attack or defense up the middle where he plays - its out wide where our centers and wingers are standing around looking at each other....

And Friend isnt a razzle dazzle type of hooker - He's more Mr Reliable than Mr Dynamic.

kier

Juniors
I disagree. Our problem at the moment isnt our attack or defense up the middle where he plays - its out wide where our centers and wingers are standing around looking at each other....

And Friend isnt a razzle dazzle type of hooker - He's more Mr Reliable than Mr Dynamic.

My point wasn't an attack on Friend - I think he's a great buy and a great hooker. I just think that the opposition have realised that if they stiffle our potential attack from dummy half and reduce us to short, telegraphed drives by flatfooted props then everything else falls apart.

The ptb is the launchpad for the forwards which in turn becomes the catapult for the attacks out wide - if we're only making less than 20m in the first three tackles than the centres/wings are on a hiding to nothing (whoever they are).

I'm sure having two players capable of sharing the dummy half duties will instill trepidation in any opposition defense and will see all our attacking players on the front foot. (and I mean players with proper dummy half skills - not just stepping in to dish out a few simple passes).

I feel Locke taking the decisions for tackles 1 & 2 (and possibly even tackle 3) would give Friend greater effectiveness in the latter tackles (giving Locke the time/space to take a support runner position for later in the set). Locke has the ball skills, vision and footspeed to attack from the ptb and get players moving forward. Also, as many sets will have begun from a kick return he's highly likely to be positionally in place to take on the role.

I understand dummy half running is popular with simple people cos it doesn't require any skills and is easy to understand, but against a proper defense it's much less effective than feeding runners with momentum. The most important job of the hooker, in attack, is to be there in time at the play the ball and direct runners towards areas of weakness around the ruck. It helps when the forwards have a clue.

Now I haven't been too impressed with Friend so far, his communication and service probably needs to take some of the blame for our poor go-forward. But dummy half running has nothing to do with it.

Rich102

Staff member
The bit about being a poor skills coach but a good motivator got me. Our lot don't seem motivated at all. As for playing favorites......

aargon

I'm willing to wait and see how the next few weeks pan out before throwing the kitchen sink at Mr Bluey.

We win the next 2-3 games and we're right back in it.

Keep the faith.

vvvrulz

Coach
There used to be a 'matter of faith' song going around back in the early 2000's. Wonder what happened to all that.

aargon

dont know why they called it a matter of faith.

keep the faith sounds better.

keep the faith boys. :D

aargon

I go back to my OP.

1.Johnson (not a week in week out player in 2011)
2.Ropati (missed the whole season)
3.Friend (missed the whole season)
4.Hurrel - first year rookie
5.Henry - first year rookie
6.Mataulino - bench player in 2011
7.Lousi - first year rookie
8.Taii - second year rookie - wasn't a regular in 2011
9.Taylor - not a regular in first grade in later half of 2011

That’s more than 1/2 our squad who are not accustomed to the weekly grind of the NRL.

Then you add in Maloney - who has nothing to lose this year as he's off to the Rooster in 2013.

Drop in Vatuvei - some days good - most days crap.

Luck this year has finally broken down with an injury.

I think we'll struggle to make the top 8 this year - you heard it hear first.

vvvrulz

Coach
I go back to my OP.

1.Johnson (not a week in week out player in 2011)
2.Ropati (missed the whole season)
3.Friend (missed the whole season)
4.Hurrel - first year rookie
5.Henry - first year rookie
6.Mataulino - bench player in 2011
7.Lousi - first year rookie
8.Taii - second year rookie - wasn't a regular in 2011
9.Taylor - not a regular in first grade in later half of 2011

That’s more than 1/2 our squad who are not accustomed to the weekly grind of the NRL.

Then you add in Maloney - who has nothing to lose this year as he's off to the Rooster in 2013.

Drop in Vatuvei - some days good - most days crap.

Luck this year has finally broken down with an injury.

I think we'll struggle to make the top 8 this year - you heard it hear first.

I agree about missing the eight, the lack of experience will start to really show. Two of the most experienced are terribly flaky when out of form (Mateo) and a non selection (Inu).