What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach fed up with Eels

Gronk

Staff member
The pressure of six losses finally took its toll on Stephen Kearney on Sunday, the Parramatta coach admitting he's fed up with his team's performances after watching them lose to Cronulla 24-18 at Toyota Stadium.
The Eels genuinely looked in the contest right up until the final whistle - largely because of an outstanding game by fullback Jarryd Hayne - but Kearney admitted it was difficult to find positives after yet another defeat.
That they were still a chance to force extra-time until the last play of the game didn't impress the coach either.
"In terms of being proud of them in defeat ... I'd love to be sitting here and telling you I am. But I'm not," Kearney said after the match.
Hayne did everything he possibly could to haul the Eels back into the game after they'd fallen behind 18-6 in the first half, with the Sharks scoring through Matthew Wright, Jason Bukuya and Ben Pomeroy.
The 24-year-old, having scored the opening try of the match, turned provider by executing a magnificent flick pass for Cheyse Blair's try and then levelled the scores at 18-18 right on halftime when he completed his double.
While Hayne was brilliant, Kearney said he remained disappointed with the output of most of his squad through the first seven rounds of the season, suggesting there were only half a dozen who could be proud of how they've performed.
And that short list does not include high-priced recruit Chris Sandow, who was hooked with ten minutes to play as he struggled with a shoulder injury.
"With the game in the balance and the situation that it was, I wanted to make a call to pull him off," Kearney said.
"He was carrying an injury and he'd been down on the ground a couple of times with it.
"... He's probably part of a team that is struggling for a bit of form at the moment.
"I'm disappointed in how the whole team is going and obviously Chris is a part of it.
"He can contribute a lot more to the team than he is at the moment.
"It's not just him. We're a team here (and) we're battling at the minute."
Cronulla defended grimly and had enough class to get over the line thanks mostly to five-eighth Todd Carney, who threw a perfect cut out pass for Stewart Mills to score the only try of the second half, ensuring the win.
Cronulla moved into the top four with their first five-game winning streak since 2008, but skipper Paul Gallen is demanding more.
"It's not really an outstanding thing to our playing group," Gallen said.
"We knew from our pre-season ... we'd be in this situation and now it's just up to us to start to handle it."
Eels skipper Nathan Hindmarsh was equally downcast about the game, lamenting their inability to score at the end when they had countless sets on the Sharks tryline.
"It is two weeks in a row where we've lost games we easily should have won," he said.
http://www.nrl.com/coach-fed-up-with-eels-as-sharks-win-24-18/tabid/10874/newsid/66895/default.aspx

Kearney has got to discover a miracle cure soon. He's job is definetly on the line. You can only give so many benefits of the doubts to the coaching staff.

eel01s

Bench
I am fed up with them too!

We had so much ball in good field position, and for the second week in a row just kept shooting blanks!

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing for Kearney to come out and say this. He's 100% correct though.
Hopefully it fires them up.

Gronk

Staff member
I actually thought we were better than the Knights game. So we have improved.

It was just the errors and penalties that was the difference.

Bazal

Post Whore
That's good Steve. It's taken a while, but at least you finally got it. FWIW I'm fed up with your coaching!

Eels Dude

Coach
People say SK needs to make some tough decisions. Perhaps the tough decision is standing down or at the very least swallowing pride and asking for help to dig the club out of this hole.

Vira

Juniors
it took you this long to be fed up??? make some changes to the line up, put in players who want to play first grade. Your formula suck Kearney...

Parra

Referee
Luke Burt gets dropped for this tripe.

With this coach the team is performing better than they should be. Kearney is the last bloke who should be fed up.

The last two games we should have won. It's pathetic we haven't had a win from the those games. Piss poor penalties ruined us today along with some defensive lapses which should have been avoided. So pissed!!! The game was there for the taking so annoying.

Sandow can piss off back to Souths of he doesn't pull his finger out. Run the ball that's what you're good at Sandow!!!