What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT:Kangaroos backrower Dave Taylor stalls on signing Titans deal as doubt persists ov

Mickyd39

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ld-coasts-future/story-e6frexnr-1226331384932

TEST star Dave Taylor is still yet to sign a contract with the Titans as uncertainty around the club's future continues to stall negotiations.
The Titans spruiked the signing of Taylor - who will make his Australia debut on Friday - on March 19 following the South Sydney giant's man of the match performance against Penrith.
Days later it emerged Taylor hadn't officially inked the deal and only held a verbal agreement with the Gold Coast club.
Taylor's contract can't be registered with the NRL until after round 13 but the Queensland Origin forward is yet to officially sign any paperwork.
READ THE FULL STORY HERE.

Taylor's hesitance comes after Melbourne and Australian halfback Cooper Cronk backed out of a massive four-year deal with the Titans as speculation struck the club.
Taylor's manager, Col Davis, declined to comment yesterday but it is understood that his star client is holding out for the club and Australian Rugby League Commission to shed some light on the Titans' future.
The big backrower wants to sign with Gold Coast and isn't negotiating with other clubs but the former Bronco is chasing assurances of the Titans' existence beyond this year.

If he pulls out of his deal with the Titans, Parra should go after him, BIG TIME. We should have the bucks to make a decent offer.

I think he is what may be missing at the moment, among other things.:D

We don't have a big, wide running second rower.

Fui is doing is his best in that role at the moment, i have no doubt he will get better the more time he spends out there but he who knows when he will call it quits.

Taylor is still young and i think his best footy is ahead of him.

eels_fan

First Grade
he is definitely the type of player we need, but there is ZERO chance he will come to us

The reason he is leaving the Rabbitohs is because his partner wants to relocate their family back to QLD to be closer to their families. If he was staying in Sydney the Rabbitohs would be keeping him

Craig Johnston

First Grade
he's not backing out, every time he's won a motm award or been interviewed post match he's been asked and he's re-iterated that he's committed to going there

Gronk

Staff member
The bunnies still have last right of offer in the next few weeks. If he's only made a verbal agreement, then he can probably walk away from the Tits. I'd be worried too, many players were left owed money after the Northern Eagles went bust.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
paperwork is just a formalisation. an email from his manager is enough to be legally binding. if he did decide to change his mind, the titans are entitled to compensation

Delboy

First Grade
I heard from a good source that his asking price is $500k per season, is that too much for an impact player that drifts in and out of matches.?

Not sure myself

Djay

Juniors
I heard from a good source that his asking price is $500k per season, is that too much for an impact player that drifts in and out of matches.?

Not sure myself

I thought it was around 350-400k mark? But I definitely agree his pretty inconsistent.

Gronk

Staff member
paperwork is just a formalisation. an email from his manager is enough to be legally binding. if he did decide to change his mind, the titans are entitled to compensation

You have assumed many things whilst typing that, CJ.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
he is definitely the type of player we need, but there is ZERO chance he will come to us

The reason he is leaving the Rabbitohs is because his partner wants to relocate their family back to QLD to be closer to their families. If he was staying in Sydney the Rabbitohs would be keeping him
Yep, he was always coming back to QLD. Either Bronc's or Tits his missus definitely wears the pants in that family.

Eels Dude

Coach

The NRL doesn't register contracts until round 13 now to give that players current club the last right of reply. As long as the the contract isn't lodged with the NRL already Souths have every right to make a counter offer and retain him.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
The NRL doesn't register contracts until round 13 now to give that players current club the last right of reply. As long as the the contract isn't lodged with the NRL already Souths have every right to make a counter offer and retain him.

and i'd agree that would be the only reason he'd not go through with the titans.

the bunnies however already declared they've been priced out. otherwise they would have matched it already while the iron is hot

Grail

Juniors
If he pulls out of his deal with the Titans, Parra should go after him, BIG TIME. We should have the bucks to make a decent offer.

I think he is what may be missing at the moment, among other things.:D

We don't have a big, wide running second rower.

Fui is doing is his best in that role at the moment, i have no doubt he will get better the more time he spends out there but he who knows when he will call it quits.

Taylor is still young and i think his best footy is ahead of him.

As others have said, the reason he is leaving the Bunnies is to go to QLD for family reasons.

Saying that, even if he weren't going to QLD, we don't need that style player. We need a good strong partner for Mannah in the middle. A prop that bends the line with every hit and threatens to or does break it. A wide running backrower should be secondary to this. Fui should be this style player, but he has struggled in that role for a couple years now.

Gronk

Staff member
yes i did assume but, the lack of dispute of an acknowledged agreement during post match interviews isn't enough of an indicator for you?

Sure, but how do you know that his acceptance of the Titans offer was not conditional upon due diligence by Taylor's team.

I'll answer that for you. You don't. ;-)

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Sure, but how do you know that his acceptance of the Titans offer was not conditional upon due diligence by Taylor's team.

I'll answer that for you. You don't. ;-)

true again, i don't know for certain. but the probability of mismanagement of the process from taylor's advisors is highly unlikely.

just wouldn't be holding my breath on this.