What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fat Sandow sent to NSW Cup

sharko

Juniors
Christ Parra are a rabble, a bunch of losses and their fair weather fans start to go missing, the internal strife at the club bubbles out into the open..first it is their rabble of a board and a ceo in Osborne, then it is Hindy having a whinge because their forwards have no ticker, then it is on Hayne because he is a bludger at training and up himself as a person, now it is Sandow because he earns a good paycheck but is not the messiah they were hoping for.

I hope they are on notice with the new commission.

jbl31649

Juniors
I wonder if Tonga will get his spot back on the Qld team over Neilson ?

I really rated Sandow at the start of the season and Roberts and I still think he is capable of great things but he is a confidence play and runs off of instincts and when things aren't going up he tries to conjure up miracles instead of just playing his natural game. I don't think Kearnys rigid style is what the eels need I think a sheens or Brian smith type coaches what they need.

His weight issues may be a by product of depression ( don't laugh it does happen) who knows maybe this "punishment " is what he needs to hit some form diddnt it work for Carney when he was at the roosters I can't remember.

They had a Brian Smith type coach. Brian Smith remember he got them to the Finals just like Anderson. Then they sacked them both.

gronkathon

First Grade
It would be interesting to see Sandow if Parra had some line running back rowers.

I guess that will be aided when the past it plodder gives it up at seasons end

Mr Saab

Referee
They had a Brian Smith type coach. Brian Smith remember he got them to the Finals just like Anderson. Then they sacked them both.

They did sack Smith, but he had been there from 1997-half of 2006....way too long for a Smith style coach.
Parra are a basket case and they look like sending their best player since th 80s out with a spoon

Eels Dude

Coach
It would be interesting to see Sandow if Parra had some line running back rowers.

I guess that will be aided when the past it plodder gives it up at seasons end

Justin Horo is our best line running back-rower but can't seem to get a game this year.

Loudstrat

Coach
Do you have anything to disprove the claims? I'd be interested to read.

And it's only been denied by Eels fans having a hissy fit.

Firstly, it would make sense if Crowe knew the precise figure. He would have been told what offer we needed to match. Secondly, I've heard 3rd parties including managers say the same number.

You said 400k before, there is no extra evidence suggesting 400k. You're just pulling numbers out of your arse.

Bretto asked for evidence. Happy to provide my sources. At least he didnt do the traditional Bunniesman post - where he sets himself up to look like an idiot.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frep5x-1226049577163
Rabbitohs half Chris Sandow signs four-year $1.6 million deal with Parramatta Eels

PARRAMATTA have won the war for Chris Sandow, signing the Rabbitohs playmaker to a four-year deal late last night.

Sandow appeared certain to join the Eels until late last week when Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe looked to have convinced him to stay.
But early today, the Rabbitohs announced that Sandow would be leaving the club at season's end, and where else but on Twitter.
Crowe beat his own team's PR machine to the punch, tweeting "Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550k a year''.
The Rabbitohs had called on Sandow's teammates, club greats and fans to convince him to stay at Redfern.

But it's believed people close to the cheeky half, including family members, persuaded him to make the change and sign the rich deal.And now the furious response from Crowe and Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson throws into doubt the halfback's future at the club for the rest of the year.
"Unfortunately Chris has met his Alan Bond," Richardson said in a prepared statement.
“We’re very disappointed to learn of Chris’ decision but we wish him the best for the future.''
It was a reference to the famous quote attributed to the late Kerry Packer after he sold Channel Nine to Bond for $1 billion in 1987 then bought it back from him in 1990 for $700 million as Bond's business empire crumbled.
"You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I've had mine," Packer was quoted as saying at the time.
Parramatta offered Sandow $1.6 million for the next four years and the Rabbitohs couldn't compete after securing his halves partner John Sutton and winger Nathan Merritt recently.
Crowe's decision to reveal to the world that Sandow's Eels deal is worth $550,000 a year is quite remarkable, and surely won't be well received by the halfback and his management.
When asked about the figure in Crowe's tweet, 22-year-old Sandow was coy.
"I don't have Twitter mate, it's too much technology for me, so I don't know what he's saying on there," he said.
A Twitter storm followed after Crowe's announcement, with Souths fans lambasting the playmaker while fans from other clubs attacked the club for being petulant.
``Yet another disgraceful effort from Souths. Rusty & Richo ripping into Sandow. Why would you stay? Poor form,'' wrote one Twitter user.
Rabbitohs fans complained about the death of loyalty and perceived flaws in the NRL's salary cap system.
The dynamic No.7, who played his best game of the season last week in the Rabbitohs' thrashing of Cronulla, said there was more to his decision than just money, but he had to think of his young family.
"No it's not about the cash. I just want a new journey, new start for my life and hopefully I play good footy there, but I'm still a South Sydney Rabbitoh until the end of 2011," said Sandow after training at Redfern Oval on Wednesday.
"I've been at Souths so long now and I appreciate Souths for giving me the opportunity to play NRL.
"Heaps of people have been talking to me about not leaving Souths but I have to do what's best for me and my family and I have three little kids now so I have to look after them before me. In saying that I've still got to love myself before others."
Despite the backhanded statement from Richardson, Sandow said he had the full support of his team-mates when he informed them earlier today of his decision.
Sandow said he hadn't fallen out with Crowe over the move.
""He had a few words to me, he basically wanted me to stay but he said what's best for me.
"He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, giving me a hand. He said if I go ahead and go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate, but it's my choice."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...kes-the-eels-massive-bait-20110504-1e8kt.html

Osborne lets fly at Crowe as Sandow takes the Eels' massive bait

Finding his way to Parramatta ... Chris Sandow.

PARRAMATTA'S new recruit Chris Sandow found himself stuck in the middle of a bitter war of words between the Eels and South Sydney after Rabbitohs owner Russell Crowe claimed on Twitter that the halfback left his club for a deal worth a staggering $550,000 a season.
Souths chief executive Shane Richardson also weighed in as he announced Sandow's departure in a media release yesterday, saying of the player: ''Unfortunately for us he has met his Alan Bond."
Crowe tweeted: ''Chris Sandow to Parramatta at $550K year'', a figure denied by the Eels, who say privately the 22-year-old is joining them next year on a four-year contract worth about $400,000 a season, including third-party deals. Another source placed the figure closer to $450,000.

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne said he would not discuss Sandow's salary but left little doubt about his disdain for the actions of Crowe and Richardson earlier in the day. ''I was a little surprised. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and it's not a way that we would have reacted,'' Osborne said. ''But that's really a matter for South Sydney and other people to judge. The people involved need to have a look at themselves.''
Crowe's valuation of Sandow's new deal at the Eels would make the halfback, who has not made a senior representative appearance, one of the highest-paid players in the NRL.
Parramatta, however, rejected suggestions they had agreed to pay Sandow well beyond what he was worth, a point of view alluded to by Richardson. The Souths chief compared Sandow to the late Kerry Packer, who was famously reported to have said ''an Alan Bond only happens to you once'' after the businessman paid Packer $1.05 billion for the Channel Nine network in 1987. Three years later Packer bought back Nine from Bond for little more than $200 million.
Osborne said: ''I might look like Alan Bond, but I don't feel like him, no. We've got a wonderful player at a very reasonable price. We're looking forward to having him here next year. He made it clear that the Stephen Kearney factor and the direction he's taking us as a club was a major factor.''
Souths, having re-signed five-eighth John Sutton last month, are now on the hunt for a new halfback. Among the potential options are off-contract Warriors playmaker James Maloney - coincidentally a Parramatta junior - and veterans Craig Gower and Brett Finch, who is playing at Wigan under Souths' incoming coach Michael Maguire. Emerging Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds is highly rated but is sitting out this season with a knee injury.
The Eels' acquisition of Sandow spells bad news for present halfback Jeff Robson, who is off contract, although Osborne said: ''I think Steve would like to keep Jeff.''
The struggling club is also keen to strengthen its outside backs, although Osborne said reports that centre Joel Reddy was leaving were incorrect. ''We're still talking to him,'' he said.
For Sandow, there was much to take in. He said Crowe had told him he would respect whatever decision he made but did not comment on the actor's outing of his supposed Eels income on Twitter. ''He had a few words to me. He basically wanted me to stay but he said [do] what's best for me,'' Sandow said. ''He's going to be upset but he's there on the side just to talk to me, give me a hand. He said if I go to Parramatta he'll still be my mate.''
Sandow said the move west was just the latest major development in his life. He acknowledged that he did not even know how to get to Parramatta yet.
''I moved from Cherbourg to Sydney. That was a big change for me,'' he said. ''It's different from back home in the bush. You can walk everywhere in Cherbourg. You don't need a car there. But in Sydney you get lost just going down the road. I actually don't [know how to get to Parramatta] at the moment but I'll find my way there.''
He said he had not signed with Parramatta for money. ''I play footy because I love it. All my family back in Cherbourg grew up the same way but just [made] the wrong decisions in life. They wanted to stay home there in Cherbourg and do nothing with their life. I moved away and did something with my life. I grew up on a mission in the bush … $1000 is a lot for me, even $100. You can say [I'm a] millionaire but I'm just Chris Sandow to me.''

Now Bunnies Homo - Im sure a super copper like you could work out that the SMH or News Ltd are not my arse.

But hey, you are free to believe the phone chucker mid tantrum. All you had to say is that Sandow isnt performing at $400k worth of value. But if you like hype and intrigue - how much did Phone chucker pay to make Greg Inglis the first person ever to walk out on a Broncos contract?

gronkathon

First Grade
Justin Horo is our best line running back-rower but can't seem to get a game this year.

He runs a decent line but the problems he had from his first NSW Cup stint still remain.

His lateral shift is terrible in defence and it is so very easy for opposition players to get under his skin and put him off his game.

Frankly in terms of attack you cannot have Paulo & Reni in the same side as both just want to ball play without taking the angle cut runs that are required.

gronkathon

First Grade
No idea at all. Really I cant see why he was not paut in the backrow for you guys. He is wasted at prop

Loudstrat

Coach
I agree. I suspect its one of those attitude things - doesnt get on with SK or someone. I thought he really put in, especially to overcome a nasty injury.

I have to say that all the goss suggests SK's priority is young players and juniors. That explains Burt (he is past his best but no one can say any of our 3/4's are better). I like the reliance on juniors and youth for a number of reasons, but not at the expense of competition points.

Tonga to me is a major let down. Ive seen nothing to suggest he has been worth it, or that he combines at all with Hayne, Roberts or Sandow. Roberts has been pleasing, and Sandow has shown glimpses of great stuff. That said, you could have Cronk and Thurston in that lineup and we'd struggle. Of the old guys, only Hayne and Mannah and to a lesser extent Maitua can hold their head up. Keating hasnt lost form - he just never had much to start with. Allgood has been a find, but he isnt a real asset just yet.

gronkathon

First Grade
I really was suprised that Kearney did not chase more of the Warriors NYC team as they came off contract, the Parra 3/4 line has zero penetration unless Hayne is hitting through there or Fui is playing the fringes.

That said watch Esi Tonga rip my Tigers a new one next week, he is exactly the kind of player we make look good

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree. I suspect its one of those attitude things - doesnt get on with SK or someone. I thought he really put in, especially to overcome a nasty injury.

He made a derogetory comment about SK on his facebook page when someone asked him why he wasn't in first grade and has been out of favour ever since.

WayneBennett

Juniors
01_14_1---Black-Pot-Bellied-Pig_web.jpg

I actually think it is a bit harsh slamming Sandow for the Eels poor form. There are a dozen other players not cutting it either - especially in the forwards - which is going to make any halfbacks job extremely difficult.

Very true mate, wonder if he was Maori if he'd be getting the same criticism.

Funny that Benny Roberts his partner in crime isn't copping any?

NRL

Juniors
I actually think it is a bit harsh slamming Sandow for the Eels poor form. There are a dozen other players not cutting it either - especially in the forwards - which is going to make any halfbacks job extremely difficult.

Agreed. There has been too much of a shake up over at Parra. The whole situation is a mess and Sandow is certainly not to blame. They took a gamble on switching around so many players, and they lost. Who knows how long it will take to get these boys working well together? The magic is gone.

Latest posts